Competition: Design a sign for the Man Creche

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I have been meaning to run this comp all through the last winter, but you know me :rolleyes:

The Man Creche, or my stall, has for a long time been a meeting place for men folk and on occasion their lovely ladies. People bring their chairs and beers, some even pull up a brasier and bring their dinner with them! Since I am there anyway and I have fire I tend to cook my dinner on the forge, so I often don't move from dawn til dusk. Suits me fine, I like having my friends round to visit :You_Rock_

I've been thinking for a long time that the Man Creche needs a pub-like sign, that can be unfurled after the forging is done. So I want YOU to design the sign for me and I shall get it made up before the Moot (hopefully) and if not then certainly before the Wilderness Gathering.

The sign will be made to approx 120x75cm and can hang vertically or horizontally. Since I'm away most of the time right now, you will need to do all the artwork and provide me with a jpeg (etc, nice and big to ensure quality) of the design, but that's fine because I want to see all competition entries in this thread (and/or on my facebook page).

The competition element. Obviously the goal is for you to submit what you think I should go for as a sign. The incentive, apart from beign the designer of the Man Creche, will be a handmade shiny that I will produce in the coming week (i'll put some pics up asap). I had hoped to get them made before opening the comp, but time is running out!

Ideas of what to offer as a prize:

Pattern Welded (damascus) spork
Friction folder pocket knife
Fancy patternwelded and bronze firesteel
Small axe head

All of them will be of a value exceeding £60 and will be posted to the winner or presented to them at the Creche at one of the above events.

The deadline for getting entries is midnight tuesday 23rd of July, so basically ONE WEEK from now. I will select my favourite and order the banner from there.

good luck and I can't wait to see you you artistic lot come up with :)

thanks

Last edited:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Here's one to get ya all thinkin'

Mancreche.jpg

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Here's another entry to throw in the mix. It can obviously be changed if anyone has any improvement ideas.
I tried to keep it like a traditional pub sign (to be hung from the top) and reasonably simple in colours. Nearly called it The Blacksmith's Creche or The Blacksmith's Arms, but I decided that was too clichéd.
4ymw.jpg

Full size image is 100x75cm
Full size link http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/7528/5l7a.jpg

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
The Man Creche
Booze drunk,
Rubbish talked.
Liquor in the front,
Poker in the rear.

The rules of Man Creche.
No.1 'There is no such thing as 'Man Creche'
No.2 'What happens at 'Man Creche STAYS at Man Creche'.

da C.

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
...nice strap line Georann goodjob

...if Dave goes into brewing Maddave yours would adapt to make a great label goodjob also

C da C - keep the rules nice and simple goodjob also, also

kawasemi

Last edited:

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Scrap one prize Dave,
The best ideas are going to be a team effort!
Can't see anyone who knows you being unhappy about that!?

da C.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE