Ed Stafford's new show, Into the Unknown

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Just watched the first two and quite enjoyed them.

He's going to and investigating remote locations that have strange markings as seen from satellite imagery.

First episode was in West Papua,

https://www.google.com/maps/@-7.9261879,138.7050878,1602m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en-GB

I won't spoil it, but it's pretty amazing what those markings are from.

Second episode is in Siberia, trying to get to an odd looking crater. Some serious cold weather camping.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Thanks for posting this; I really wanted to watch it but I only got as far as where he blows up his raft, I just couldn't bear any more. There are more special effects on the soundtrack that are so loud, and if you turn the volume down so it doesn't rattle your eardrums, you can't hear what he's saying. And the camera never stayed on anything for much more than ten seconds. The way they shoot these things seems to me to amount to a series of extremely rapid snatches of all sorts of stuff, with the soundtrack to match, as if everyone is in a massive hurry to get to the end..........I just don't get it :confused:

This is not meant to be a rant, just my observations; nothing wrong if that's the way you like to get your stories but it ain't for me!!!

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I'd definitely agree it could be done better. Though I suspect that would require more time than just 40 minutes on each journey. More Bruce Parry pace.

Particularly in the first episode, meeting a tribe that hadn't seen white people before.

Second episode he did travel with the Evenki for a time, but the ultimate destination was uninhabited.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Wasn't all that enamored with it either. It was quite obvious the lines in the first show were agricultural. The Sacred ground statement was probably thrown in to to give the show (that was going nowhere tbh) a bit of excitement. I'm pretty sure i could have Googled those lines and got the answer without the need to travel.

Someone needs to tell Ed Google Earth is full of glitches.

We dont need another Bear. One is more than enough.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Nah! 45 minute show, 43 minutes Ed, 2 minutes subject.

Yup! its self-indulgent rubbish like this that makes me glad I haven't had to pay for a TV licence in the last 12 years. Go on then Ed, what do you think of these crop marks? not the ones at the top right , that's just where my old heathen dad used to preform his sunday ritual of cutting peat instead of going to Kirk, bottom left in the heather, Celtic maze, Pyramid, Snakes, Jackass.

Last edited:

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Wasn't all that enamored with it either. It was quite obvious the lines in the first show were agricultural. The Sacred ground statement was probably thrown in to to give the show (that was going nowhere tbh) a bit of excitement. I'm pretty sure i could have Googled those lines and got the answer without the need to travel.

Someone needs to tell Ed Google Earth is full of glitches.

We dont need another Bear. One is more than enough.

But they weren't agricultural, they were caused by the tribe building islands in swamp.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Just watched the first programme. It was interesting enough viewing as I sat eating my lunch. Certainly more so than watching the Tour of Britain live anyway (and I like cycling too!)

No particular mystery about the nature of the lines he went to see, but they play a big part in the survival of the peoples there. Ed Stafford came across well enough to me, and I don't think the comparison to Bear Grylls is valid. I'll be watching the second episode!

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
I had not watched any Ed Stafford before seeing this thread, I watched all 3 episodes of him being marooned naked on a pacific island, but there are some things I am sceptical about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHKxNmrA9xQ

Particularly episode 3 where he finds a goat trapped by the neck in some brambles, I don't think a goat would get trapped so easily if you look at the circumstances it was trapped in, and it all seemed so staged.

I also cannot see how a 'metal' part from an outboard engine was washed up on a beach.

Medics were called in at least once and he was given medication, so he did not survive unaided for 60 days, in week 1 he also took antibiotics that he had brought with him.

I don't believe it all happened the way it was stated.

Saying that, it made reasonable viewing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE