Cast Iron..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
I'm looking for a cast iron frying pan and a Dutch oven. I've done a bit of reading re seasoning etc. Would I be better buying new or a used one?

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I bought one of these recently to use on my paraffin stove and I'm pretty pleased with it. It's a griddle pan rather than a frying pan and the size might be smaller than you're after at approx 8" square. The same company do a round version. Hope that helps.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I shouldn't think it will make any difference, new or used. New ones are usually pre-seasonened, but a used one may add that certain something to the taste. Have a look in TK Max, I bought an 8" and 16" £20 for the two.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
New or old I would still season them to make sure they're done properly.

With an old one that's been seasoned I'd burn off the old seasoning and start again.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
May as well buy new then. Is there much difference in quality, steels etc?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
May as well buy new then. Is there much difference in quality, steels etc?

You'll pay dearly if you buy a Lodge DO but you do get good quality casting with them.

The ones from Ronnie Sunshine are good quality and usually get recommended on here on the forum as a lot of folks use them.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have been more than happy with my Ronnie Sunshine DO over the last few years and last year decided to buy one of the Petromax frying pans and so far this has proved to be pretty good too.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
Jay checked out the RS Dutch ovens and they look a fair price. Think I'll pick one up. They say pre seasoned, how did you find that?

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I did oil mine and then stick it in the oven but would probably have been OK without.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

bearbait

I got myself one of these from Ronnie Sunshines. It's a dutch oven, frying pan, griddle, lid rest and pot/lid lifter, all in a transport box. I'm quite pleased with it. I've used the frying pan and griddle more than the dutch oven...so far. You can use the griddle either way up according to need: one side is ribbed, the other flat. I even use the frying pan in the kitchen at home.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Jay checked out the RS Dutch ovens and they look a fair price. Think I'll pick one up. They say pre seasoned, how did you find that?

If I remember rightly the instructions that came with mine said that they have a protective coating on them which needs to be scrubbed off.

This then compromises what seasoning they have so they then need to be re-seasoned

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
I got myself one of these from Ronnie Sunshines. It's a dutch oven, frying pan, griddle, lid rest and pot/lid lifter, all in a transport box. I'm quite pleased with it. I've used the frying pan and griddle more than the dutch oven...so far. You can use the griddle either way up according to need: one side is ribbed, the other flat. I even use the frying pan in the kitchen at home.

Ahh yes just saw that. Thanks.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm going to go against the grain here and advise on getting a used one. But only because the best brands haven't been made for decades (Wagner and/or Griswold) Mind you'll pay dearly for one of those.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
There is a good deal of difference in the casting and quality of the metal. I've lots of traveler friends, who over the years invested in castiron cooking sets. These travel constantly in pan boxes or live outside under their vehicles when parked up, if not out by the fire frequently. Knocks and bangs can't be avoided. Most of the cheaper Chinese imports have chips around the top lip. Some from placing the lid back on when the pans are hot. Don't know if it's a shock thing. I've bought old castiron cooking pots & pans from bygone years and recently been upgrading some of my modern Dutch ovens for secondhand Lodge. Yes I will pay more money, but they are a different tool altogether.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
As already mentioned above, take a look in TK Maxx. They often have some nice cast iron pans of various sizes and are very well priced. The main thing you need to look for is casting quality and check that the metal is a nice even thickness throughout.

Then when you get it home, even if it says pre-seasoned, just season it anyway. Bacon is always a good thing to cook on it as it seasons the pan and you get to eat some bacon! You'll know it's well seasoned when you can fry an egg without it sticking! Cast iron pans are amazing if used correctly, the more you use them the better they get! How many more times can I fit the word 'season' in this paragraph!

I can also vouch for the ronnie sunshines dutch ovens. I have three of them (different sizes!) and they're all very good.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I bought a small lodge frying pan and am so pleased with it I'm buying a couple of big ones for christmas. (one for me and one for my dad).
pricey yes but the quality is very apparent.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Older pans (pre 1950ish) are apparently smoother as they were finnished of better. New ones have a slightly pitted look. This can be resolved with a fla disc in the grinder!

Charity shops usually have a few Le Crueset ones on offer. Car boot sales is another place. If they are really old and all gummed up it's easy to restore to 'factory settings' in a self cleaning oven. I've tried wire brush on drill and never moved the stuff but the self cleaning oven cremates the carbon and is 'brand new' ready for seasoning once done. hope that helps.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Older pans (pre 1950ish) are apparently smoother as they were finnished of better. New ones have a slightly pitted look. This can be resolved with a fla disc in the grinder!
In my experience, that pitted look (the orange peel finish) actually helps to create a sort of non-stick effect. completely smoothing the surface is a mistake.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE