do you have theeee tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
the decathlon tarp is cheap at £15 and can be ordered off the web. Its quite light compared to my DD tarp but it is not as well made, but for the money when the DD goes i will get another. I have both at the moment the DD and the decathlon one.
Greg

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
Another vote here for the Decathlon tarp. Myself and Twoflower used his in Scotland last year and it held up well. They're good for the money (£15) and they come with poles too, incase you fancy using it in a place with no trees.
I keep meaning to get one myself but last time I went they had none in stock. I didn't think of getting it online :rolleyes:

EDIT: Just checked and it appears you can't buy things online from Decathlon. The best you can do is check it's in store and order it in if they don't have it.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Ok, I'll repeat what I said before. Get a tarpaulin from a hardware store, cost will be very little. That way you will see what size and what features to look for in a 'real' outdoors tarp.

abushcrafter

Nomad
Aug 23, 2007
Chilterns
Ok, I'll repeat what I said before. Get a tarpaulin from a hardware store, cost will be very little. That way you will see what size and what features to look for in a 'real' outdoors tarp.

Thank you.
I am fairly sure what size and features I would like, I am just trying to sort out the best make and place to get it from.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
so what should I go for :confused: :dunno:

I think you mean the Tatonka T2 the T1 is 4.5X4.5

If you want a good lightweight ripstop 3X3 you could try giving Kathmandu Trekking a call. It's actually the canopy from the basha tent http://home.freeuk.net/kathmandu/catalogue.html
I got mine, last year, for less than £50 including P&P which works out is only a couple of pounds more than the Tatonka your contemplating. Saying that the Tatonkas ( at least the TC2 ) do seem to be generally popular on BCUK so are probably a safe buy.

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
try googling "USMC". They do a very well made 3 x 3 DPM tarp which is not too expensive. I bought mine around 2 or 3 years ago for £24.00.

I got one of their's too and I'm very pleased with it. The 3x3 size is great, LOADS of space! Available in British DPM or Central European DPM if that takes you fancy.
Sadly, they don't do a plain green or brown version.

Their site is www.USMCPRO.com

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
As my old Mum used to say, "You gets what you pay for."

If you can afford it buy a Tatonka Tarp 2 3m x 3m. IMHO It''s a good enough size to cover your hammock (that's if you use a hammock.) The poly version is light weight and packs small. The Tarp 2 TC (Technical Cotton) is the poly cotton version and slightly heavier but more robust (and a little more fire resistant) more expensive too.

I've only had a DDtarp which I didn't rate very much - but I've had this tarp 3 years now and it's still fine. Get a srong ridge line though.

My smaller tarp is from Katmandhu (sp). They are great too.

I wouldn't pay more than 45 quid. This may seem expensive, but it will last you a good while if you look after it.

Pablo.

tecNik

Tenderfoot
Aug 31, 2006
Leicestershire, UK
deadfish.co.uk
Sorry to bump an old topic but was this ever resolved? What did you finally decide on. I for one am amazed when I see people spend a huge amount of money on kit like this. I agree with big_swede here. :rolleyes: Why spend 40 quid on a tarp when you can get 10 cheap ones for that price? Although saying I do own a DD hammocks 3x3 tarp. lol

http://www.tarpaflex.co.uk/acatalog/product_shop2_camouflage.htm

(I have nothing to do with tarpaflex. I just uses them for cheap tarps :) )

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Another option if you feel adventurous is to make you own. I did this last year and it worked out fine. This year I've got hold of some very lightweight ripstop nylon and am making another one ( the previous one wasn't ripstop ), only trouble is it's massive... lol 3.5 x 3andabit..You could fit a platoon of eager bushcrafters under it.. :D

edit to say: The main reason I never bothered with tarpaflex is that their tarps aren't ripstop nylon, which is very lightweight and easy to store. Regular tarpaulins can be fairly bulky in comparison. I guess thats the reason people prefer not to use that sort? Good for many things, but if you're counting grams of weight and space in your pack, every bit counts I suppose.

Cheers, Nag.

abushcrafter

Nomad
Aug 23, 2007
Chilterns
edit to say: The main reason I never bothered with tarpaflex is that their tarps aren't ripstop nylon, which is very lightweight and easy to store. Regular tarpaulins can be fairly bulky in comparison. I guess thats the reason people prefer not to use that sort? Good for many things, but if you're counting grams of weight and space in your pack, every bit counts I suppose.

Cheers, Nag.

that why Im not useing one!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE