Bringing back memories

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
Diggin out all old family stuff recently has had me thinking about my early camping memories. In particular a brown/green Lichfield ridge tent.

Anyway I picked one up the other day on Ebay for pocket change and it arrived this morning!

It's a Combat 3 in great condition and Im planning to use it as a low to ground tarp too. Very happy with it and the kids have already moved in.

Last edited:

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
Completely by chance I found this French ridge tent at a car boot sale this morning for £5. Its a Marechal Capucine 200 which I took a punt on, fully expecting it to be un-usable.

Turns out my punt paid off as it's in excellent condition.
I now have a strange compulsion to acquire more older tents.... Hahaha, T.A.D (Tent Acquisition Disorder) who ever heard of such a thing?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If your kids are like mine were, there'll be a bald rectangle of grass by the end of the Summer holidays :rolleyes: :D

There's a smell to an old tent, of hot Summers and cool damp Autumns, that lingers in the hind brain from childhood right through to whatever age you manage, I reckon.

If those tents are sound and not UV compromised and tearing, then you've got an eye for a bargain :D and a couple of useful wee tents.
There's a knack to keeping the ridge as straight as you can though….it oftimes is easiest to double up on the guy lines on the front and rear poles and pull them out at near 90degrees. It clears the door way too.
If you don't keep it straightish then wind pushes and rain leaches through the roof of the inner tent since they're so close.
The last tent looks totally unused, it's so clean :)

M

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
Thanks for the advice. I actually had a similar thought about adding a second line to the rear, so thats exactly what I will do, and now to the front as you suggest in an outwards configuration.

It is very clean, the guy said its been in his loft for a couple decades and that it had only been used a little before that. I assumed he was just trying to flog it and would say anything. But it turns out he was probably telling the truth.

Theres something thats captured me again about these ridge tents that I seem to have lost with our current Outwell Malibu 5.

The Malibu is a great tent with far more really useable space especially with the living room extension. But it just lacks a certain unquantifiable aspect I can only really call Soul. I dont know, perhaps im just talking rubbish and suffering from nostalgia?

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Thanks for the advice. I actually had a similar thought about adding a second line to the rear, so thats exactly what I will do, and now to the front as you suggest in an outwards configuration.

It is very clean, the guy said its been in his loft for a couple decades and that it had only been used a little before that. I assumed he was just trying to flog it and would say anything. But it turns out he was probably telling the truth.

Theres something thats captured me again about these ridge tents that I seem to have lost with our current Outwell Malibu 5.

The Malibu is a great tent with far more really useable space especially with the living room extension. But it just lacks a certain unquantifiable aspect I can only really call Soul. I dont know, perhaps im just talking rubbish and suffering from nostalgia?

Sometimes the right thing to do is glory in nostalgia, rather than suffer from it. :) Those are two nice tents......................

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Completely by chance I found this French ridge tent at a car boot sale this morning for £5. Its a Marechal Capucine 200 which I took a punt on, fully expecting it to be un-usable.

I now have a strange compulsion to acquire more older tents.... Hahaha, T.A.D (Tent Acquisition Disorder) who ever heard of such a thing?

Bet this gave the neighbours something to talk about!

I still have most of the backpacking tents I ever owned: just can't bear to get rid of such old friends. The oldest is a Bukta given to me for my, I think, eighth birthday. That would make it about 68 years old.

They have all been retired after, despite reproofing, they no longer gave protection in heavy downpours.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Wonderful old tents can almost hear Sid James' dirty laugh and you might even find Babs Windsor's bikini top in there somewhere! :eek:

Carry-on-Camping.jpg

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
Bet this gave the neighbours something to talk about!

I still have most of the backpacking tents I ever owned: just can't bear to get rid of such old friends. The oldest is a Bukta given to me for my, I think, eighth birthday. That would make it about 68 years old.

They have all been retired after, despite reproofing, they no longer gave protection in heavy downpours.

That's fantastic that you still have them! I might get my little boy a tent for his birthday later this year.

Im pretty sure these will be fair weather tents. Im already looking at my next purchase..... Playing around with them also has me wanting to see if I can make my own, but I think thats beyond me right now.

P.S the Bukta wouldnt be a Kestrel would it? I just realised that I have one on my watch list right now.

Last edited:

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
That's fantastic that you still have them! I might get my little boy a tent for his birthday later this year.

Im pretty sure these will be fair weather tents. Im already looking at my next purchase..... Playing around with them also has me wanting to see if I can make my own, but I think thats beyond me right now.

P.S the Bukta wouldnt be a Kestrel would it? I just realised that I have one on my watch list right now.

Why not a £20 Polish Lavvu from MM???

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I still have most of the backpacking tents I ever owned: just can't bear to get rid of such old friends.

34124066336_39fe48d3ab_z.jpg

Same here I Still got mine perfectly serviceable 37 years on, bought new rubbers only last month as the originals had perished always looked after them packed dry Kept in the house etc. also got the smaller version of the same tent the kids still love to play in them
I took this photo about 5 years ago to advertise it with the intention of selling it on, it never happened... my youngest he was about 4 then bless him, how fast they grow & turn in to horrible wee monsters.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive just got a frame tent...no idea of the make; sold to me as a 6 berth and by the looks is huge.

When I feel energetic enough I will put it up and find a bit more about it

beartmohoin

Aug 6, 2017
Ireland

Just picked up the same in a second hand shop for 10e expecting the same. In great condition, with origional pins and even a retro petal hammer and a patching kit with adhesive. Kids have moved in and stretched battery light from the poles. Only issue is front is a bit exposed to elements.
With you on the T.A.D (Tent Acquisition Disorder) ....think it might be my new hobby.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE