browser hangs up at index page

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
Hello All,
I'm experiencing a weird problem at the moment. If I visit the homepage from my bookmark the page opens with no problem. If I then click the 'Forums' link to go to the index page however, IE hangs up and my cpu usage shoots up to 100%. Nothing responds and I have to reboot. This has happened every time I've tried since I installed Norton Internet Security 2009 nearly a week ago yet I've not experienced any problems on any of the other forums I visit or any other site:confused:
Oddly, if I follow a link directly to a post on BCUK from a link in my email, I can navigate around the forums using the drop down sub-forum menu at the bottom of the page without a hitch:confused:
It seems to be the Index page that is causing problems. Anyone have any ideas??
Thanks,
Dave

D

DavidW

I have had a somewhat similar experience which in fact kept me off the fourm for a couple of years. I could find a link somewhere on the internet direct to a forum thread and it would open and I could view it but if I tried to go to the home page , http://www.bushcraftuk.com , and try to log in it either caused a hang up or just simly did nothing.

I found that if you mouse over the home page link to the fourm the link shows as ,
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/index.php/Forums.html
if I click that link my pc either hangs or more often it looks like its trying to open the fourm page but the screen continues to show the home page.

If I right click and copy the short cut to the forum , then go to file open and paste that link into the widow, then modify the link to , http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/index.php
then it will open.

Its a mystery but I stopped fretting about it and just do what it takes, just glad to be able to get into the fourm again. Also my pc is an old one with an old IE level. I don't think I have the problem with my new Macbook running Leopard OS.

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
Interesting. I tried both links in your posts and each caused the same hang-up for me.
After a bit of trial and error with the Norton settings, I found switching off the new SONAR feature allowed me to use the index page without a problem. Perhaps there's a bit of code on there it doesn't like??
Anyone else using Norton Internet Security 2009 and IE6?
Cheers,
Dave

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
I've had the same problem on both my PC's (Desk & Laptop), both running XP pro with NTL's own anti virus software. Book marked pages are Ok but Google searches chuck up an error about 10 seconds in:confused:

Both Pc's are upto date with MS downloads etc' but it still happens:confused:

I've been using Firefox for a while now and that seems ok. I also run Linux on my spare laptop and that works ok too.

Richard

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
Seems to be an odd one this. It had been working ok for me for the last few days but tonight it's back to seizing up my IE again. Have to reboot when this happens. The index page always seems to get stuck with 2 items left to download - the paypal donate button being the one it actually sticks on. It's beyond my shallow grasp of all things techy.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It sounds a bit like adware

I've had a similar problems lately ever since visiting a Canadian tourist website a few weeks ago. A pop-up window was blocked but then IE closed itself, the processor went hypo and then my PC shutdown. Ever since then I get intermitent issues with IE trying to open but nothing happening, processor at 100% and then having to do a restart.
I've run all sorts of software but can't find anything.

The workaround for me is to do a system restore to an earlier time which seems to do the the trick for a while.

I've got a new machine on order so I'm not too concerned anymore.

Running XP with Service Pack 3
IE version 7.0

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I use firefox and the addblocker add on. I now block all the adds and banners etc on this site and its speeded thing right up:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE