Flour

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2003
Where is a good place to get improvised flour...? I've heard about using sedge seeds, but little else...

Cheers,

Matt

Kev P

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 12, 2003
Beds
I tried pendulous sedge carex pendula seedsfor the first time this weekend. They were relatively easy to gather in reasonalble amounts and winnowing away the husks was no problem. Once ground, mixed with a bit of water and cooked as dampers they were a bit bland but ok. No worse than if they had of been made with wholemeal flour.

As Tony mentioned acorns work well and taste good.[/i]

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Tony said:
Acorns, hazel nuts, sweet chestnuts are all very available and easy to experiment with

In some parts of France (mostly South-West), the Chestnut tree has been called the "bread tree". During the 16th to 19th centuries, chestnuts were a staple food for rural folk. According to one book on traditional food, an agricultural worker would eat 3kg of boiled chestnuts for breakfast!

My brother-in-law tried to make chestnut flour last autumn... Small chestnuts... it took him a *very* long time to get enough flour to make four or five pancakes.

Acorns are much more plentiful, but are they really edible? Not just non-toxic, but nice to eat?

Keith.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
on a slight tangent - the staple diet of the Roman armies was wheat, ground in the field into a very coarse wholemeal flour.This was made into bread with the addition of BEER! this vital real ale addition contained the yeast to make real bread (with a splash of olive oil and salt)I know its not really bushcraft but its pretty good damper. :lol:

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
If you're going to use beer, I'd suggest a bottle conditioned one rather than a tin. Whilst the CO2 in the tinned stuff wil raise the dough a little bit, there is actually some yeast in the bottle conditioned!

Shepherd Neame Spitfire gives a good yeast for homebrew, too - practically explosive growth in comparison with the dried stuff (even after making a starter culture).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE