Endicotts Bundeswehr German army "para" boot review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_...=1885&osCsid=a1314496a11102666f4b1c3586214cde

My local army surplus store stocks dozens of pairs of these German army para boots but all in grade 2 condition so upon finding out Endicotts are now stocking these at super grade and just £30 I didn't hesitate to phone Kevin and order a pair.

I asked Kevin to explain to me the differences between the various verisons. He told me each version is an improvment on the last and disclosed to me that he has just a single pair of the latest "MK7" of which I asked him what he thinks of the durability of this latest revision of the German army boot to which he answered that they have only been in standard Heer issue for 2 years (hence the MK7 designation) and so he didn't want to say anything for sure which suprised me but also reassured me of how rigorous and down to earth Endicotts are when it comes to grading surplus but after a little coaxing on my part Kevin did assure the boot is an extremely well made and sturdy one, with it's primary improvments being a thicker yet bouncier sole and the addition of a leather finger loop on the back not unlike what the British army issue boot features.

I finally went for the one and only pair of MK7 and 3 days later I recieved them well packaged and in near-perfect condition. I promised Kevin to review them, but I wanted to do it after I had broken them in which I think I have done over this past 4 days walking since receiving them.

They are very heavy indeed, but are 100 grams lighter than the previous versions, but still a very heavy boot. Durability wise I cannot fault them. They have the that "bomb proof" feel to them like the 58" British army water bottle has.

The toungue is fully gusseted so theres no chance of water ingress. The tounge is also well padded. The laces they come with are Genuine German army issue but oddly posess the same feel as white cotton parcel twine available in most news agents/post offices. I will be replacing them with black 550 cord for it's sheer strength and non-perishability (is that even a word?)

Comfort wise they are just fine with their soft leather lining which I much prefer to gore-tex as they dry much faster, and the fit tends to hug the middle of the feet more than other areas. Stability is second to none. It's almost impossible to twist an ankle wearing these boots.

My previous boots were British army issue boots which are much lighter but if you want something a little extra and that will no doubt last longer, and for for the same price tag, then the German "para" boots are a great choice.

This is what a German online surplus store has to say about them. Translation courtesy of Google. Note bolded parts!

Combat boots model 2007 strain gauge from stocks for the Bundeswehr.
Quality-The newest generation of combat boots produced with current manufacturing techniques.
Shoe leather lining up at the toes with a shock-absorbing and klimaausgleichenden interlayer.
The eyelets are designed to apply, for quick lacing.
The non-slip, minimal abrasion PU outsole is lightweight, acid resistant, antistatic and benzinresitent and directly molded onto the shaft. The traditional adhesive vulnerability are spared. The design of the shoe has been on severe mechanical and environmental stresses to revision.
Weight: About 1900 - 2100 grams depending on size.
Leather:
24 hours wasserundruchlässig (hydrophobic)

88661740.jpg

66210660.jpg

54554236.jpg

p.s ignore the scruffy look as I have walked in them for dozens of miles this past 4 days and laboured on a building site in them for a few hours earlier. They arrived in a near flawless condition as stated earlier.

Last edited:

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I'd be tempted to get a pair, but my feet are a pain to get good fitting boots etc. Be so disheartening to find a pair my size and not have them fit...

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I bought a pair of the Mk 5 about a week or two ago. I liked (preferred) the stitched on rather than glued-on soles of the Mk7. Old style but bomb-proof. They are mid-high shin boots which is great for deep mud/water that we often get on the boggy Moor. The quality of the leather is the very best I have come across - on par with my Lundhags and has a flexible, soft but very durable quality to them (like pig-skins/goat skin rather than cow) but nice and thick. The sole is a compound type and I have found that the rubber is a bit old school in terms of grip and that the torsional rigidity is not on par with modern walking boots so does not offer the same kind of support and stiffness in the sole as modern vibrams for instance. The lugs are fairly shallow so you will go skating on greasy mud. The Mk 5 lacing system is not speed lacing but given a little practice you get quite used to it and is very secure. The Mk5 is stainless steel lacing attachments. The Mk3 is brass. The other similarity with the Mk7 is the achilles/tendon leather concertina that works great. I have bought these boots for around the camp-fire, field-boots for general duty and all all weather that I can walk a few miles in, can be worn all day and for £30 (top grade - lesser grades are available) are trashable - compared to my £200 Lundhags.

You get ALOT of boot for the money and ALOT of quality. I am getting another pair and should see me out for the next couple of years when I am doing my outdoor education stuff.

Last edited:

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I bought a pair of boots from my local surplus place about a fortnight ago, presumably from the same shipment as the one Edicotts got theirs from.

I'd had a pair of German boots years ago as a student, and despite a fair amount of bashing and general neglect, fieldwork, etc, they lasted very well, so I knew they'd be good quality, but the new ones are very good indeed.

I'm not sure of the mark, but since it has glued rather than sewn soles, I assume its post Mk 5, but with the midway hook and upper D-rings looking just like the picture on the Edicotts website, rather than Lubo's Mk7. They also have a leather finger loop.

First impression was very good quality (the rumour is that they are made by Meindl), and very heavy! To quote Mean & Green
For size 8's, German Para boots weigh 1.98kg, and British Assault boots weigh 1.54kg
. The first couple of time I worn them, they felt like divers boots!, but once you get used to them, they feel fine. Still rub a little at the ankle, but getting the lacing right should help. Basically bombproof (although sewn soles would have been even better), tread perhaps a little shallow, but very good value for £22 (grade one-ish).

Nagual - I hear what your saying about getting boots to fit right - I'm a nine and half fitting, which is a pain when most boots are made in whole sizes, but the 10's I tried on (a 275 according to the number on the sole) was fine with an insole.

Overall, very good kit indeed, but I'm going to get very fit carrying round all that weight!

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
me and Col (Calibanzwei) will swear by german para's. i'm currently out with british army assault boots but GP's are my next buy damned comfy boots.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
I wouldn't consider wearing anything else for the level of comfort and cost effectiveness these boots provide :D
Currently wearing the 2000 Edt. with Mk.4 soles, but these are getting rather rare these days.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Interesting snippets of info here. My mother needs a pair of working boots and I'm considering getting her a pair in size 6. Which model (MK?) would you guys recommend I get her?

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
After mentioning to my mother about getting her a pair of my boots in her size, the suggestion was greeted with the following...

"big bloody German army boots -are you joking? ASDA stock wellington boots for under a tenner and in many different colours, too!"

I guess that's the end of that, then. But a quick update about my pair:

I realised today I had not broken them in as quickly as I thought I had done. This past 3 days I have been labouring in them packing, carrying and unloading heavy 70 kilo bags of horse manure and just earlier I went for a quick run in them at my local playing field and finally the odd tightness around the mid-foot area that I had mistakingly thought to be a design feature has dissapeared and the boots generally feel alot more comfortable than before.

Earlier today I cleaned all the horse crap off them and took the oppertunity to use the Nikwax boot cleaning stuff that I thought I may as well buy along side the bottles of the long overdue Nikwax Woolwash that my stinking Merino wool garments badly needed! (tip: charity shops are full of it!)

Well I'm not impressed. After using a stiff nylon brush with warm water to scrub the dirt off, I then applied a very generous amount of Nikwax cleaning gel to the whole of the boots leather and after a few minutes I washed it off with a softer brush.
All was well until I then applied the Waterproofing wax as per instructions and when it came to rubbing the excess off after 3 minute wait, the white cloth was jet-black within the first few wipes! What a load of crap that "Nikwax Footwear cleaning gel" is!

"lifts dirt off the boot" my ar*e!

Why all the praise for Nikwax products on this website?? or maybe it's just the footwear cleaning gel that's crap?

and does anyone have any good reliable information for cleaning boots and keeping them waterproof?
I've learned from my mistakes with my previous boots and want to look after these German boots as well as possible.
Is beeswax any good for waterproofing? My local farmers market has a raw honey stand and sell the stuff on the side.

Last edited:

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Have just added a pair of Mk7s to my Mk5s and they certainly look as good. I am looking forward to using them in anger. Apparently they are selling like hot cakes so I forced myself to snap them up whilst I still could. I can't eat boots for Christmas tho' :eek:

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
I've been wearing them non stop since I bought them as I only ever wear boots unless it's a formal occasion. They just get more comfortable with each day!

green elk

Sep 25, 2008
out there
They are definitely excellent boots. Indeed the first german Army boot that is almost on the level of regular Hiking boots. Its not onlythat the improved version is glued, they added lace hooks, padded the tongue, improved the last & made it much more comfortable as well. I'm using it almost permanently at work, in the stable and out bushwacking and so far it hasn't let me down. Officially it is supposed to live for one year (regular military service time). There are some reports of badly glued Boots with the first issued ones - the sole came of after forced march excercises. But it seems, that they have solved these Quality issues...

About the Meindl rumour: This is definitely not true, though besides others Meindl makes the german Army mountaineering boot, they are not producing the new combat boot. The new combat boot is made by Baltes and Haix and it is said, that the Haix ones are better (but you cant distinguish them only by the original box). Here are their hps:
http://www.baltes-schuh.de/ & http://www.haix.com/

Rumcajs

Forager
Nov 13, 2009
Kielce, PL
www.jbohac.net
If these are as solid as my old German army boots O wouldn’t be surprised if you still wear them in ten years from now.
They really are bomb proof boots.

My survived 8 years of heave abuse.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE