Dehydration -Yes its that time of year again........

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
There are some things (I believe cant be said enough)** and having just spent the day at my eldest school sports day in a cloudy but hot day...........

The Signs and Symptoms of Dehydration

Symptoms of dehydration usually begin with thirst and progress to more alarming manifestations as the need for water becomes more dire. The initial signs and symptoms of mild dehydration in adults appear when the body has lost about 2% of it's total fluid. These mild dehydration symptoms are often (but not limited to):

* Thirst
* Loss of Appetite
* Dry Skin
* Skin Flushing
* Dark Colored Urine
* Dry Mouth
* fatigue or Weakness
* Chills
* Head Rushes

If the dehydration is allowed to continue unabated, when the total fluid loss reaches 5% the following effects of dehydration are normally experienced:

* Increased heart rate
* Increased respiration
* Decreased sweating
* Decreased urination
* Increased body temperature
* Extreme fatigue
* Muscle cramps
* Headaches
* Nausea
* Tingling of the limbs

When the body reaches 10% fluid loss emergency help is needed IMMEDIATELY! 10% fluid loss and above is often fatal! Symptoms of severe dehydration include:

* Muscle spasms
* Vomiting
* Racing pulse
* Shriveled skin
* Dim vision
* Painful urination
* Confusion
* Difficulty breathing
* Seizures
* Chest and Abdominal pain
* unconsciousness

Be aware that these are not the only symptoms of severe dehydration that may manifest in response to dehydration, these are simply the most common. Symptoms of dehydration will differ from person to person because the body is a complex network of systems and everyone's body is different. When these systems are disturbed due to loss of fluids there will be several common symptoms shared by most bodies, but there may also be unusual or unexpected responses depending on the particular person in question. Age also plays a part in the manifestation of symptoms. Signs of dehydration in a child will not be the same as those experienced by a teenager, adult or in the elderly. Dehydration prevention is the best treatment for every age group. heatstroke is always around the corner.

** See Hypothermia
** Map and Compass work
** See Tell some one where your going before F'in off in to the mountains :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Any weather is dehydration weather, you can dry out faster in the arctic than the Sahara. Sensible fluid intake at all times of the year are a must.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
And illness in this weather makes it worse.
My son has been in hospital last week with a viral throat infection.........seriously that's what started it all, but despite assurances that he was drinking enough, he wasn't. His throat was so sore he was barely sipping.
He ended up with the fever, low blood pressure, waaaaay too rapid heartbeat, aches all over, and inability to urinate.
Major panic for a bit. He's fine now, but though they say I can't nag, I'm blooming well learning how to now :rolleyes:

We don't pay enough attention to dehydration in this country.
A very timely reminded.

cheers,
Toddy

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
May I ask what could be classed as a stoopid question?

Drinking water is the answer to keeping yourself hydrated, thats clear. But, can you have squash in it and still get the same effect?

Regards, Jon.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yes. So long as it's digestible liquid, and not adding so much salt that the body struggles, it should be fine.

cheers,
Toddy

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Thanks Toddy / Southey,

Thats good to know as my kids prefer water with a dash of Robinsons sugar free blackcurrant or lime, to be honest so do I!

Regards, Jon.

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
May I ask what could be classed as a stoopid question?

Drinking water is the answer to keeping yourself hydrated, thats clear. But, can you have squash in it and still get the same effect?

Regards, Jon.

Not stupid at all, IMHO yes if you drink its good, any "additives" you add just make water taste nice (excluding Rehydration Treatment lol) :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks Toddy / Southey,

Thats good to know as my kids prefer water with a dash of Robinsons sugar free blackcurrant or lime, to be honest so do I!

Regards, Jon.

I'm with you on that Jon, can't stand the taste of plain water so I hardly ever drink it. I have to add some cordial or little vitamin sachets just to make sure I get some inside me.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Also remember the water content of food if you have children who not always want a big glass of fluid, things like yogurt, custard, fresh fruit like oranges and melon; even gravy are mostly water.

Sorry to hear about your lad Toddy, its easy done.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The scary thing was how fast it happened.
He went from being miserable to being really ill in the space of a couple of hours.
I asked, and got, a doctor's appointment almost as soon as I phoned. I expected him to come out of the surgery with a prescription for an antibiotic, instead he asked if I could take him to the hospital because otherwise they were going to call an ambulance.
Within the hour he was rigged up to drips and was on them overnight.

He's still under the weather but nothing like he was.

The scary things were how fast it happened, and that he wasn't even out the door, he was off work and resting in his room, reading, watching tv, on the computer, just doing that sort of stuff.

He's an adult, I don't interfere or nag, but I know to watch for it ever happening again.

cheers,
M

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I really feel for you there Toddy, it is amazing ho fast you go down hill, it's heat stroke that worries me iit's another one that kind of creaps up on you, remember guys keep those hats on, and clothes loose.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Isn't there something about taking in enough salt with your water too. Blah, blah electrolytes and all that. Drink 3 litres of pure water in a day and most of it will go right through you...

jonboy

Jun 23, 2010
essex
over hydration is just as dangerous . its when you drink so fluid, you dilute the minerals . happens to marathon runners, long distance training, if only drinking water

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE