Bug bite help?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
So I went for a walk in the woods last Sunday (1st of the month) and had a thoroughly enjoyable day out (been indoors stuck revising for university exams unfortunately).
The next day I discovered two small bites had appeared on my ankle in the form of little lumps- Pretty common sort of bug bite, especially as I had been sitting on a log eating my lunch, so I ignored it.
The bites didn't itch or cause me any hassle. They didn't appear to have anything in them (like a tick) and I assumed they'd go away pretty quick.

Now for the last couple of days (so a week later), they've got really quite itchy! They're definitely the same bites, and they are the only bites I have. Each one is now surrounded by a swelling about 45mm diameter. It is ever so slightly red and only slightly proud of the rest of my ankle, and has a smooth texture. The middle 5mm of the bite appears to be lower than the swollen ring (and slightly paler too, and the itch is more in the surrounding ring. Neither of the swellings have grown over the last 2 days (I've drawn rings on them and watched carefully).

Thoughts?

I tried to get a picture but as its not that much of a colour difference it was hard to get a picture, especially in the current light.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Take some tick website addresses with you when you go, I think some urban surgeries aren't too familiar with the symptoms, compared to say the Cairngorms or west of Scotland.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah, I'd get it checked. Does it look anything similar to one of these?

They're ALL examples of Lyme's Disease tic bites.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Nope doesn't look like any of the above in my opinion. Here's a picture, you can hopefully just about see them in this light. I rubbed off most of the pen so it was a bit clearer, though yes I realise I missed a bit. I've also put a highlighted copy in case you can't quite tell. Oh and the white bit in the middle of the bottom one is just dead skin where it looks like it popped during the night (probably squeezed it in my sleep!)

DSC_0217_zpsb82fd5b1.jpghighlighted_zpsc8c74133.jpg

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Like I say they're only slightly different colours to the surrounding skin. If you click the picture so you get it full size its just about visible, but barely. Thanks for looking anyway, and apologies for having to look at a picture of my foot!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Like I say they're only slightly different colours to the surrounding skin. If you click the picture so you get it full size its just about visible, but barely. Thanks for looking anyway, and apologies for having to look at a picture of my foot!

They're also days old now. Best to get them checked. If they turn out to be nothing' well and good. On the other hand if they turn out to be more serious, the sooner treated, the better.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I'm not sure because of its position, but could be the plain old midge. My old man gets huge pimples and goes all horrible, I just get a blotch for an hour or so- different people react differently so I reckon you should take the other advice and get it checked :).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Looks like a cleg (horesefly) bite to me. Raised flat 'platform', tight and itchy as ohhhh an incredibly itchy thing ? Weeping a bit at the centre ? That swelling is oedema caused by a reaction to the bite. So long as it doesn't go festerous (clegs are dirty bites) a couple of doses of anti histamines and anti inflammatories (hayfever tablet and ibuprofen) and it should start to go down pdq. Cleg bites that swell can last for a fortnight.
There are two other common potentials, apart from ticks, either mozzies or berry bugs (flower bugs).

However....if it does show any signs of bullseye rash get to the Doctor as fast as you can, tell the surgery staff that you are having an allergic reaction to an insect bite and they'll find some way to fit you in.

Every damned thing on the planet bites me :( I reckon clegs are the reason the Devil's known as the Lord of Flies :rolleyes:
I carry the aforementioned anti's and an epi pen because of them :sigh:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/bites-and-stings/Pages/insects-bugs-that-bite-sting.aspx

There's a cream that helps to stop the itch, it's called Eurax, and when the itch is unbearable, it's a godsend.

I really hope it's not ticks, it doesn't look like it to me, but better safe than sorry.

cheers,
Toddy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I can't really see from the pictures but getting them checked wouldn't do any harm (says me typing from his hospital bed right now because of ticks...). I'm sure your Doctor wouldn't mind and it'll save the NHS a lot of money in the long run, and heart ache for yourself.

Good luck; hope it's just an itchy midge bite.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....However....if it does show any signs of bullseye rash get to the Doctor as fast as you can, tell the surgery staff that you are having an allergic reaction to an insect bite and they'll find some way to fit you in......

That's just it though. The swelling/redness isn't always that obvious. And any time past the first 24 hours makes effective treatment more dubious.

Waiting is an option only if you're already absolutely certain. If there's any doubt at all, get it checked ASAP.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Looks like a spider bite to me.

As someone who has had a few spider bites, I disagree. Also, many alleged spider bites are actually just guesses, along the lines of: found a bite mark, remember seeing a spider, must be a spider bite. This happens a lot with venomous spiders being blamed for any unaccounted for mark.

However, since we don't know what this is, anything is possible, and the advice to get it checked by a doctor is good advice.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....There's a cream that helps to stop the itch, it's called Eurax, and when the itch is unbearable, it's a godsend.....

Haven't tried Eurax. Nor seen it yet for that matter. I'll have to check it out. That said, I've always (well, for the last 10 years or so) used a hydrocortisone cream for itch relief. I've found the generic ones to be every bit as good as the name brands too.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Looks like a cleg (horesefly) bite to me. Raised flat 'platform', tight and itchy as ohhhh an incredibly itchy thing ? Weeping a bit at the centre ? That swelling is oedema caused by a reaction to the bite. So long as it doesn't go festerous (clegs are dirty bites) a couple of doses of anti histamines and anti inflammatories (hayfever tablet and ibuprofen) and it should start to go down pdq. Cleg bites that swell can last for a fortnight.
There are two other common potentials, apart from ticks, either mozzies or berry bugs (flower bugs).

However....if it does show any signs of bullseye rash get to the Doctor as fast as you can, tell the surgery staff that you are having an allergic reaction to an insect bite and they'll find some way to fit you in.

Every damned thing on the planet bites me :( I reckon clegs are the reason the Devil's known as the Lord of Flies :rolleyes:
I carry the aforementioned anti's and an epi pen because of them :sigh:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/bites-and-stings/Pages/insects-bugs-that-bite-sting.aspx

There's a cream that helps to stop the itch, it's called Eurax, and when the itch is unbearable, it's a godsend.

I really hope it's not ticks, it doesn't look like it to me, but better safe than sorry.

cheers,
Toddy

Clegs can be extremely nasty, I had the misfortune to be bitten on the ankle by one just over a week ago, and it took a weeks course of antibiotics to deal with it, and you know what, I was bitten again yesterday same place but other leg, and it looks like I shall be down the Dr's first thing tommorrow to resume the antibiotics.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You have my complete sympathy Laurentius :sigh: I don't hate much, and I genuinely reckon that everything has it's place in the scheme of things; except clegs :(
I hope your lastest bite heals quickly. I find the anti's hitting it quickly really do help.

In the UK, the rate of biting buggits (I'm being polite :) ) I reckon midgies, wasps and clegs are the most likely culprits.
Keds and ticks, ants and bees, berrybugs and spiders, and mozzies, are all a lot less likely. That said, I once got a bite from a vine weevil....I had dug a couple of dozen of them out of an infested plant pot and had them in the palm of my hand to take to the bird table, and one of them bit me :yuck: Not a 'ticularly happy bunny there. My revenge was seeing a happy Robin feasting on them though :D

cheers,
Toddy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
You have my complete sympathy Laurentius :sigh: I don't hate much, and I genuinely reckon that everything has it's place in the scheme of things; except clegs :(
I hope your lastest bite heals quickly. I find the anti's hitting it quickly really do help.

In the UK, the rate of biting buggits (I'm being polite :) ) I reckon midgies, wasps and clegs are the most likely culprits.
Keds and ticks, ants and bees, berrybugs and spiders, and mozzies, are all a lot less likely. That said, I once got a bite from a vine weevil....I had dug a couple of dozen of them out of an infested plant pot and had them in the palm of my hand to take to the bird table, and one of them bit me :yuck: Not a 'ticularly happy bunny there. My revenge was seeing a happy Robin feasting on them though :D

cheers,
Toddy

How is it the old phrase goes?

"I wouldn't wish death on anyone; but there's a few obituaries I'd cheerfully read."

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
I get them same reaction to bites as you.
Got one on my elbow and one on my knee at the moment and nothing will relieve the pain and itching. I just have to wait it out.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE