Compact First Aid Kit?...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Chaps,

This has probably been asked before, so apologies for dragging up old threads, but I am looking for a compact first aid kit to stuff in my grab bag...what do people recommend?

Doesnt have to contain specifics, but be comprehensive and compact enough for days out on the trail/woods...

...any info would be great. much obliged :D

ph5172

Forager
Feb 13, 2010
Coventry
Dont go and buy a branded first aid kit, unless you have nothing at all.
Pop into the £ shop, they usually have small kits and the 'extras' to make it up, as you will see from pictures of the 'shop produced' kits they all have the same type of thing in it anyhow, and a bandage / plaster is the same whoever make it (within reason)

http://www.poundland.co.uk/product-range/a-z/oudoor-solutions-first-aid-kit/
Just add to it with bits you find/want

Last edited:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I also make up my own with various plasters for cuts, burns and blisters.
Some cleansing wipes, superglue and 'vet wrap'.

Those are in a compact zipped case in my possibles pouch.Small bandana usually in pocket.

That does for a day out.

Bit more in rucsac.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Yo Pab! I have one of those long strips of elastoplast that you snip off the required amount for the cut inflicted, a couple of field dressings for big bleeds, aspirin, and ibuprofen, a resuscitation face shield, non latex gloves, safety pins, medium nasal and mouth intubation tubes and a wicked tourniquet, The biggest thing though mate is IMO training of a decent level and staying updated,

unsponsored

Settler
Apr 6, 2009
North East England
I made a few of these up for mates

web.jpg

web.jpg

Mine has the following added -

Tweezers
Compeed patches
whistle

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
cheers guys...some good suggestion here. I must admit, i dont take first aid as seriously as I should. A recent outing and a potentially serious situation got me to thinking it is something I should brush up on. Havent done any first aid since leaving the military over 2 years ago...luckily the missus is in the medical profession and a first responder :D

cheers for the info...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have several dotted around in various sized bags and each is slightly different according to its prime usage - the van has a medics bergan side pocket sized one, my "bushy belt" has a tiny one in a possibles pouch/sporran, along with firelighting kit, camera etc, my cook box has a field dressing, my bergan has a PLCE webbing medics pouch size one, my foraging bag has a small "ouch pouch", my workshop has a fairly large one....you get the picture....
Several 1st Aid 'Gurus' say all you realy need are some panty liners and a roll of cling film to deal with just about anything...... I tend to carry St Johns style stuff for use on others and a little more in the way of 'possibly reactive' stuff for myself in each kit. Plus lots of clingfilm in the bigger kits!

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
tend to carry plasters and paracetamol and other bits and bobs i know how to use... some of the kits have allsorts of bits in them but without training or knowing what they are i dont see the point so i am kind of telling myself i need to learn a bit of first aid or be bloody careful...

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I guess you should just think about whats going to happen if something go's wrong....

Burns, Cuts (possibly serious being we like to keep sharp things very sharp) and twisted ankles walking to where we go.

Adjust you FA kit accordingly!

al.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I guess you should just think about whats going to happen if something go's wrong....

Burns, Cuts (possibly serious being we like to keep sharp things very sharp) and twisted ankles walking to where we go.

Adjust you FA kit accordingly!

al.

Burns/Bleeds/Breaks with a little of what you fancy need med wise.

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Slightly off topic but the yanks keep talking about triple antiobotics and a few other things I think we cant get over the counter here any thoughts?

Thoughts - avoid like the plague!

1) If you dispense these to someone else and it goes wrong, you stand to be sued (at best).

2) In the UK at least you aren't going to be far enough away from a doctor/hospital to require to self-medicate, or encourage someone else to medicate, with antibiotics. You can always get to qualified help.

3) If your doctor presribes antibiotics, you need to take the full course - less than a full course is probably literally worse than useless because it helps whatever you may be suffering from to build up a tolerance to the antibiotic.

Cheers

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
I'd carry the following as a small first aid kit:

1) Small cuts/grazes/blisters

Wound cleaning wipes plus assorted plasters

2) Big cuts

2 X No 8 dressings plus 1 X No 9 dressing (plus an extra No 8 if you can squeeze it in)

3) Useful thing to have for a variety of purposes

1 X triangular bandage plus some safety pins (plus an extra if you can squeeze it in).

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE