Enormous Augers - and an unusual handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Came across some mahoosive Augers today - with what is probably the most beautiful Auger adapter / handle I have ever seen

Here is the purchased set

Five Auger bits in the two foot long range - the smallest is 3/4", the largest an eye watering 1 3/4"

Two are eyed Augers - one, a 1 1/2" Gilpin (23" long), is I think quite early

I think that partly because the eye appears to be forged, not a welded on barrel eye that later augers have

The other is a later barrel eyed auger in 3/4" diameter - 24" long.

Those two are interesting, but its the set that really grabbed my attention

The handle is to adapt the shaped bits for "brace and bit" into a T auger using a tapered square hole and a brass grub screw

The three matching bits are all about 2' long and in 1 3/4", 3/4" and, I think, 1" (not marked though).

I call these a set as the handle and all the bits are stamped "40" for some reason?

There is a lot more stamping on the brass of the handle - but O can't make it out :(

When I get a free day, I mst read up on how to restore Auger bits. I need to learn to clean and sharpen them - I suspect I will try Tombear's citric acid treatment - then I need to learn how to sharpen them.

What do people think? Anyone ever seen a set like that before?

Red

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
A good way to sharpen the lead screw is to start the hole, just the lead screw, and back it out. Next put a bit of valve grinding paste in the hole, then screw in and out a bunch of times u till its nice and shap.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My Father had ones that size and longer. They were for boring up through the keel of a boat to fit the prop shaft.
He could (and did) do it by eye and hand and be not 1/4" out by the time he got through the keel :)

Good kit :)

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I couldn't let them get "parted out" Mary - I felt there was a story to that set. Its soppy I know but somehow they - and the large Gilpin - reek of history

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
They're lovely! The handle looks very well made and indicates very good quality for the rest of the set. I've seen a handle like that in the past, but not so nicely made in Ash (?) and brass but steel-bound; and I don't think that anything but the best bears the Gilpin name. What a great catch! :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks guys - I paid out £2 per Auger (£10 for all five) and another fiver for the handle from a house clearance firm

I have to say that seemed fair to me, but ....who knows? The Big Augers seem to fetch silly money from stool makers and the like so I suspect it was an okay price. Either way, I'm happy!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Thanks guys - I paid out £2 per Auger (£10 for all five) and another fiver for the handle from a house clearance firm

I have to say that seemed fair to me, but ....who knows? The Big Augers seem to fetch silly money from stool makers and the like so I suspect it was an okay price. Either way, I'm happy!

£2 per auger????? That was an absolute bargain Hugh

Next time you find any that size and price grab them for me please :)

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Wonderful set, but are they working augers? I have quite a few of those, but the problem is they are beyond sharpening possibilities and lost the cutting edge, so they are no longer useful. But this gives me a great idea of adapter to today's market one, to be used by hand... Lets go and make something.. muhahahahaha :D

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
What kind of sizes are people looking for? My local secondhand tool seller often has them in but I don't have any need for them personally.

Usually the scotch eye versions.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ah, so that's what auger envy feels like...

A very nice set. I wouldn't worry about the lack of spurs on them, before the mid 19th C you didn't see them much if at all, and even after they were optional.

A bit of deft file work and you should get them as sharp as you need and if there's even just a trace of the screw thread a good narrow triangular section needle file will chase it out in a few minutes.

Back then it was much more important that a tool lasted than was particularly good. The ease of sharpening they wanted back then is something most now deride, especially with things like penknives. I've had mates go into catatonic shock when, after hacking apart hundred of cardboard boxes, their Swiss army knifes go blunt and actually require sharpening! I've bought any number of Victoronixes on car boots for next to nowt that have obviously never been sharpened!

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/27238/27238-h/27238-h.htm

ATB

Tom

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
The pics remind me very much of the tools used by the yards which built the old wooden keels. Recently saw something similar being used to drill out the tie-rod holes in wooden leeboards.
And, by golly, the large ones would make beaut marlinespikes.
Regards
Ceeg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ah, so that's what auger envy feels like...

A very nice set. I wouldn't worry about the lack of spurs on them, before the mid 19th C you didn't see them much if at all, and even after they were optional.

A bit of deft file work and you should get them as sharp as you need and if there's even just a trace of the screw thread a good narrow triangular section needle file will chase it out in a few minutes.

ATB

Tom

I hoped you would look in Tom

These are the threads and cutting face

There are no spurs as you say...Im hoping that won't be a problem?

I know you have done a load of these....could you talk me through the process? My current plan is a 10% citric acid solution then sharpen the threads and cutting faces with riffler files and cutting paste. No idea what to finish them with after that - stove black?

Whilst I was photographing the thread, I also took a picture of the tail I thought you and Ceeg might like

You can see the dent where the screw from the handle has deformed the metal - and the fact that the whole tail is slightly twisted with years of use! Can you imagine the force required to twist 24" of steel like that?

Anyway - any restoration tips greatly received as I consider you "the man" on this stuff :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE