Chili Tablet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Someone from the scots corner was in the naughty corner offering chilli tablet and some sort of whisky drink

I need recipies... =)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry Tim :eek: I've only just seen this.

Eh, right then, HWMBLT's tablet recipe is on the forum, somewhere, I'll find a link. Basically just before it came off the heat he stirred in chilli powder.
We had issues with one batch. Originally he used my rather old, mellow, tasty stuff, and the tablet was brilliant :D
Then he used the brand new tub of fiery hot, burns going in and coming out, stuff....and that was a bit savage. So be careful about the chilli you add :)

The whisky drink was Sloe Whisky, and it's rather good :D

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Here you go :D

HWMBLT Scottish Tablet Recipe

Ingredients
1kg bag of sugar
½ large can of sweetened condensed milk
125g of butter
1 mugful of milk (about as full as you'd fill for coffee)

Method
Butter a tray ready for the tablet.
Have a mug of cold water ready for testing

Put all the ingredients in a high sided pan. ( We use an old pressure cooker pan)
Stir continuously on a medium heat until all the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved.
Turn the heat up a bit.
Bring the mixture to the boil, stirring continuously, until when some of the tablet is dropped into cold water and you push it with your finger it forms a soft ball.

The tablet should be light coloured not brown. It is better to take it off the heat too early rather than too late. You can always reheat it if its too soft.

Stir the tablet vigorously until it becomes thick. If you cool the pan in cold water this saves you getting a sore arm. (put the plug in the sink, and pour in a couple of inches of cold water, put the pot into the sink and beat the mixture until it goes thick)

Pour the tablet into the buttered tray to set.

Enjoy scraping out the pot.
Bribe somebody else to do the washing up.

The last two instructions usually apply to one person :D

cheers,
Toddy​

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Here you go :D

HWMBLT Scottish Tablet Recipe

Ingredients
1kg bag of sugar
½ large can of sweetened condensed milk
125g of butter
1 mugful of milk (about as full as you'd fill for coffee)

Method
Butter a tray ready for the tablet.
Have a mug of cold water ready for testing

Put all the ingredients in a high sided pan. ( We use an old pressure cooker pan)
Stir continuously on a medium heat until all the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved.
Turn the heat up a bit.
Bring the mixture to the boil, stirring continuously, until when some of the tablet is dropped into cold water and you push it with your finger it forms a soft ball.

The tablet should be light coloured not brown. It is better to take it off the heat too early rather than too late. You can always reheat it if its too soft.

Stir the tablet vigorously until it becomes thick. If you cool the pan in cold water this saves you getting a sore arm. (put the plug in the sink, and pour in a couple of inches of cold water, put the pot into the sink and beat the mixture until it goes thick)

Pour the tablet into the buttered tray to set.

Enjoy scraping out the pot.
Bribe somebody else to do the washing up.

The last two instructions usually apply to one person :D

cheers,
Toddy​

:thumbup::D

sent from my Jelly Bean'd galaxy nexus.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Thank you for that, Mary. How much chili powder would you stir into that mix? A teaspooonful, a tablespoonful, more... ? Would ginger work?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ginger works very well........finely sliced up stem ginger, or powder I suppose :dunno: Himself has occasionally made it with coconut, but I utterly loathe coconut so that's not considered a success here.

I think the best batch of chilli tablet was just a rounded teaspoonful in the pot; too much and it became like eating an overly enthusiastic vindaloo or phall :rolleyes:

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, it's kind of think soft Kendall mint cake that tastes good.
Sort of.......it's crystallised, but tiny, tiny wee crystals. Melts in your mouth. Like a buttery hard icing, is closer.

Make some and try it :D

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Now, now. If Kendal Mint Cake is good enough for Sir Edmund, it should be good enough for the likes of us.

Kendall mint cake is vile. Tablet beats it by a very long way :)..............just had one of those moments, mint tablet covered in black chocolate :D

M

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
While I do agree Toddy, I have been known to carry Kendal Mint Cake on the odd hike or bike ride. It make a a very good anti-bonk food.

No better than Tablet it has to be said, and doesn't taste quite as nice, but it has the advantage of having become traditional in British outdoor pursuits. Kendall mint cake is very sickly sweet compared to tablet which could also be construed as an advantage. You don't eat your whole supply in one sitting like you might with Tablet.

Would the world be a different place if they had munched Chili Tablet on Everest?

Last edited:

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Tablet - It was once described to me as fudge gone wrong with good PR from a thrifty Scot who didn't want to throw it away.

That said, I'm pretty partial to a lump or 2. Failing that a wheelbarrow full. Chilli sounds like a great idea. Anyone tried it with fresh ones?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE