Butter in a tube

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
I’ve heard of butter in a tube, but never seen it. Has anyone ever experienced it or do you know if it’s for sale?

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
never herd of it but when traveling in summer in France where carrying fat is a problem we always bought tubes of mayonnaise and used that for most things we would use butter for (other than cooking, need oil instead)

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
you can get ghee in a tube which is clarified butter if I remember rightly, thats good for cooking. those little pots of lurpak etc.. you can pick up in cafes go in your kit easy enough.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Clarified butter is easy to make and can keep for a long time. Just heat the butter up, scoop off the fat, and pour what is left in a tin or other container. Goes great with Finnish sourdough rye. :)

cuttingboard1e.jpg

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
You can fill your own tubes with butter

http://www.rei.com/product/696007 don't do it in hot weather for obvious reasons. I use these tubes a lot for things like jam, honey, 'can't believe its not butter' etc.

i use the same thing, but anchor spreadable, or skippy brand peanut butter. normal butter and peanut butter are impossible to squeeze in the cool of the morning.

i once tried heating up the anchor spreadable a bit to make it easier to get in the tube. problem was, after it had cooled again, the butter and the oil had separated out. very unsightly mess in a tube it was.

cheers ,and.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
They make cheese for real men in Michigan. You need an axe to get through it!

Nice looking spread Hoodoo... now I'm hungry too!

Cheers,
Steve

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Didn't there used to be margarine in tubes in pre-boil in the bag ration packs? I recall that there were certainly tubes of jam and condensed milk.

There was indeed (and you still get tins of margarine in the 10 man rat packs), and you could buy tubes in Blacks stores many moons ago when I was a child.

Its good to see sweetened condensed milk in Tubes again, plastic tubes now of course.

To be honest, I'm happy using a little olive oil instead of butter or spread for most sandwiches, and sick as it may sound, cheese spread and jam works well as a combination :)

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
When camping in hot weather we use Primula Cheese which you can buy in a tube, as a substitute for butter, and it is not bad. We also discovered after many years of camping that if you store your butter between the outer and inner of the tent directly in the grass,
on the side of the tent away from the sun. it keeps very well and does not melt.
Hope that this works for you too.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
When camping in hot weather we use Primula Cheese which you can buy in a tube, as a substitute for butter, and it is not bad. We also discovered after many years of camping that if you store your butter between the outer and inner of the tent directly in the grass,
on the side of the tent away from the sun. it keeps very well and does not melt.
Hope that this works for you too.

Primula is the spread I should have named in my earlier post, good stuff, but has shot up in price at my local Tesco from 99p to £1.47 a tube in about three months:eek:

Years ago you could buy 1lb tins of Lurpak butter, a nice solution, but now you can only get canned butter from the states or Australia plus the heavy postage that goes with it:(

Good tip ol smokey about the butter, you must have been in the Scouts too?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE