Chipmunks and Charcloth

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
While camping in Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario, Canada recently, I needed to make some charcloth. Charcloth is what I use to catch sparks from my steel fire striker.

Prior to the trip, I cut up an old cotton work shirt into small 1-inch squares, and placed them in an empty zinc oxide ointment tin (used for the baby). After the campfire had burned low, leaving just embers, I poked a hole in the lid of the tin with my knife. Then I closed the lid, and placed the tin onto the glowing embers. White smoke began to pour from the whole in a hypnotic laminar flow.

Within a few minutes, the white smoke began to appear more transparent, as the water content of the cotton and pyrolosis began to take place. As soon as the smoke cleared, I took the tin off of the embers, and poked a twig into the hole to seal it off.

Sealing it off prevents oxygen from entering the tin, stopping the charcloth from smouldering and ensuring that carbon compounds remain within the fabric matrix.

Making charcloth is very satisfying.

As this took place, an Eastern Chipmunk (Tamias striatus) made an appearance.

Tamias is Greek for one who stores, striatus for striped.

We had scattered little pieces of granola bar on the ground for him to eat.

He stuffed the pieces in his cheek and then ran off quickly in various directions, hoarding and storing the food in small caches.

This little fellow thought he could stealthily sneak up and take pieces of granola bar we had scattered on the ground for him, without being noticed.

We noticed him.

Cheers,

Mungo

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
Cool post. I carry a small tin for storing/making charcloth.

The last time I spent a night out was with my brother. We did an overnight kayak trip.

I was sitting in the dark under our tarp propped up against my pack and PFD when I felt something soft run into the little space at the small of my back. Surprised I reached in there and came out with a handful of mammal. I of course dropped him real fast. He sprinted off screaming at the top of his little lungs. Judging from the size and squeal it was a chipmunk.

Chipmunks lose all fear of man in the presence of picnic food. Mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE