Fabric source needed for repair.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The Pintail took some damage on its first outing. Ridgeline U.K. were utterly hopeless, recommending I buy a new jacket. No offer to help me sort some scraps of material to patch it, despite the fact that somewhere in the world there are rolls of it. Ridgeline NZ didn't bother to reply to any of my 3 emails. Pretty lousy service IMO.

Anyway, here's the damage. It's to the outer reinforced layer only and Im looking for two strips to match the sleeves up. It appears to be a thin goretex type material. The colour is pretty much as seen in the pic, I'd consider anything really, even waxed cotton.

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Bit of editing on the URL gives this pic:

DFBED0D8-9327-46FC-844C-D8A252D4A888_zpsf7jgldco.jpg

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Sorry mate, nothing that colour. I use McNett Goretex repair patches or spinnaker repair tape (not sure what colours are available) but I'm not bothered about colour matching. Normally I just use black and cut the repair tape to make a circular patch, looks quite neat. Sometimes I will fix the rip with Seam Sure first and then patch over and under.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Apologies for the pic failing, oh the joys of Photobucket on the phone. Thanks for fixing it Mesquite, and thanks to everyone else for responding.:)

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Nice65,

The colour of the image that I am seeing looks like the '97 version of the Austrian alpine jacket/trousers - a sort of browny/olive - or is it darker like the 'tarmac' of the Fjallraven Barents Tarmac and olive G1000 material?

Notably this colour issue comes up for me regularly when I ask someone to describe the shade of olive green that a garment/item is described as over the phone/email. (There are numerous shades of olive green - think of the olive fruit itself!).
Cameras reproduce colours differently; computer monitors depict colours differently; people see/describe colours differently!)

It would be useful if we all adopted the RAL colour scheme so that after the colour description of an item the RAL code number could be added.

Failing that - a descriptor identifying a garment/item being the same colour as/similar to a very well known/easily accessible garment/item might be useful.

Let me know, I may have some small pieces of the '97 material somewhere if it is the correct colour. :)

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I've not got that jacket, but often i find that pocket linings etc use the same fabric as is used on the outers, and can be butchered (and repaired) unseen to provide a bit of repair fabric. Or you could live with the 'war wound' which shows that your jacket is used properly!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Cheers both. Jaeger, I'm waiting on a couple of samples of fabric. The 97 pattern, if it's the outer, might well be too thick

The picture I posted doesn't show the weave at all, but it's quite a thin material. The only similar stuff I have seen is on my standby car waterproof lining material, that is (I think) a German guardsman jacket. I'm getting less bothered about a colour match and thinking more of a seam to seam strip patch on each arm.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Repair it from the inside, use a patch a little larger than normal. Its never gonna look like new, but easier to find thread that colour than fabric it seems. You're gonna end up with either stitch lines or /fabric/glue lines, so irrelevant really. No need to fuss over material colour that way... just thread colour.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Nice65

You are welcome.

Re thickness of the '97 material - it is quite thin but I know what you mean, it is thicker than for example a Berghaus lightweight H20 jacket I have - but! - on the '97 pattern trousers there is a 'baffle?' of lighter material on the expanding leg section behind the zip. It is a slightly darker colour than the rest of the garment.

Another option (depending on the location of the damage) is to turn the damaged area into a usable feature - I did this once with a JP jacket sleeve creating a quick-read map route co-ordinates pocket.

Jkt Repair 1.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE