Fantasy skills

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

harry

BCUK Test Account
Jun 18, 2003
UK
If you could suddenly be master of one wilderness skill which one would it be?

For me I think I would choose foraging, knowing all the plants, nuts, fruit etc I expect that this is because it must be one of the hardest areas to master.

Maybe I should ask Santa for it :rolmao:

What about the rest of you?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Fire from my finger tip, or even better would be out of my eyes like superman :f:

Other than that I would go for the same as MartiniDave and Harry.

Another good one would be to always know where you are going, never able to get lost and always know where you are. Although this could potentially remove a lot of the excitement and fun of wilderness travelling :z:

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Stalking for me. Iam getting better, but i would love to be able to creep right up on animals, close enough to touch em. Guess it wouldn't do my photography any harm either.
Rich

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Tracking for me, and I'd like to think that the stalk is a subset of tracking:wink:

Every little avdance or insight I get in tracking is such a joy, too see where the badger had gone through longer grass without needing to see the footprint, wow that was special. :-D

If I win the competition how do I collect my prize?
Justin

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
It would be tracking for me too. Although it would be nice to be an expert in anything!

But, just from sheer frustration, I'd like to perfect trout tickling. My dads spent nih-on 20 years trying to teach me, and I'm still hopeless.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I cant decide between the foraging or the tracking :-?

wouldnt it be great if you could just dowload knowleadge stright from other people :shock: like plugging a USB cable into the back of your head

for tracking I would dowload Ian Maxwell and for foraging I'd go for Ben McNutt, both of them the finest people i have met in their field :notworthy

I'd never go hungry

but what if you got some of there personality traits with the dowload?

with Ian you'd end up with a unshakable need to wear scarily tight shorts
and with ben you'd be forced you speak with an irish accsent and use the phrase "like stink" to describe everything :rolmao:

it'd still be well worth it

sorry Ian & Ben I've met you both so i know you wont be offended :biggthump :You_Rock_

Dave Farrant

Forager
Apr 16, 2003
Lancashire
If it's fantasy you are talking about I would like the Nose and Ears of a dog and the eyes of a Hawk.
Finding food would be so much easier.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Dave Farrant said:
If it's fantasy you are talking about I would like the Nose and Ears of a dog and the eyes of a Hawk.
Finding food would be so much easier.

And for free we will throw in the stomachs of a cow :rolmao:

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i suppose that part of the reason i'm into bushcraft comes from reading too much fantasy stuff, our hero goes off on a quest and all that, always manages to get a couple of rabbits and some berrys on the way.

so yeah, i'd like a joe 90 brain transplant on the subjects of tracking and stalking too please, a bit of magic'd be a help too, oh! and can i have a bit off sword fighting as well, just in case there're any orcs still out on the common this time of night :oops: :lol:

cheers, and.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Foraging would be a good choice but far better to know ALL the uses - edible, medicinal and utility of every plant and Fungi rather than just the munchies.

Another skill would be smithying as I'd love to make my own knife - that way I might save myself a small fortune too!

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I have to agree with roving rich on this one, stalking and tracking... maybe learning how to catch and cook the prey may be a help too ;-)

Ed

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
My fantasy skill would be to have the skills and intimate knowledge of my surroundings that our Hunter Gatherer Ancestors had. Like the San Bushman or the Australian Aborigines of today.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
I gottanother un, That rare and sort after skill of being able to pare down the kit I carry to one small rucksack full!
:biggthump :lol:
Rich

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Roving Rich said:
I gottanother un, That rare and sort after skill of being able to pare down the kit I carry to one small rucksack full!
:biggthump :lol:
Rich

Hahaha Nice one Rich !!

Foraging for me I'm always hungry :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE