Easy to Use Clay

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I've just discovered that The Early Learning Centre (home of kids toys and games) sells 2.5kg tubs of 'air-drying clay' for 5 pounds. It handles more or less like real clay, but dries hard at room temperature to become hard. Its not waterproof when dry, and will revert to being a soft malleable clay if soaked, but can be painted and varnished when dry to make things.

My first project so far is a little rushlamp - burning vegetable oil, using a peeled rush grass stem for a wick (2" of stem and 3 tbsp of vegetable oil has given over 2 hours of light). Here is a picture of it in action (rough and ready I know):

rushlamp.jpg

Hope this inspires folk to make some stuff!

Infragreen

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2006
Denmark
You just gave me the right idea!

Make a little Aladdin-thingy from clay, and use the rush-pith for a wick.

Sleep now, then work!

ThanX!

directdrive

Forager
Oct 22, 2005
USA
Hi, there: All clay is "air drying". If the clay can be reconstituted into a malleable, plastic state by the addition of water, it is more than likely plain old clay. In order to make a durable and usable object, the clay must be fired in a kiln or, if you are into primitive things, in a pit. If you'd like some advice on the subject, let me know as I have done dozens of pit firings over the years. They are fun to do and can be used as a wonderful social activity by having friends and guests make objects, allow them to dry and then pit fire them. Let me know if you'd like to try this out.....

Best to you, Bruce

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Yep - I now have a version 2 of this lamp, which is closed over with only a small hole to add the oil, and another in the spout for the wick - I got about 4 hours burn from 4tbsp of vegetable oil and 2 inches of rush grass wick last time I used it!

As to the air-drying clay, this stuff is kinda different to 'real' clay, it tends to behave like clay in moulding and drying, but seems to come out a bit stronger than greenware. The only thing I have discovered is that its not fireable, and tends to disintegrate to a black powder when heated (yep, this is where oil lamp 1 went :eek:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE