1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buck 110 / 112 Pro thoughts?

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Eighteen12, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Eighteen12

Eighteen12 Forager

Hello. I spotted these while browsing around the shops and see they are a new(ish) design with features like G10 scales, nickel silver bolsters alongside a S30V steel blade. They sound nice.

Has anyone experience with these knives?

Apologies in advance if they've been discussed here already, but I can't seem to find anything on the search function.

2. beachlover

beachlover Full Member

I bought one of the 110’s from Heinnie, but it arrived a day after I went away for the best part of a fortnight and then when I opened it up on return while most of the knife was perfect, one of the scales was really disappointing as one end had been rubbed down to fit and had lost part of it’s chequering. Ordinarily I’d have returned it the next day, but it felt churlish given the time lapse and I’d bought it as a user anyway, but it was a bit disappointing. Not the fault of Heinnie as it came factory sealed and would appear to have slipped through their QC.
    That aside, it’s really solid, the back spring is perfect and equally solid when open and closed, as is the alignment. The edge and retention are excellent and all I’ve needed to do so far is strop it. As long as you’ve had a 110 before and are aware that it will be like carrying a lead fishing weight in your pocket then it’s everything a 110 should be and a really positive step forward for this classic knife. If I were buying again then I’d consider the 112 as I think I’d carry it more and I’d take an early and very close look at the fit and finish. There is also a drop point version available in the States that I’ve not seen available here, which might be an improvement on the somewhat ‘stabby’ appearance of the traditional clip point in terms of it’s public acceptability.
    As an aside, I also bought one of the aftermarket thumb bars to use it as a one handed opener - unless you have the dexterity of a concert pianist, the grip of a rock climber and the six inch fingers of Marfan’s Syndrome then don’t waste your money. :rolleyes2:

#2 beachlover, Nov 10, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    Toddy, RuaridhHunter and Eighteen12 like this.
  3. Eighteen12

Eighteen12 Forager

I don't like the idea of poor QC. For me, that alone would kill the idea of buying a premium model unless just for the fancier steel.

I have experience of both the usual Buck 110 & 112 models in their standard variety and I'd only be carrying them inside a belt pouch as they're way too bulky for pocket carry. Many years ago, I had a similar Buck knife but with a nicely shaped drop point blade and nickel silver bolsters with a more refined design but I cannot remember it's name just now. If I thought the Buck Pro was a doubt for fit & finish or generally too bulky, I'd look again to getting one of those skinnier knives instead.

beachlover likes this.
  4. beachlover

beachlover Full Member

My experience may have been a one-off regarding QC. As I said, the rest of the knife is excellent and from my memory of my old classic 110, a much better finish and feel and the difference in blade steel and edge is quite noticeable. I think that at worst if you were buying one you might need to be prepared to be returning it until you get one that’s OK or perhaps calling the lovely folks at Heinnie and asking them to check it before shipping it out.
    If you wanted to have a play with mine in order to decide then drop me a message, it’s not as though we haven’t dealt with one another before. :)

Eighteen12 likes this.
  5. Eighteen12

Eighteen12 Forager

Thank you for the info and very kind offer, Kev. Much appreciated!

I was in two minds today and then I looked at a couple of videos about them. Long story cut short, I don't think I'll go ahead with getting one, for a combination of reasons.

I might go a little more and try to get the Woodlore Spyderco or maybe even try for a second-hand Sebenza although I doubt that'll happen at the current prices. I'll probably end up the Woodlore knife, all things considered, unless something else pops up between now and a few weeks time, into the new year.

6. beachlover

beachlover Full Member

No worries. The offer still stands if you change your mind. :)

Eighteen12 likes this.
  7. C_Claycomb

Mod

Buck 110, Spyderco Wolf Spyder and Sebenza, that is an odd trio to be picking either/or from. They are all quite different in shape, weight, action and purpose. I used to have a Sebenza, but sold it and have never regretted doing so. I would look at the Lionsteel ROK and TRE way ahead of the Sebenza. I would work at getting a Hogue Ritter RSK Mk1-G2 or the Enzo Borka 90 way ahead of the Wolf Spyder.

I know you know your stuff, and folk will want what they want, but I think there are better and nicer options out there for similar money.

Also...the weight of the 110 kills it for me. They can sugar coat it, but so long as it is still a 110 it is still going to be a heavy lumpy thing, neither easy to carry, nor particularly comfortable to hold.

Eighteen12 likes this.
  8. beachlover

beachlover Full Member

While I totally agree about the weight and to some degree the ergos of the 110, I think they are a Marmite thing and for me it's also almost an emotional / romantic bit of nostalgia, as for many of us of a certain age a Buck 110 and a Puma were probably our first real knives - and this from someone who does his level best to buy kit from UK or European makers too! :banghead:

Unlike many pocket knives, it does have the advantage that one would hardly be likely not to notice if it dropped out of your pocket or pouch, :biggrin:

Eighteen12 likes this.
  9. C_Claycomb

Mod

Either because of the crippling pain if it hit your foot on the way down, or the deafening crash if it misses your foot, or the sudden lurch as the loss of ballast returns your equilibrium to normal ::lmao:

You did hear Longstrider's story from the Blade Show, about the chap who dropped the 110, point first, through the top of his shoe? All that mass translated to excellent penetrative power!

Eighteen12, Nice65 and beachlover like this.
  10. beachlover

beachlover Full Member

Yep! :D

Shouldn't laugh at the poor chap but....:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Attached Files:

11. Eighteen12

Eighteen12 Forager

Yes, they are indeed three very different knives but all can equally do my everyday duties. I've owned a mountain of knives through the years and these three designs stand out in my mind. I considered the Mnandi too but decided on the larger Sebenza as one of my options. I would be happy enough with any one of these three and will decide after Christmas. I enjoyed your story about the injury. As a self-injuring knife victim many times myself I can relate to the poor sod.

Never was a truer word said. When picking anything these days I always think back at happier time (not difficult, let me tell you) and enjoy the idea of, in this example, knives I used to own and enjoy. As I get older, I seem to be getting more nostalgic about everything! The Buck still niggles me for the simple reason that I had one years before anything else, with the exception of my little Barber pocket knives.

beachlover likes this.
  12. Nice65

Nice65 Full Member

I suspect, having sat round the fire at Sapphire Lakes, and Bardsters a few times, I may well have done. We didn’t nickname him Longstories for nothing :D

Lovely bloke to spend a weekend with, and legend at sharpening the 110. How’s he doing, anyone been in contact recently?

That’s not him in the avatar pic on the vid btw.

I nearly bought the Pro for its nostalgia, it’s a very good looking knife, the Chinese copies of the brass bolstered version were part of my youth. My dad had a proper Buck 110 that saw us many a rabbit pie and was deeply coveted by me. I think it was lost and an Opinel 8 took over the duty which became the preferred knife of the two.

Looking at the specs, the Pro is actually a bit heavier than the trad version!

firedfromthecircus likes this.
  13. firedfromthecircus

firedfromthecircus Tenderfoot

I still have my Chinese version that must be over 30 years old by now. I've wanted a real Buck 110 ever since then. Now I have looked at, and own other knives, but the Buck Hunter and Ranger still had a draw.

I recently had a bit of spare cash and decided to get both a 110 and a 112. The supplier sent a 110 Hunter Pro in error. I got in touch with them and told them I was happy to keep, or get it replaced with a standard version. They said just keep it.

So to my thoughts.
    It is an updated version, a bit more modern looking, better steel, but it is still a 110 Hunter. If you know these knives you know you either like or don't. Both opinions are valid IMHO. I'm happy with the fit and finish on mine. Time will tell if the S30V steel is better, but it does have some favourable reviews on-line. Now while I like the nickel silver and G10, being that a large part of the reason I have it is nostalgia, I'm not sure it would suffice if it was my only Buck folder. Thankfully the Ranger ticks the brass and wood box for me so the Hunter pro can stay. The other issue is the cost. I already think that Buck knives are a bit pricey over here. I got mine at the best price I could find from a UK retailer, with an introductory discount code, and at the standard Hunter price. I'm not sure whether I would pay the extra for the Pro, but then I would be happy with the standard one. YMMV.

It seems there are a lot of people on-line who like to poke fun at the original Buck folders, but it can't be denied that they are good tools that have served many people very well over the years. That longevity is part of the attraction. If you have a past like mine, where a Buck Hunter or Ranger has always been on the wish-list, then nothing else can really scratch that itch. You can say what you like about relative merits, but a Spiderco will never bring the same smile to my face as an old school Buck!

Finally, some photos, 'cause who doesn't like a photo!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice65, Eighteen12 and beachlover like this.
  14. beachlover

beachlover Full Member

I so wish you hadn't posted up the pic of the 120...... :rolleyes2: :D

15. Eighteen12

Eighteen12 Forager

Thanks for the info and pics, firedfromthecircus.

You've upped my Buck lust again with all that. I agree that their prices have risen steeply, but that seems to be the case all over. I must say that it's amusing to see makers going to Asia, etc and then charging double for a cheaper made product. It reminds me of the lottery adding 10 more balls and doing away with the extra raffle and then having the brass neck to tell players that it was what they wanted and it improves the game.

Anyway, back to this again and I'd say it'll come down to the Buck or Woodlore Spyderco for my new knife purchase. Decisions, decisions!

beachlover likes this.
  16. Nice65

Nice65 Full Member

And that’s the thing isn’t it? It’s heavy, clunky, hollow ground, with just ok steel. It’s a basic back lock and has pinned construction so can’t be taken apart, really isn’t ideal for paunching rabbits and food prep, but it still appeals.

17. beachlover

beachlover Full Member

I guess much the same could be said for the Opinel as well as many of the knives punted here and on the bushcraft Facebook groups some of which, are to my mind, not only more suitable for decapitating zombies and jungle E&E than gutting bunnies or whittling.

I guess we all make our choices according to a number of personal preferences, of which nostalgia and “strokeability” sometimes take preference over practicality. before pricing became a bit absurd, the 110’s and 120’s were good beaters that you didn’t worry about sharpening on a rock and still make good users for those who don’t fly into a health and hygiene panic over a bit of blood and guts in a hinge and for those of us who like a chunk of a knife that’s not half plastic or fragile there will always be a place for the bucks in either 420HC or S30V.

Vive la difference and all that. :)

#17 beachlover, Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    Eighteen12 likes this.
  18. Eighteen12

Eighteen12 Forager

That got me thinking back a bit. Many years ago, I was sent to the shop by my father every evening for the paper and cigarettes (no age laws then) and they were chatting in the shop about the owners's new coal lorry. I went round the back of the shop to see it, a spanking new post box red Bedford, and he was sitting on the footpath sharpening his knife on the road kerb. I got up into the cab for a look around too!

beachlover likes this.