Bushy cure for tinnitus!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Long story short, I'm an idiot, a deaf idiot. I went out shooting the other day with a tikka T3 Hunter (cracking rifle couldn't be more impressed) in .270 winchester. Shooting 110grain polymer tipped homeload bullets with "a pretty butt nekkid charge" behind them generating according to the chrony getting towards 3400 fps. We where using a can but as my fellow hunters know a can makes very minimal difference with supersonic (possibly classed as hypersonic?) rounds, and I've had pretty severe tinnitus from it for a few days now as I want wearing ANY hearing protection (stupid, don't do it, my hearing is already shot) but I have found something that blocks it out. Sleeping to rain and thunder sounds like this!
[video=youtube;D6OhIZODLDs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6OhIZODLDs&feature=youtu.be[/video]
No affiliation to the channel but anyone that has that lovely high pitched ring may want to try this out

Mods please embed the video of you want, the internet still baffles me

Last edited by a moderator:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Anyone that's interested quick review.
no massive mods to the rifle except the can (i think it was a wildcat, certainly looked like one) 3-9X40 Leo VX scope and Harris bipod. Only big complaint and it is purely preference is the 70° bolt feels unnatural to someone used to more traditional mechs.
Mag was also an alloy replacement not the standard tikka plastic job but I don't imagine made a difference functionally purely a replacement.
Shooting consistent ~MOA groups at 100 and a whisper off MOA at 300. Hitting firebird© targets at 300-400 without much bother. Very capable platform indeed. Its not suitable for target shooting but it doesn't claim to be, for your average hunter it's spot on for the money.
Due to the weight and simple design it's a bit snappy on the recoil in .270 but you do expect that but I think it was an aftermarket recoil pad.
Trigger could use work as it's a touch creepy and not as crisp as some more expensive triggers but still what you would expect from a hunting rifle not a target rifle.
Checkering, less said about that the better, Its laser cut and it feels it could be much deeper and cleaner as it has a flattened feel on a pretty much brand new rifle.
Barrel is spot on shoots like a more expensive rifle, plenty of thickness on the chamber and bore, this rifle has been harmoised but I imagine shoots very well out of the box.
Build quality is bang on except the plastic end cap on the bolt, they do make a stainless replacement that if it was mine I would be buying.
Not sure if I would bother with a can in .270 it's always going to make a loud crack. Plenty of power and it's got the legs to reach out with the slightly longer barrel.
Slightly rattly safety but works well
They apparentl offer loads of caliber and customisation options, although the classic hunter to me does seem the best option, I'd have probably gone for .308 Not .270. The trigger pull ajustment does very little.
The case ejection is second to none. Really clean and hard ejection. Among the best I've used and it isn't going to jam quickly. Although with what seems like a smooth and tight fit you're going to have to keep on top with cleaning.
All in all a very good little rifle, it's not the best, but it's very far from the worst and would reccomend one as an allrounder. Again no affiliation just putting my opinion out there.

Ps tikka if you're reading please make one in 6.5grendel or .50 Beowulf, little punchy calibers would lend themselves brilliantly to that platform :D even .450bushmaster or .300blackout for the can fans. Something exotic for the UK market not ssdd would be nice

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good to hear of the channel Mick :D
I know of more than a few here who suffer tinnitus, and I hope your's clears up asap.
I'll embed the video so that folks can see/hear it on BcUK.

I have a conundrum though; guns etc., go on Fair Game (so that folks have a heads up about opening such discussions/images in public places. Many members read at work, college, and the forum is deliberately kept school friendly) You might find the thread moved.

cheers,
Toddy

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Good to hear of the channel Mick :D
I know of more than a few here who suffer tinnitus, and I hope your's clears up asap.
I'll embed the video so that folks can see/hear it on BcUK.

I have a conundrum though; guns etc., go on Fair Game (so that folks have a heads up about opening such discussions/images in public places. Many members read at work, college, and the forum is deliberately kept school friendly) You might find the thread moved.

cheers,
Toddy
Cheers toddy! It really does block it out quite nicely, mine usually clears up after a few days if I've been out with a rifle.
Didn't even consider that about this being in fair game actually, move anywhere that's most appropriate :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I do get tinnitus, its a side affect of ME/CFS, which is a side effect of Sarc. I shall try that, thankyou.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
My bushcraft buddy suffers from it too. To many years of being a roadie.
When we're away he has a wee battery radio on while he sleeps or his tablet on a timer. Just something low pitched seems to cancel it all out. I've a few long recordings from YouTube of Tuvan Throat Singing - Huun Huur Tu that would do the same for folk if you fancy a change from rain storms; which are equally nice. Some of the Tibetan Monks with Singing Bowls are good too.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE