1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DofE 3 man tent recommendation

Discussion in 'Shelter & Sleeping' started by mylofitz, Apr 25, 2018.

1. mylofitz

mylofitz Member

I've been tasked with sourcing a 3 man tent for my daughter and friends to complete their Bronze award. It may also be used by my other daughter when she does her Gold Expedition later in the year.

Really needs to be as light as possible. Expect it'll be cramped. I've been looking at the Vango Scafell 3 and Nero as easy to put up tunnel style tents but also like the Wild Country Hoolie 3. These seem quite spacious and look easy enough for a few teenagers to put up quickly. My old tent was a geodesic tent that was brilliant in awful weather. but likely to be outside the £150- £200 budget.

Really would like recommendations or advice.

2. Alan De Enfield

3. Alan De Enfield

4. Tony

Tony White bear (Admin)
    Admin

Are they allowed to use Tarps? Some tarp configurations are nearly as protective as a tent and they can weigh a lot less and be easier to carry. DD Hammocks do a few tents now, although I think only the big one at umm, £275 I think would fit 3 people in, I think it weighs in about 2.5kg all in..

5. Nice65

Nice65 Full Member

modestadventures likes this.
  6. leaky5

leaky5 Maker Plus

My sons cadet unit splashed out on some OEX tents a few years ago and they are still going stong. They get used for D of E and other weekend activities by lots of cadets

7. slimshady

slimshady Member

I recently bought a Vango Ostro 300 for £150. A friend has had one for over a year and took it all over the place.
    Not a current model but still available from Ebay or others. Weighs 3780 grams & fits 3 adults.
    Wife is liking it more that the Hoolie-3-ETC that she usually uses for Scouting camps.

Alex.

8. Alan De Enfield

Some of these tent suggestions are not particularly lightweight - 3.7kg is over 8 lbs.
    Is it a realistic alternative to expect your elder daughter to carry this on her Gold ?

Surely a lightweight one (or two man) tent would be more suitable.
    My Gelert 1-man (complete with everything) weighs in at 1.6kgs (3.5 lbs), and my Wolfwise 'full-up 2-man & gear' tent with everything including a 'footprint' weighs in at under 2.2kgs (4.7 lbs)

9. leaky5

leaky5 Maker Plus

I am not sure how other organisations run their D of E. In cadets they are normally paired up and I know the OEX tents come in two seperate bags so you split it between the two of you.

10. jonquirk

jonquirk Tenderfoot

Have you looked at the Berhaus Peak 3.3? I have the single person Peak 3.1 and it seems well made. There is a Pro version (light green instead of red) which is 2.91kg instead of 3.25kg

11. petrochemicals

petrochemicals Full Member

12. Nice65

Nice65 Full Member

13. petrochemicals

petrochemicals Full Member

Yep and after looking at some of the other suggestions i have just remembered that it too has an all mesh inner and 2 windows, should be just what you'd want your teenage daughters to have !

14. The Cumbrian

The Cumbrian Full Member

I picked up a Wild Country Hoolie 3 from the Blacks eBay site for £128 this week. The price was actually supposed to be £166, but they applied a 20% discount that I hadn't seen at the checkout.

Cheers, Michael.

15. mylofitz

mylofitz Member

That was a bargain. Wish I'd see it that cheap. Hoolie 3 is £199 on Blacks. Thanks for all your suggestions. Mistral looked a great buy but lack of privacy an issue unless could make windows opaque.

16. mylofitz

mylofitz Member

Bought a Vango Meteor 300 2017 model last night for £100 split 3 ways between the parents. Hopefully given it's simplicity of 2 poles of equal length and sub 3kg it shouldn't be an issue to pitch and carry for three inexperienced teenage girls. Time will tell.