Finally! An actual anvil!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Well not quite.

Screen shot 2012-04-10 at 19.58.29.jpg

Saw this on the bay and paid a paltry £20. It's the perfect size for what I want too (about a foot long). Looks like it was cut, but not finished. Flap disks are at the ready. Finally I'll have a flat beating area bigger than a 50p coin! I commute by rail daily and can't help but spot cut offs and think to myself 'I NEED that!'

It's all coming together. Just goes to show if you wait stuff turns up.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I asked at my local scrap metal merchant after anvils. The guy glared at me and said "I collect anvils. Any I find, I keep" and that ended that conversation. :(

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
oooooh, good job old son...:)

my cut down H beam does me well, but rings like a bugger...:rolleyes:

mind you it is just on a wooden box with nothing in it...:)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I've got bits of rail that I use for odd things and I once used a bit of RSJ, but to be honest the sledge hammer head (my first attempt at an anvil) was the best of the lot to actually forge on. It's all down to mass and stiffness ;)

Still there are a lot of folk who use rail anvils and stick with them, after all bigger lumps (or normal anvils) are hard to find cheap and cost a lot new! If you can find a way of caulking out the sides (either side of the vertical web stem between bottom and top)to make them solid then you will have a MUCH better anvil, you loose loads of energy (turned into vibration and a lot of noise) due to the thin section.

Happy forging though! :)

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Tip for you chris: Whack a decent sized magnet on the underside. It cuts the ringing down.

PS. I thought that got taxed?

it did....:aargh4: i had to buy another 1, for twice as much....:(

thanks for the magnet idea, chain is supposed to work too, when i can get some for free...:rolleyes:

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
I've got bits of rail that I use for odd things and I once used a bit of RSJ, but to be honest the sledge hammer head (my first attempt at an anvil) was the best of the lot to actually forge on. It's all down to mass and stiffness ;)

Still there are a lot of folk who use rail anvils and stick with them, after all bigger lumps (or normal anvils) are hard to find cheap and cost a lot new! If you can find a way of caulking out the sides (either side of the vertical web stem between bottom and top)to make them solid then you will have a MUCH better anvil, you loose loads of energy (turned into vibration and a lot of noise) due to the thin section.

Happy forging though! :)

Cheers Dave, I like the sledgehead, but it's not flat and it's a bit wee to be honest. Still, as you can see this one isn't even dressed so it's project. Wonder how I'd be able to mass out the sides? Couple of slabs of plate?

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Cheers Dave, I like the sledgehead, but it's not flat and it's a bit wee to be honest. Still, as you can see this one isn't even dressed so it's project. Wonder how I'd be able to mass out the sides? Couple of slabs of plate?

2 bolt holes through the middle with lots of plate, that way you can remove it for bushcraft forging....;)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
yep, heavy plate bolted or welded to the sides will help. My teaching anvils are made from a section of fork lift spike (4x4" and 1 1/2"thick) with 6" of box section welded underneath and filled with lead, they work really well. I think if I had a rail anvil and was able to I would weld plate or box to the sides and fill the gap with lead, failing lead then sand that is wetted with oil is really good. Size isn't everything you know; the one I demo with is 1 1/2"x3" on the top and I've forged 2lb axes and 10" drawknives on it at shows using the Iron age forge!

Chains and magnets work a bit, but I've got neither since for me the pros out way the cons. But once again, many folk both both techniques to deaden ring. The best I've found is to get rid of any thinpointy bits that you don't need, then bolt the anvil down tight to the base and put some silicon caulking (or thin rubber mat) underneath.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE