different but deadly

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Years ago when I worked at a bacon factory we had a house that my department used for storing documents, I was in the tech/quality department. One day I got sent over to shred a load of stuff opened up the old airing cupboard and it was full of those things, must have been 60 or 70 of them dating back to when we slaughtered and those brought over from another site that we had closed a few years earlier, some were very old as the factory started around 1910. I still regret not taking a couple when offered:(

LOL. It's easier here too. Not so much so regarding cheaper though.

unfortunately you can only dispose of the insides you don't want in a official legal manner (no burying or burning ) and that costs almost as much as the abattoir fee to the small holder with an individual animal
plus pigs is easier if you have the big hot tank to scrape the skin off (gotta get it right i Love Cracklin and want to develop chocolate coated Pork Scratchings the Food of the gods ;) )
and you cant sell the meat if you home kill (pole axe might not be legal here any more )

hey you can shoot a deer dump the guts in the bushes where it was shot tho ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I thought that was because the deer has only been eating what was in those bushes though ?

My Grandpa had an axe the twin of that one EdS; he used it to crack open the sheep's heid once he'd singed it. He ate the brains with a horn spoon. He lived to be nearly 97 and was sharp as a tack to the end, so it didn't do him any harm. Don't think many would try it nowadays though.

cheers,
Toddy

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
When working in the bacon factory we had one chap working on the head boning line who used to eat the brains, raw straight off the machine, Someone had told him that they would make him trip out:lmao:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
unfortunately you can only dispose of the insides you don't want in a official legal manner (no burying or burning ) and that costs almost as much as the abattoir fee to the small holder with an individual animal
plus pigs is easier if you have the big hot tank to scrape the skin off (gotta get it right i Love Cracklin and want to develop chocolate coated Pork Scratchings the Food of the gods ;) )
and you cant sell the meat if you home kill (pole axe might not be legal here any more )

hey you can shoot a deer dump the guts in the bushes where it was shot tho ;)

I don't know of any states here that prohibit burning or burying the guts (at least not out in the country) That said, I also don't know of anybody who does that; most feed the waste back to the next batch of hogs.

Yep, you definitely have to scald them before scraping (hence my agreement about it being easier to just pay a professional)

I'm not sure of the legality of a pole axe here now either but TBH I think most people just use a 22LR when slaughtering at home. I know that's what the pros use (the ones who travel to your site with a stainless butchering trailer, not the ones in static slaughter houses)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Daddy used to eat hog brains scrambled with eggs. You can still buy then here; both fresh and canned. But they're not really common anymore.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Thats a pretty neat find, haven't seen an axe like that before, what was the benefit of that kind of shape for slaughtering?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE