Dartmoor at Ivans continued.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
Ivan
Thank you very much for a wonderful weekend. Beautiful site love the sound of the stream and sitting by the fire with you.

A small recap of the weekend. Arrived around 4:00 pm Fri. Ivan helped me load my way too large amount of stuff onto the quad. Then showed me around the nice cabin he has with kitchen bath and shower room. Then we headed of to the site. To get there we went up the bridle path through the moor and into the woods. It is a nice trek a little over 20 mins by foot. There is a small marsh on the way in but it’s not to much should be dryer in a few months. Be prepared to go light if you don’t plan to let Ivan haul your kit on the quad. The wood is very secluded with some nice open areas. We spent three full days on site Ivan is a wonderful host with some great stories I brought food for the weekend but used little of it Ivan made some nice grub. Friday night after sitting around the fire decided to hit the sack. But because of my lack of planning I froze my butt off and got very little sleep. Made some changes to my setup and was very comfortable after that. Sunday I realized I was getting short of smokes and we went to town for some and a few brews. Just a short few miles. Ivan has some nice plans for the woods and the idea that he wants to share it with us is so refreshing. It is a spot we as bushcrafters can use without worrying about our vehicles, people walking in on us with that what are you doing here look and knowing if we do go off for a few hours or the hole day our kit will be safe. There is a small stream running through that I started the weekend using my Millbank bag. But after a while we just filled our pots and put it on the fire to boil. I had planned to leave Sunday but had to stay one more night was enjoying so much.

From Yeovil it took right at 1.5 hours in the Jeep. Same going back. I put the postcode in my Tom Tom and it took me to a drive way. After the drive way it turns into a bridle path continue down the bridle path for a few hundred meters the next entrance you come to on the left will have a double wooden gate one large for a car and one small for a walker. Go down the drive and your there. Ivan will have plenty of parking there.

Looking forward to going back the first of April. And can’t say enough. Ivan is a wonderful host and I know everyone will have a good time.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in April and lets have some fun.

James

Feb 6, 2011
none
Hello one and all ,if anybody wants to come and savour my magic space on Dartmoor , before the April fools day meet , those that can not make it or whatever ,you are all welcome to come and try what i think is a bit special ,free of charge of course . There are realistically 2 weekends before the arranged meet , but for those itching to try or who have not got their names down , i have room and time to let you come and try it out. So if you have been stir crazy since christmas or just feel the urge, give me a shout and the escape is there for the taking .it doesnt have to be a weekend .. atb Ivan...

Feb 6, 2011
none
Thanks James , for your nice write up , it was a pleasure to have you , we had a good time didnt we ? still not too long till the 1st , take care untill then buddy ..

Feb 6, 2011
none
Bit of excitement last night ,took Katie my 11 year old daughter out for a camp, a bout 8.30pm she wanted to go for ahike across the moor to test her new head lamp and osprey bag , it was going great until we heard shouting as if someone were in trouble , we went to investigate and as this group of youngsters got closer they shouted"Frazer thank god is that you ? "i said no sorry are you ok they were fine but a bit lost , the mist had come down , anyway they were glad to see me and we guided them back to Ludgate . So i have a candidate for youngest member of Dartmoor rescue , but only with her dad she stipulated.
Made for a bit of excitement , the walk was longer than expected ,she is chuffed with her bag and lamp ,and we slept like babys, and nature was kind enough not to let it rain until we had retired. Up at 7.00am ,beautiful sunny morning ,full fry up pack away and home . A little something more interesting than usual to talk about at school tomorrow methinks!!

Feb 6, 2011
none
Near Ludgate SX688/672 , Part of the old Hayford Hall estate ,our land borders the moor about 2 miles from Huntingdon Warren ,1 mile to Pupers hill and about a mile or so to Avon Dam , hope that helps.. Ivan..

Feb 6, 2011
none
I dont know about RUN up wallaford road , i tried to cycle it once it nearly killed me ,walked too many times to count , but this Christmas when snowed in was the worst. By the way did you go to Ashburton comprehensive ? .. dont worry if you dont want to get involved in idle chatter , i wont be offended if you ignore my post . atb Ivan..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE