Bowie Renovation!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Advice please.
I bought this knife when I joined the scouts as a 10 yr old. A little more than necessary I know, but hey it was a kid thing.

For the next few years this knife had the s h i t kicked out of it, from chopping wood to being thrown at barn doors(farmer used to walk away shaking his head).
Hidden away for many years(I'm 43) it's resurfaced looking sorry for its self.
I'd like to restore it if possible with maybe a new handle. The current handle is slightly loose and a little twisted and I'm not sure how to fix this.
Is it worth doing or do I lay it to rest?
Ideas appreciated.
Regards,
Andrew.
-1.jpg

-2.jpg

-3.jpg

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
it looks like a sheffield knife to me. that handle is too nice to replace! try some superglue in a gap to see if it will stop the rattle.
i think just a good sharpen will get it up and usable again. any idea what steel it is? it looks stainless to me which would explain the lack of rust from years of use.

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
I've still got one o' these....Take the handle off.....fill it wi' aralldite....sticke back on......leave fer 24hrs....good as new!..:D
Or ye can have a go at makin' a new handle yersel'.....bit more personal fer yer ol' blade.....

There are no markings on the blade, but it has to be stainless.
Apart from a little pitting there's no damage, but it could do with a good sharpen.

I'm not sure how to remove and re-fit the handle!
I don't know if the butt is aluminium with a brass nut is press fitted or has a thread.
I'll give it a good clean and try and get a good edge on it and take it from there.

Thanks all for the advise,

Andrew.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Nice.Classic old boy scouts knife.These types have the pommel screwed on the tang then peened to hold it tight.Im guessing all its usage over the years has rattled it a little!Prehaps the leather washers have shrunk a little?..
Nice Sambar handle btw.
Looks just like the ones by the Sheffield maker:William Rodgers.

Have you ever re-handled a knife before?

MickG

Forager
Feb 2, 2009
Blackwood South Wales
Trying to send a picture
DSCF0006-2.jpg

This one has " I cut my way" Made in Sheffield on the blunt thingy bit near the handle
Someone will tell me what that part of the blade is called
had this one for about 20 years only last year made the sheath and cleaned and sharpened the blade
Slices a sheet of paper and removes hair off my arm

Last edited:
There's no makers mark of any kind.
Could it have been a copy. It's well made so I have my doubts.

launditch1. No I haven't re-handled a knife. It may be beyond my current ability.
I have very little in the way of tools or a place to use them.

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
araldite the gaps , if the handle is twisting you need to get enuff in to make contact from handle to tang im in llangynider if it helps i can put an edge on it for you ive have recently started makeing my own knives.
other alternative is to soak the leather washers in the hanfdle in linseed oil see if they expand to take up the slack the problem with these knives was always the handles twisting when they got old
i would agree its a sheffield by the way i have a m8 with the exact same one
ill post a pic of what i just made in this section if i can help let me know im close and got most of the tools :)
link to my knife....http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=658840#post658840

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer Lyndon.
There's no gaps to insert araldite, washers are still tight.
The handle can twist a few degrees but no up/down movement.
I'm thinking of clamping the the blade, twist the handle into place and use your idea with linseed.
I'll post the result.

Andrew.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE