Customs fees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lab72

Native
Apr 6, 2010
west oxfordshire
Hi all I just ordered some kit from the states and a few things have arrived no issues but I had customs bill for one item but not the others ,I was told that anything over the value of £18 you have to pay customs I understand but why have some items been added with tax but not others all parcels are over £18 :confused:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Some get through the customs net mate. On average it works out at 1 in 10 parcels get through without charges.

Seeing as your so lucky Dez, can you get all my us parcels for me from now on? :lmao:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have a question here. In the past I have sent small amounts (less than 1 quart) of spirits to an old friend in the UK as a gift. I never gave any thought to customs; just assumed they were similar to the duties coming in this direction. Alcohol coming this way is subject to duties depending not on value but rather on type and quantity. The duty free limits being: 1 gallon of ordinary table wine, 1 quart of sparkling wine or champagne, 1 quart of spirits and I don't remember the limits on beer. What are the duty free limits for alcoholic beverages going into the UK (if there are any allowed)?

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Based on you travelling with it...

Alcohol allowances
You can bring in either, but not both, of the following:
1 litre of spirits or strong liqueurs over 22 per cent volume
2 litres of fortified wine (such as port or sherry), sparkling wine or any other alcoholic drink that's less than 22 per cent volume
Or you can combine these allowances. For example, if you bring in one litre of fortified wine (half your full allowance) you can also bring in half a litre of spirits (half your full allowance). This would make up your full allowance. You can't go over your total alcohol allowance.
In addition you may also bring back both of the following:
16 litres of beer
4 litres of still wine

If you are posting, 1 litre of anything is a safe bet... I'm not sure how they would work out tax on a home-made product?
If it was Labelled (as a trading product) I guess they could 'gesdimate' based on average US prices, Unless it was clearley marked 'gift'

Which you would do anyway... Being an actual gift!

hth, al.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I bought some stuff from a US based company and got landed with a VAT bill of a few quid and a processing charge from the Royal Mail for around £18.00 i think it was, more than the stuff was worth.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks Kepis and Big L. I did always fill out a customs label and yes I did always mark it as a gift. Actually since it was always a gift I also always wrote a request near the label for the Postmaster to remove said customs label before delivery (so the contents would be a surprise until opened) I don't know if my request was honored or not. Often many items I have sent cost more in postage than the actual item value but were items that I knew she liked and were unavailable any other way. Likewise items she sent me (Until recently alcoholic cider was difficult to get here for example)

I wonder how the proliferation of home computors (and corresponding home label printers) will affect that policy of differentiating printed vs handwritten?

Last edited:

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I've been stung by customs on occasions and, while it isn't nice, what really gets me is the PO "handling charge". I thought that's what they did - handle letters and parcels.

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Its a bit of a lucky dip but I can see Royal Mail going the way of UPS and FedEx and charging for every packet that goes through them, if you receive a packet with a blue line through the CN22 its been checked by Royal Mail.

yes VAT comes in at one level and Duty at another level one is £18 ish the other £135 but cant remember whcih wasy round

the value also includes the cost of the postage ie if you pay £10 postage and £10 for the item your at a value of £20 so it costs you the charge plus the £8 royal mail fee (and yes you pay VAT on the postage to )

lab72

Native
Apr 6, 2010
west oxfordshire
Here you go Rik
P5050124.jpg
[/IMG]

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Yes Rik it is £18! I only spoke to them yesterday !! but as normal you know better .

For SOME items yes the £18 rule applies, for others not, £135 is the limit. For instance a mobile phone (commercial item) with value and shipping costs of £100 would attract £20 in fees where a 'Collectable' item of same value would attract between £0 and £5.

Read post 16.

yes both have had VAT added at over £18 one is std rate VAT (curretly 20%) and one is reduced rate VAT (Currently 5% ) or Zero Rate VAT (currently well clue is in the name .
It dosnt say what level the VAT is as that is Dependant on the Goods just the relevent rate will be applied when the package value exceeds £18

the £135 limit is for Duty which is seperate from VAT so under £135 but over £18 you pay VAT over £135 you pay Duty and VAT

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE