Evo bushcrafter in 52100 bearing steel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
ive just got back from duncans place, where he was kind enough to show me some tricks of the trade and sell me some lovley blade blanks.
whilst i was down there we (when i say we i mean mostly him haha) made this :)

DSCN3222.jpg

its an Evo bushcraft knife, with stabilised curly birch scales and 52100 bearing steel which is very very tough and keeps an edge for a very long time, think a combination of A2 and D2 and this stuff is pretty much that.

DSCN3223.jpg

DSCN3241.jpg

DSCN3240.jpg

new and old

DSCN3242.jpg

The grinds are set at 22degress and the blade is 3.5mm thick. watching duncan at work it is clear that the man has an insane skill, very precise and his workshop is set up to cover just about anything.
DSCN3221.jpg

i hope you like it, im working on the sheath at the moment so when thats done ill post up some piccys.

Last edited:

mikey.elefant

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
israel
That is a beauty, how does Bearing steel compare to 01 does it have any kind of rust Resistance ? can it be brought up to higher hardness ?

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
its better than o1 in edge holding, toughness and sharpness due to the finer grain structure, it also has some more chrome in the steel which should make it better at rust resistance.

the name EVO is due to the fact that its a bit like a woodlore, but diffrent, so its an evolved woodlore clone.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... it also has some more chrome in the steel which should make it better at rust resistance. ...

Don't get excited about the chromium content, it's only about 1.5 percent. Conventional wisdom is that you don't get any real corrosion resistance with less than about 13 percent chromium.

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
I have 1 of Frenchy's Talisman knives in 52100 bearing steel and think it is a great steel! are you and FYGT planning on doing a run of knives in this steel?

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
What you need now mate is a trio to match. The new leuku your evo bushcrafter and a smaller blade all matching handles and sheaths.

Not a pukko though. Something like Duncans small DSP for carving and food preparation.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE