Cider Making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I spent most of Saturday doing the annual cider-making run, which has now turned into something of an institution. (for institution, read day of covering everything in apples, juice and mess :rolleyes: ). So I thought this time I'd take some pictures and do a quick tutorial for those who might be interested...

The apples were sourced from various places, mostly friends and friends-of-friends who have apple trees and nothing to do with all the apples. When juicing, its best to go with bigger apples such as bramleys or cooking apples than crab-apples, as they give you more juice per apple. Assume 5kg of fruit will give you around 0.5 to 1 litre of juice (1-2 pints) - sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on apples, press strength etc.

The first step is to wash the apples, clean off bugs, leaves, mud etc. To do this, fill a bath with slightly warm water (cold water causes the apples to draw in nastiness on the surface) and fill with apples, giving them a good mix up to remove the debris. Then lift the apples out, drain, unblock plughole, and clean the bath.

Next refill with a very dilute bleach solution (I used Milton Fluid - 1/2tsp per gallon) and wash again for 15 minutes to remove any bugs and yeasts on the surface of the apples. Traditionally, these would have been used for the fermentation process, but since this also increases the risk of the cider going off, I'm not taking any chances...

bathtime.jpg

Next stage is the crushing. This can be done in many ways, including hitting apples with a mallet, or slicing with a spade, but a proper crusher works best:

crusher.jpg

Having crushed the apples, you'll end up with a big box of apple pulp, ready for pressing:

pulp.jpg

Tthe pulp is put into cloth bags (old pillowcases) with wooden racks between each bag, and placed into a large plastic box with a hole drilled in the corner. This is set up in the home-made press, which consists of a strong frame, some pressing plates (old shelves) and a 1.5 ton car jack. This setup costs around 30-40 quid, less if you can get the wood and other bits free.The jack is then operated to squeeze the juice out:

press-setup.jpg

press.jpg

And the juice comes flowing out!

juicing.jpg

As soon as the juice starts running, add a campden tablet to the juice (1 per gallon) to stop further oxidising and prevent bugs starting to grow in it.

We juiced about 5 boxes of apples, to produce around 3.5 gallons of juice (about 15 litres).

Once the juicing is done, add an extra campden tablet for good luck, put a lid on and leave it for 24 hours to settle out.

The next day, check the specific gravity, and make sure it is over 1.040 (approx. 5% abv at end of ferment). (if not, add sugar or honey to bring it up). We added some sugar to ensure it ferments to a higher percentage and thus has less chance of going off. Around 50g sugar per gallon adds approximately 1% to the final alcohol percentage. Then we the yeast (a sparkling white wine yeast works well, such as a bordeaux or champagne) and leave for 2-4 weeks to ferment out. Make sure you leave space in your container as this will ferment quite vigorously! Rack, bottle and prime as for a beer, optionally adding a clearing agent if its very cloudy.

I'll post more pictures once I get on to the racking and bottling stages! :D

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Spot on tutorial, just seeing that bath full of apples made me lol I could hear my wifes sceams if she came home and was greeted by our bath full of apples. Looks like you have a good little set up there.

Simon.

xylaria

It is a very big scale op you have there. You and your friends must really like cider. Good use of a work mate, cos i think it is a pretty useless tool. I like the car jack press, I don't like cider much but fresh squeezed apple juice is nice.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
To make the cider a bit more stronger, use still cider and freeze, as soon as there is a layer of ice remove it till about a third of what you started with.

Alcohol freezes at a lower temp to water, the Canadians call it Cider Jack and very nice too.:Wow:

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Just a thought on quantities of juice you are getting. If you shake up your bags of fruit and repress them (do this 3-4x) you should get a lot more juice. Or do you already do this?

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I made cider with a press for the first time this year, and it was a lot of hard work and mess for 2 gallon. Hope it works cause ive tried the o natural way using the yeast on the skins and no sugar. Like your press though, ive got one of those with the threaded bar down the middle, and its a right pain in the a**e. Must have an old car jack knocking about and an old workmate somewhere.

Your press is fantastic! Nice to see an industrious soul making his own instead of buying one of the £200+++ presses from the homebrew shops.

I make turbo cider for some of my mates quite regularly. I also make beer (From grain, of course ;) ), and mead.

Try making up about 3%-10% of your fermentables with honey. That'll get you Cyser, which is absolutely fantastic! I've heard of people making up to 50% of fermentables with honey, but i've never done that much.

Here are some pictures of my beer brewing antics, if anyone is interested.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Nicodiemus/RuleBritannia
http://picasaweb.google.com/Nicodiemus/Brewday777

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I do move the bags around and re-press, and it does get a bit more juice out. Unfortunately this year, the non-cooking apples seem to have been very dry, and I haven't got as much juice as I expected. I'll need to find some more folk with cooking apple trees for next year's pressing.

I've also used a kitchen juicer in the past, but they tend to get unhappy when you try to pass over 100lbs of apples through them! :rolleyes:

Last year some of the batch went off, due to starting with too low a specific gravity, so this year I'm keeping it simple and going with a simple cider with sugar as the only added ingredient. I have made cyser before, and very nice it was too...

If you've not got the money/space for a press, a reasonable cider drink can be made by simply chopping the apples well, and steeping them in water for a few days which draws out the flavour, then adding sugar and fermenting this - tends to come out more like an apple wine, but still very tasty!

If you've got dry pulp, why not sprinkle with say 500g / kilo of sugar?
Osmosis will bring out the flavour components and residual sugars, then you can just rinse (Or sparge!) the sugars off with warm water.

That's what i've done when making country wines anyway. Perhaps too high an OG for a cider, but you could always dilute.

heeby

Jan 2, 2006
west yorkshire
Your press is fantastic! Nice to see an industrious soul making his own instead of buying one of the £200+++ presses from the homebrew shops.

I make turbo cider for some of my mates quite regularly. I also make beer (From grain, of course ;) ), and mead.

Try making up about 3%-10% of your fermentables with honey. That'll get you Cyser, which is absolutely fantastic! I've heard of people making up to 50% of fermentables with honey, but i've never done that much.

Here are some pictures of my beer brewing antics, if anyone is interested.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Nicodiemus/RuleBritannia
http://picasaweb.google.com/Nicodiemus/Brewday777

are you a member of jims homebrew forum
mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE