Friday afternoon at the rock houses. (pic heavy!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I got a phonecall friday morning from Andy2112, letting me know that he had the day off and wanted to go for a hike somewhere, and asked If I would like to join him. Well I jumped at the chance to get out for a few hours and it was decided we would go and visit the rock houses not too far away in kinver.

We parked the car on a national trust carpark and headed up the track with no real idea where we were going. A little while up the track and we saw a few lesser used paths, following one we came to one of the more hidden groups of rock houses in and around these parts.

The first of the houses had an extention built on the front.
dscn0610i.jpg

img0054hef.jpg

img0061t.jpg

dscn0611wn.jpg

An old chimney and what we beleive were once cupboards.
img0058sf.jpg

dscn0612o.jpg

img0059x.jpg

Outside was the remains of a huge well. Naturally we dropped a rock down and it dissapeared for a few seconds before we heard it land. I reckon must have been about 80/100 feet!
dscn0607c.jpg

A few natural shelters?
img0052us.jpg

img0051u.jpg

We then went to check out the view from the roof. but first we had to get up there.
dscn0609a.jpg

dscn0602e.jpg

We decided we should have a brew and buscuit break here.
img0066p.jpg

dscn0603r.jpg

Looks like this was an old climbing site too. Alot of the cliffs have old rope burns in them like this.
img0065eb.jpg

Wish you were here JonathanD!!!
img0063wj.jpg

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Thats amazing, only ever new of one rock house, but that was a climbers/walkers rest, these are ace almost like the troglodyte homes, added to my must go and see list.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Do you ever get down to Drakelow tunnel system?

Yep, got to have a look round not long before it was sold off. Excellent afternoon out, it was of particular interest to me as my grandad did some building work there during the war. The tunnels are on the same road as the rock houses so not too far to have a bimble round there too.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Dunno how I managed to miss this thread. Fascinating place. Rumour has it that it is still used by weird folks teaching room clearance drills. The houses were in use up until the fifties. Sadly the rock became unstable and folks had to move out. It's quite weird that I walk past that place almost everyday when surveying (the common in the background is where I monitor adders), and never really noticed how extensive they were. I'm pretty familiar with the other rock caves and houses and even the ones well hidden from the public. But those escaped me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE