Cows & bulls, how to stay safe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

waves

Mar 27, 2015
West Sussex, England
Hi

I went for a run yesterday down a footpath that crosses through a farmers fields. Cattle are usually grazed in a couple of the fields I cross. There is a sign saying bulls in field so I'm assuming some are bulls but in total there are about sixty cattle which to me all look the same.

My usual tactic is to run round the farthest edge of the field from the cattle and this has so far served me well. However yesterday they were quite spread out and I had to go through a gap in the fence between them. As I got about ten meters into the second field I could see a cow / bull (it's manner made me think bull) who was stamping it's foot and looking like it was about to chase me. Bearing in mind I had about one hundred meters to cross the open filed I thought it prudent to return the ten meters back to the fence (the fence was actually just a strip of thin fabric) and the first field. However as I returned through the gap the cow / bull was now striding toward me and rounding the gap in the fence, as I turned it started charging toward me. My options were keep on going in the same direction which meant heading towards more cows or head back to the stile were I had come into the field. I headed for the stile but the cow / bull was closing so I stopped, raised my arms and shouted whilst pretending I was going to run at it. This worked and it stopped in it's tracks allowing me to get to the top of the field and continue my now shortened run along the top of the field.

Does anyone have any experience of cows / bulls and the best way to deal with them in this type of situation? I would appreciate any good advice on what I should do and whether my tactic of trying to scare them was a good one or just a lucky one off? The cow / bull in question wasn't as large as some of the fatter cows and was brown where the majority were black. I think it may have been an adolescent with something to prove.

I enjoy my run through these fields and it is a public right of way so would like to continue. I would just like a bit more knowledge of the right / safe way to pass the cattle.

Thanks

Last edited:

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Cattle are rarely kept in the same field for long periods, your safest bet is to find another run for a couple of weeks while they're there and go back to it once they're moved. Yes your public right of way gives you the right to cross the field whenever you like, but that doesn't always make it the sensible course of action.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
It's a topic that comes up a lot on rambler forums and the basic gist is this.

1. WALK, don't run through the field
  2. NEVER turn your back on them if they are close
  3. DON'T get near any calf for any reason eg: petting, selfies etc
  4. If the footpath is not clear then stick to edge of fence line and go around them.

Part of the problem is that livestock associate farmers and thus all humans with food so naturally they all want to be your friend and get close. Over the years walkers, ramblers and tragically even a number of farmers have been trampled to death for this very reason. Running past may also trigger the herds survival instinct, they are not so much running after you but rather with you to escape the danger that you are fleeing. As they are fairly quick beasts over short distances there is a strong chance they will make it to the stile before you do.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Some farmers run a short term electric fence alongside a footpath when they have cattle in a field crossed by a footpath. If cows are a risk then the onus is on the farmer. Of course, should you have a dog and they have cows, be careful and do not pick up the dog. If charged let it go and it will find its own safety while taking attention away from you.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I read somewhere that more people are killed by cows than any other animal. It is easy to see why when you consider the size of them. I admit to being a little nervous in a field full of cows, but I have seen them spooked by a dog on the loose, you would not want to be in the way when they were running in blind panic. Uncontrolled dogs really are a menace in the countryside, too few owners consider how they interact with livestock.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Big herbivores here have long standing reputations as really nasty and really unpredictable, even the little guys like beaver and porcupine.
I can't see as how cattle could be any different. I'd be looking for a new way home!

We still have cattle drives here. Ranchers bringing cattle down from grazing leases in the mountains
to valley bottom winter pasture. Horses and quads, why the herd doesn't bust loose and raise all kinds of Hello, I don't know.
Have to be all done by Sept.01.

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Cows here are generally quite harmless, unless they have calves then keep well away. Bullocks on the other hand are playful and just plain nosey, they will run at you to have a look but will usually stop short being quite shy. It can be worrying to see a few tons of beef closing in on you!
When I worked with them I had to take a bag of oats into their field, I tried to remain unnoticed but I was always spotted then it was a race between me and thirty young bulls! that was fun but they are clumsy and had my feet trampled a few times. :)
a mature bull on the other hand should be avoided unless you know him, they can be unpredictable.

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
We had an old Hereford Bull who was really intelligent and was absolutely 100% certain that anyone that came in to his field did so with the sole intention of scratching him behind the ears and feeding him a handful of Dandelions, he would therefor charge up for what he knew you were there for, when he was replaced it was by an equally intelligent Charolais Bull who was 100% certain that anyone that came into his field did so because they were suicidal and he was more than happy to help out…..the chances of either of them actually killing or seriously injuring you were about the same……..You simply cannot generalise as to their temperament very few will actually set out to deliberately cause you injury but ALL of them are more than capable of doing so, much better to simply not give them the opportunity.
Best thing I ever found of persuading them to ‘Go away’ was a cup/baitbox/billycan of water thrown on them, used to work especially well if drawn on a ‘cattle drink’ when fishing the Trent.

D.B.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
... Bullocks on the other hand are playful and just plain nosey, they will run at you to have a look but will usually stop short being quite shy. It can be worrying to see a few tons of beef closing in on you!
It's good to know they're shy and will(?) Stop ... You would hope....😨

I think I would probably give Hussain Bolt a run for his money, if that were to happen ...
Cows don't scare me but I've seen some pretty big mean looking bulls around here...not sure i'd keep my cool if one was to charge out of nowhere...

The key really is to read the signs, most fields with livestock will be signposted with information and correct advice.
You did exactly what I would have done in the same situation...and I think you weren't so much lucky but i think actually , common sense and intuition got you out of that little adventure...
Dogs can aggravate the situation!
On or off the lead, I just avoid it most of the time...

Last edited:

waves

Mar 27, 2015
West Sussex, England
Some really interesting points raised so thanks for the replies so far. These cattle are moved around various fields but my run takes me through all of them. Some are better for me with tree cover etc.

1. WALK, don't run through the field
  2. NEVER turn your back on them if they are close
  3. DON'T get near any calf for any reason eg: petting, selfies etc
  4. If the footpath is not clear then stick to edge of fence line and go around them.

I shall bear these in mind next time and it was most likely I would have been beaten to the stile or certainly caught up with and nudged over ... I don't currently have a dog but if I did it would be on a lead or well trained enough to heel on command.

Turn and shout at them, and wave your arms walking toward them.

This is what I did but was wondering if it was a proven method.... I guess with animals nothing is 100% as they are all as different as we are. I'm guessing the follow up to this if it doesn't work is head for cover?

Cows here are generally quite harmless, unless they have calves then keep well away. Bullocks on the other hand are playful and just plain nosey, they will run at you to have a look but will usually stop short being quite shy. It can be worrying to see a few tons of beef closing in on you!

That last sentence is mildly understating the feelings I had at the time :) Robson Valley, I'm too stubborn to find a new route and would like to use this as a learning experience so if caught in this situation with my kids I will be better qualified to deal with it. Incidentally this did happen a couple of months back with my kids who fortunately are just under two (twins) and still fairly light. After them running in opposite directions and pricking the cattle’s interest I scooped one under each arm and headed for the stile only to find the next field also occupied by bulls. A quick rest behind a shelter and I scooped them up again for a sprint across the next field. Must have been hilarious to the farmer if he was watching.

Best thing I ever found of persuading them to ‘Go away’ was a cup/baitbox/billycan of water thrown on them, used to work especially well if drawn on a ‘cattle drink’ when fishing the Trent.

D.B.

Interesting, I don't normally carry a water bottle when running but might give it a go just in case.

Cheers Leshy for the confirmation of the stop, shout, waving technique, it did seem like the obvious thing to do as I was pretty sure I didn't want the cow / bull catching me and ramming it's head into my backside.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
A girl from work and I (in the 1960's) were walking round a field near Avebury when a herd of cows came running over the hill. The girl took off like a rocket and jumped a barbed wire fence. I wasn't that bothered but followed her and climbed over the fence. We then had an interesting five minutes while I unhooked the seat of her trousers from the barbs.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
I had a scary experience whilst out walking a section of the South Downs Way with my partner. Neither she nor I are as nimble was we once were and luckily we were able to make it back over the stile as a very large bull arrived at full speed. We waited to see if he would clear off so we could try again, but he was definite angry and ran along the hedge, backwards and forwards, following our movements. We were both quite shaken, it had been a very close call, and it has made us rethink where we go walking, which is a shame really .....

waves

Mar 27, 2015
West Sussex, England
I had a scary experience whilst out walking a section of the South Downs Way with my partner. Neither she nor I are as nimble was we once were and luckily we were able to make it back over the stile as a very large bull arrived at full speed. We waited to see if he would clear off so we could try again, but he was definite angry and ran along the hedge, backwards and forwards, following our movements. We were both quite shaken, it had been a very close call, and it has made us rethink where we go walking, which is a shame really .....

That is a shame and exactly the reason I would like to try and find ways of dealing with this type of situation. Although an already enraged large bull is probably past the stage of tolerating human interaction. Maybe worth trying Drain Bamaged's water technique next time. A decent water pistol would give a bit more range... Hmm might try that one myself.

Hope you get back to the downs soon and don't let this incident put you off.

boatman: Unhooking the girls trousers from the barbs must have been a very memorable experience if you can recall it from the 60's, no more details required ;)

Jul 30, 2016
Maun, Botswana
Knowledge is power - and can go a long way to keeping you safe.

Unless a cow has a calf she is likely to be pretty placid, and the main danger is from a bunch of them getting excited, knocking you down by accident and then treading on you. As previous posters have said, if they are used to getting fed they are likely to come running over and mill around. Bullocks/steers (castrated males) are about the same but since they get slaughtered young, any you see are likely to be young, frisky and curious so might come running over just for a look see. In either case getting your back to a fence or hedge, or preferably being on the other side of a fence or hedge (!) is good strategy, so going around the edge of a field is sensible. If you do get surrounded then raising one arm, and a stick if you have one, and waving it slowly up and down is remarkable effective with animals that have been driven by people - because you have only one arm raised it tends to turn them past you - if you raise both arms you are trying to block them, which they are less likely to comply with. If you shout, do it with a deep tone. Screaming, jumping up and down and waving your arms quickly just aggravates matters. If you get a chance watch a farmer moving cattle - and do like he/she does.

Bulls are another matter entirely - and you really, really do need to be able to tell the difference. At risk of stating the obvious, bulls still have their wedding tackle hanging down behind. They also have bigger heads, thicker necks and heavier fore-quarters than the ladies. Bulls and cows of the same breed are the same colour. Bulls are more aggressive than cows or bullocks, and are very unpredictable. In general beef breed bulls are less trouble than dairy breeds. Some individuals have pet hates for particular things - red jackets, hats, could be anything - a previous neighbour of mine had a bull who hated white people ! The only sensible strategy is to keep away from them. If a bull is in a field with cows then keep away from the cows and do not get between him and them. Get to the nearest exit as soon as you notice a bull taking an interest in you, hooking the ground with a front foot is already a definite sign of trouble, lowering and shaking his head means he is a lot more unhappy than you want him to be. As long as he is not charging you, walk away rather than running. If in a group stay together - you absolutely do not want him thinking that you are a pack of predators spreading out to surround him and his ladies. Unless you are very skilled handling cattle (and even if you have the skills) if a bull charges the only thing you can do is run and get a barrier between him and you - if that means you go through a hedge or rip you fancy gear on barbed wire then that's what you do. Prevention by by not being in the field with him in the first place is the mindset you want to start out with.

Staying away, and walking away is the tactics for cows with calves also.

That strip of fabric the OP mentioned was most likely electric tape - animals learn not to touch it because it bites. It will not stop a bull, or a cow defending her calf, and sometimes excited groups of cattle will just push through it. If you are on the opposite side of it to the animals you are not in their space and there is much less chance that they will bother you.

Many (most ?) dogs are a liability around livestock - having a dog with you increases the chances of upsetting a cow with calf or a bull. If cattle decide to chase a free roaming dog the dog will very often run back to its owner - who then gets knocked down and stamped on by the cattle while the dog runs away.

All the best CH

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Knowledge is power - and can go a long way to keeping you safe.

Unless a cow has a calf she is likely to be pretty placid, and the main danger is from a bunch of them getting excited, knocking you down by accident and then treading on you. As previous posters have said, if they are used to getting fed they are likely to come running over and mill around. Bullocks/steers (castrated males) are about the same but since they get slaughtered young, any you see are likely to be young, frisky and curious so might come running over just for a look see. In either case getting your back to a fence or hedge, or preferably being on the other side of a fence or hedge (!) is good strategy, so going around the edge of a field is sensible. If you do get surrounded then raising one arm, and a stick if you have one, and waving it slowly up and down is remarkable effective with animals that have been driven by people - because you have only one arm raised it tends to turn them past you - if you raise both arms you are trying to block them, which they are less likely to comply with. If you shout, do it with a deep tone. Screaming, jumping up and down and waving your arms quickly just aggravates matters. If you get a chance watch a farmer moving cattle - and do like he/she does.

Bulls are another matter entirely - and you really, really do need to be able to tell the difference. At risk of stating the obvious, bulls still have their wedding tackle hanging down behind. They also have bigger heads, thicker necks and heavier fore-quarters than the ladies. Bulls and cows of the same breed are the same colour. Bulls are more aggressive than cows or bullocks, and are very unpredictable. In general beef breed bulls are less trouble than dairy breeds. Some individuals have pet hates for particular things - red jackets, hats, could be anything - a previous neighbour of mine had a bull who hated white people ! The only sensible strategy is to keep away from them. If a bull is in a field with cows then keep away from the cows and do not get between him and them. Get to the nearest exit as soon as you notice a bull taking an interest in you, hooking the ground with a front foot is already a definite sign of trouble, lowering and shaking his head means he is a lot more unhappy than you want him to be. As long as he is not charging you, walk away rather than running. If in a group stay together - you absolutely do not want him thinking that you are a pack of predators spreading out to surround him and his ladies. Unless you are very skilled handling cattle (and even if you have the skills) if a bull charges the only thing you can do is run and get a barrier between him and you - if that means you go through a hedge or rip you fancy gear on barbed wire then that's what you do. Prevention by by not being in the field with him in the first place is the mindset you want to start out with.

Staying away, and walking away is the tactics for cows with calves also.

That strip of fabric the OP mentioned was most likely electric tape - animals learn not to touch it because it bites. It will not stop a bull, or a cow defending her calf, and sometimes excited groups of cattle will just push through it. If you are on the opposite side of it to the animals you are not in their space and there is much less chance that they will bother you.

Many (most ?) dogs are a liability around livestock - having a dog with you increases the chances of upsetting a cow with calf or a bull. If cattle decide to chase a free roaming dog the dog will very often run back to its owner - who then gets knocked down and stamped on by the cattle while the dog runs away.

All the best CH

Great post.

Two ton of meat and the brain the size of a chicken. As a mate once described them.

On one of our permissions we sometimes have to cross a field with bullocks in. We stay close to the edge just incase and when they bimble over we tell em to begger awf. As mentioned above a stick is a good idea although its usually a longbow for me.

I can see how folk get into trouble especially when the daft things wonder over in herd to take a look and see if you have food. Its the ones at the back that push the ones at front and then its all hoof and commotion.

Would never consider running through a field as it just gets them more interested. Slow calm authoritative with a good exit plan always in mind and a stick/bow in hand.

They are more like naughty/daft kids than anything else. Just try and see their stupidity coming.

Bulls on the other hand, I dont need to cross a field that bad...........

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
I have the utmost respect for cows/bulls! Even youngsters can cause big harm, especially it they get to keep their horns.

When I lived in Spain there were picadores on the farm, and young bulls used for training and demonstrations. The bulls were bred for fighting, and had an outstanding courage and had more than their normal share of fighting spirit.
One day they had the brilliant idea of talking the Norwegian girl into trying one of the young bulls. The stupid Norwegian (that would be me...) wash´t really sure what she got herself into, but thought that the bull was probably nice since they gave it to a new beginner...and it wash´t very big either. More like a big calf... Bah!!!
Maybe they secretly tried to kill me, haha!

Anyway, they forgot to give me the cloth thing before they released the young bull into the arena, and the stupid Norwegian stood still, waiting for them to come with it. They never got the time...The bull eyed the stupid Norwegian and in a split second I saw his mind. My thoughts at that point aren´t fit for writing, but I knew I would never reach the fence before him, so I had to make another plan, quickly.
To cut the story short, he came at me in full speed, and I had to tackle him, keep myself behind his horns and my weight on his neck until the others came to rescue, all the while my teacher was screaming "They are killing each other !!! Help!!! Heeeeeeeeelp!!!" from the tribune.
The memory still makes me giggle.
Afterwards I finally got that bloody cloth thing to wave around!

I really didn´t understand how dangerous that bull was at the time, because of his young age and since it didn´t have fully developed horns yet. But later on one of the employees showed me his leg, and it had a giant scar running from his ankle to his knee. It was given to him by a bull at the same age and size at this one.
Now I know better :eek: Don´t underestimate the little buggars!
Today I´m mostly sad that my teacher was busy screaming for help instead of taking pictures of the hilarious scene...

Untitled by Lykketrollet, on Flickr
Looking like a pro, huh? :lmao:

Untitled by Lykketrollet, on Flickr

I also have to state that I am against bull fighting!

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
........To cut the story short, he came at me in full speed, and I had to tackle him, keep myself behind his horns and my weight on his neck....

Back in the day we used to call that "bull-dogging" in the rodeo. Now-a-days it's called "steer wrestling.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE