Eucalyptus Wood?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Had the same thoughts myself last year, was told it was not much good for working so I left it , would be interesting to hear if the info was wrong though.

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
I know it's used for posts and roofbeams here, because it grows fast and straight. Dunno about relative strength though, I would guestimate the roofbeams being 50cm apart and 10cm diameter. the main beam (at the top, supporting the others) is about twenty or more, maybe 25cm across.

Edit: that's in traditional house building. Nowadays they use square pine and/or concrete

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I use it for knife handles.... needs to be properly seasoned and any surfaces to be glued need wiping down with white spirit to get rid of the oil, but i find it a nice wood.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
I use it for knife handles.... needs to be properly seasoned and any surfaces to be glued need wiping down with white spirit to get rid of the oil, but i find it a nice wood.

That will teach me not to follow my gut feelings, will have to keep an eye for some more now, Thanks for posting Mark.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Did you not get any oxidisation when carving it green? When i cut it up, the outer surfaces went a greenish colour.....

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I found it carved well enough, I made spoons and spatulas and an axe handle .
A picture of my last spoon from it.
eucalyptusspoon002.jpg

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Eucalyptus is a hardwood. It starts hard, and as it dries it gets harder and harder.

There are many species of eucalypt and each has its own properties. Some species are routinely used for construction and some for cabinetry,

.... and axe handle too, Spotted Gum is one of the preferred timbers – worked green.

Oldwoodyrock

Dec 10, 2012
Pacific Northwest
Depending on which authority one uses, there are between 350, and 500 seperate Eucalyptus. One can find just about any characteristic required in a wood from this species. You want fire resistance, use Jarrah, etc. etc.

robotchicken80

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2012
Verden (Germany)
Hi there

We have large forests of Eucalyptus trees in the north of Spain, so I know a little bit about them. A couple of guys already mentioned that there are many different species of eucalyptus and each one of them with different properties.
In the north of Spain the most popular eucalyptus tree is the white eucalyptus (eucalyptus globulus) which was imported from Australia in the 1800's.
Looks like the one of the most common eucalyptus trees in the UK is the Tasmanian Snow Gum or Eucalyptus Coccifera. Maybe you can google this type of tree and look for some more specific properties.

Eucalyptus wood (again, in Spain) is mainly used for cellulose production (paper). And because of its strength and flexibility is also quite popular for tool handles: axes, shovels, etc.
However it needs to be really dry (minimum 2 / 3 years) in order to reach its full potential.
Hope that helped a little.

I believe it was a tasmanian snow gum :) I am trying to find time to experiment with it at the moment :)

Thanks for all the advice and help folks

Hi there

We have large forests of Eucalyptus trees in the north of Spain, so I know a little bit about them. A couple of guys already mentioned that there are many different species of eucalyptus and each one of them with different properties.
In the north of Spain the most popular eucalyptus tree is the white eucalyptus (eucalyptus globulus) which was imported from Australia in the 1800's.
Looks like the one of the most common eucalyptus trees in the UK is the Tasmanian Snow Gum or Eucalyptus Coccifera. Maybe you can google this type of tree and look for some more specific properties.

Eucalyptus wood (again, in Spain) is mainly used for cellulose production (paper). And because of its strength and flexibility is also quite popular for tool handles: axes, shovels, etc.
However it needs to be really dry (minimum 2 / 3 years) in order to reach its full potential.
Hope that helped a little.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE