1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, We're having our annual Winter Moot and we'd love you to come. PLEASE LOOK HERE to secure your place and get more information.
    For forum threads CLICK HERE
    Dismiss Notice

Fire pit ideas

Discussion in 'Bushcraft Chatter' started by Van-Wild, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Van-Wild

Van-Wild Nomad

I'm moving house. The back garden is 118ft, the bottom third of which is kinda closed off, entered through an arbor. Nice....

It is this bottom third that I am going to build a fire pit, with seating on two sides. Has anyone got such an area in their garden? I'm hankering for ideas/designs. (I'm almost tempted to build a kinda swedish forest shelter! Like this....)

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

wingstoo, SaraR and santaman2000 like this.
  2. Toddy

Toddy Mod
    Mod

In our climate I think that would be excellent :)

3. Janne

Janne M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)

Excellent idea, it will prolong your season BBQ:ing by months!

I built one in Swden, and one in UK.

The only things I recommendyou consider is :
    Build it a little bit larger than you think
    Build it semi circular, as the corners are badly used in a square one
    ( you can use the corners for wall fixed small tables, for beverages if you go for a square one))
    Use quality pressure treated wood

Van-Wild likes this.
  4. Janne

Check with your local Council too, see what is OK. You do not want to build something to discover the council tells you to take it down....

Alternative walls; You can do the structural parts in wood, then plant willow and create the infill ( weave as it grows on horizontal battens of P. treated wood)
    Think 'living wattle, living wall"
    I think that would be quite cool! But still warm!
    :)

5. Woody girl

Woody girl Full Member

I think that would be realy cool. You have the right to put up a structure within permitted development do I don't think you'll have a problem. Call it a summer house! If you are not digging permenant concreat foundations you should be fine.
    I'm realy jealous of you having such a lovely garden. Veg plot is a must too! Imagine grilling fresh home grown tomatoes and courgettes on your fire and baking home grown potatoes in the ashes that you harvested only ten minutes ago. Couldn't get any better.
    If I had the money (about £8-10,000) I'd have one of those swedish barbecue huts down there. The benches pull out to make bunks and you sleep on reindeer skins. They are hexagonal and realy cool. ....well warm and cosy realy!

6. Paul_B

Paul_B Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Out of curiosity, is there a way to build/grow a living shelter? Willow is fast growth but is there a way to create a weather tight living shelter?

I've sheltered under trees before but mostly it's only effective under coniferous trees close to the trunk. I've seen established willow tunnels, one was virtually a shelter from rain.

Not that you'd want to do that, would take too long to grow and shape I reckon.

7. santaman2000

santaman2000 M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)

8. Paul_B

There's rules about temporary wooden structures. Iirc max height is one.

santaman2000 likes this.
  9. Janne

Completely 'living' shelters might not be a problem if you have nicely spaced straight boled trees.
    Stretched quality weather proof fabric for roof, Willow for walls.

I think I would do a proper job still. Council OK, Foundation, PT wood, walls ( timber or willow, shingle roof.

If done properly it should increase the value of the property!

10. Woody girl

Woody girl Full Member

You can have a lovely willow living shelter by early summer if you do it now. Willow grows about 5 feet a year. By the willow poles and weave them together. Should be usable by may June time. Not much use in winter once the leaves are gone though so if you want something for all year round go for a wooden shelter. Rules were relaxed about outbuildings sheds and conservatoires a while back for planning but there are some restrictions still on height and width. Can't remember the details. Garden sheds summer houses and greenhouses do not count so you should be fine. After all you won't be going much higher than a shed anyway.

11. rich d2

rich d2 Member

Van-Wild likes this.
  12. TLM

TLM Nomad

13. santaman2000

santaman2000 M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)

A quick question (after the explanation of its premise) The posts discuss what’s permissible and/or legal to build “in the UK.” The question is this: Is it uniform over the entire UK? Or does the local jurisdiction have further restrictions?

14. Paul_B

Uniform but subject to local discretion I suppose. Some council planning departments are stricter than others.

15. Barney Rubble

You lucky devil!!

If it was my back garden, I think I'd be wanting to do a few things. First of all, I'd have a small shed as a workshop area for projects and storing some of my kit. Secondly, in terms of the shelter that you mentioned, I reckon a simple Dano shelter would work nicely with a fire pit in front of it. A Danish guy on youtube called 'Cimbrer Bushcraft' built a very nice one recently which also looked relatively straight forward in it's construction - take a look at his videos on it.

Van-Wild likes this.
  16. Janne

Get a stainless steel drum from a washing machine.
    Hung from a tripod, it makes an excellent fire basket.
    Use as it is, or cut back if you want it with lower sides.

17. Robson Valley

Robson Valley Full Member

A firepit is nearly always a good idea.
    Build up the actual pit area so you look "into" the fire, not down "at" the fire.

As usual, I'll build a semicircular trellis and plant grape vines.
    Willow isn't multipurpose to the same degree.
    Maybe some solid wall sections for attaching table tops, etc.
    My vines normally put on 3-4 m new growth each summer.
    Those can be interwoven to make a fairly tight cover.

Janne likes this.
  18. MT606

MT606 Nomad

I've got a winter fire pit area and a summer one (in a tree lined corner of the garde) the winter one is a circular (ish) sheltered area 5x5m made from pallet wood,( with an under cover seating area and 2 other sheltered spots for sleeping), wood storage, in a fence fashion, with salvaged bricks for the pit/fire that I've made 3 sided, purchased some steel for the roof of the pit with a circle cut in the sheeting with a large salvaged chimney pot on top to help draw the smoke above the height of the shelter walls, the summer one has 12 tree seats around the fire, has a 6x2 ft stone lined pit with 2 trpiods at either end and a bar between... I would post photos up but I don't do hosting my photos on some sort of photofuckit website....

19. Billy-o

Billy-o Native

Oh, nice project. :)

I'd fancy a small, open, barn-type construction with half-height, removable willow hurdles for the walls for flexible use as windbreakers or sunshades or not there at all. Might think of a flat latticed roof structure, still pitched though, and grow something over it - roses, grapes, honeysuckle, beans, cucumbers ....

#19 Billy-o, Jan 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  20. z_bumbi

z_bumbi Tenderfoot

For the Swedish "vindskydd" (wind break) most I have seen have a flat roof slanted to the back of the strukturer. A lot easier to build and more places to sit/a lower profile. Most is made of logs and with some tar and flaxoil on the outside and some stones as foundation they are seldom pressure treated ( i have nothing against pressure treated wood)

But I would start with something that you can move to get a feel for where you want the final placering..