Carrier bag charge.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Made me laugh that you have to inform the government how many bags you sold, how much you charged, and what you did with the money! :lmao:

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
And Steph called me crazy for not throwing one away VINDICATION!!!!!!!

Admittedly we have a draw full and another bag full of bags but still take the little victories

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
People still use those self destructing pieces of instant polution in England?
In West Wales nearly everyone uses reusable bags (not wanting to spend extra on a disposable bag) ... and then have to buy rolls of thin poly bags to line their wastebins (a job the old throw away ones were ideal for).... I see no reduction in the use of plastics overall....

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Our local Tesco have still got the disposals bags out for free, nobody checking what your using, might just be till their stock ruins out, not sure though.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
returnable multiple reuse bags (bags for life) ??

Dont know about you but the last time i checked a (bag for life) is more expensive than 5p. I know things are grim for a lot of people but it just shows us all how out of touch the government and supermarkets are when they expect a double thick carrier bag will outlive a human being. ;)

I once left my ex girlfriends dog tied to a pole when i went for a newspaper. I completely forgot about it until i got home and my ex asked what i had done with her tibetan spaniel so what chance does a Bag for life have. I think i have commitment issues. :)

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
My wife just came back from the supermarket... apparently they're being rather strict about the whole affair.

The first carrier bag ripped in two as she put stuff in, so the carrier bag police told her she had to return the ripped bag before she got another.

Can't have that ripped carrier bag out there on the streets... no telling what it could do to some innocent bystander!!

And Stevie... the idea with a bag for life is that when it gets damaged, you take it in and get it replaced :p Hence, its a bag for life... so I'm saving one until I'm an old man, going to deliberately tear it and see if they still honour the pledge in 40 years time.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I don't mind the 5p for a carrier bag charge in Wales. Far less carrier bags littering the streets now. In exchange for paying for a carrier bag, I get free prescriptions. Seems a good exchange to me.l

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Good excuse to make yer own, shopping with bushy style! Every problem is an opportunity :rolleyes: ;)

DSCF0037.jpg

DSCF0040.jpg

Cheers,

Alan

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
just a smoke and mirrors technique for raising a few taxes that will never see a real light of day...

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I don't mind the 5p for a carrier bag charge in Wales. Far less carrier bags littering the streets now. In exchange for paying for a carrier bag, I get free prescriptions. Seems a good exchange to me.l

Yup, just the sweet wrappers, crisp bags and empty cans to worry about now! :D

Honestly, this is like the whole smoking ban in a way... every single shop had to display a no smoking sign in their window, because of course we all used to smoke in shops?! It was already socially unacceptable to light up in a shop before the ban, so all the ban did was sell a lot of stickers and bombard us with the no smoking sign until it becomes meaningless...

Carrier bags... they're not all over the streets, they don't fill up the sea any more than any other plastic item and whilst the argument about landfill is entirely valid, the amount we send to landfill is a disgrace and plastic bags are a tiny percentage.

Saying all that, I don't disagree with the 5p charge really... its a tax for the lazy, the forgetful and the people who are so busy in life that a plastic bag is the least of their worries, so they'll pay the 5p. Then what?

This makes no difference to landfill, it makes no difference to the huge amount of packaging waste (who needs a tray and cellophane for a baked potato?) and it will see a rise in people buying plastic bags to use for their bins, cat litter, dog poops and every other use we find for recycling what we bring our shopping home in.

A real change would have been paper bags replacing all plastic, made strictly from recycled paper. That would have been a real change... but nah, 4 pence to who knows where and a penny a bag to the government to be spent on things like the HS2.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No need to line bins with bags anyway. It's not rocket science to clean it out. Quick squirt with something and a scrub out with a rag or paper towels, and the bin's clean.
I know, I know, I'm a housewife :rolleyes:
We get free rolls of bio bags from the council to be used for disposing of food and garden waste. I'm still on the first roll 'cos I have three compost bins :D and brandling worms digest just about anything organic :cool:
It's a pain in the neck standing outside in the wind trying to hand sort the litter into paper only, plastics, glass, compostable and anything left over, though. I don't know anyone who has room in their kitchen for four smaller bins. I manage with two under the sink and a bunker top stainless steel old coffee canister for the compost.
Certainly a huge reduction in carrier bags around up here.

M

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
No need to line bins with bags anyway. It's not rocket science to clean it out. Quick squirt with something and a scrub out with a rag or paper towels, and the bin's clean.
I know, I know, I'm a housewife :rolleyes:
We get free rolls of bio bags from the council to be used for disposing of food and garden waste. I'm still on the first roll 'cos I have three compost bins :D and brandling worms digest just about anything organic :cool:
It's a pain in the neck standing outside in the wind trying to hand sort the litter into paper only, plastics, glass, compostable and anything left over, though. I don't know anyone who has room in their kitchen for four smaller bins. I manage with two under the sink and a bunker top stainless steel old coffee canister for the compost.
Certainly a huge reduction in carrier bags around up here.

M
What do you do with your worms Mary. Are they for sale or just for composting purposes.??

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
We haven't used those useless carrier bags in years. The ones you get from grocery stores in the US are nothing short of a joke. Plastic thinner than tissue paper seams so dodgy they break if you look at them wrong. The thickest part of the bag is the ink used for the store logo and name. Personally I think the 5p is a good idea if it cuts down on the number of bags littering the streets and hedgerows.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ye fish, don't y' ?
Fishermen seem to adore my compost bins.
I can open a lid and a writhing knot of brandling worms the size of a poke of sugar drops off.

I just use them to compost every blooming thing I can. My garden is solid Lanarkshire blue clay (the quarry and the factory that made most of the fancy tiles for the Glasgow closes is just over half a mile away at Fallside) and the only way to keep it opened up is to dig in as much organic material, year in year out, as we can. I just keep the worms fed and they do a beautiful job of it :D

Lidl's still lets folks take the boxes.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE