Bit of a long shot (Bristol)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NarzaCyst

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2014
Cardiff
Afternoon all,

As the title says, bit of a long shot but here goes. Been a member of this forum for some years now and have decided to return after some life events taking prescient over recent years, and sadly the activity appears to be low from what i remember.

Most (infact all) of my experience wild camping etc is in the south wales region and all (but 1) wild camping spots are over there as far to Maesteg.

I moved to Bristol in Jan 2018 and have always been on the lookout for Wild Camping spots close by, but have only found one which really is extremely remote but close to Bristol (Within 10 miles for me which is Southmead)

Ive not had chance to camp there yet, but have spent numerous days there monitoring human activity and i must say, i havent seen a soul there yet even a trace.

This place is a moderate walk, about 1-1.5 miles, up a hill and back down again with some rummaging (about 20 yards worth) through through overgrown vegetation.

I would love to meet up with someone from Bristol to share this location with and get a regular wild camp going with a couple of you.

To me, this place is amazing as it gives the feel of walking into Jurassic Park, but the only downside is there is no permanent water source for water filtration etc.

If anyone is interested, please get in touch via this post or DM.

Thanks,
Alex

Lacijag1

Forager
hi Alex,

i am in the area, in portishead, i mostly camp in wales as it is close and offers better spots, i haven't had a camp yet in bristol area and haven't really been around looking for camping spots.
i am up for a meet up and a wild camp, let me know, cheers

Laz

NarzaCyst

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2014
Cardiff
hi Alex,

i am in the area, in portishead, i mostly camp in wales as it is close and offers better spots, i haven't had a camp yet in bristol area and haven't really been around looking for camping spots.
i am up for a meet up and a wild camp, let me know, cheers

Laz
Hi Laz,

Thanks for replying. Was begining to think I was the only person in the Bristol area. Like you I mainly camp in Wales also, going there today actually to camp.

Well up for a camp mate if you are. If you fancy meeting up first over a pint and can show you the location on the map I'm up for that too.

Feel free to message me. Look forward to testing this ground out.

Alex

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Lacijag1

Forager
Hi Laz,

Thanks for replying. Was begining to think I was the only person in the Bristol area. Like you I mainly camp in Wales also, going there today actually to camp.

Well up for a camp mate if you are. If you fancy meeting up first over a pint and can show you the location on the map I'm up for that too.

Feel free to message me. Look forward to testing this ground out.

Alex

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

I think it's easier if we talk over phone, text or whatsapp, my number is (removed by Toddy for your privacy's sake; probably best to pm details. Good to hear you're both getting out and about though :) )

Last edited by a moderator:

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I'm in the Bristol area too, about 10 mins from portishead. But I don't camp out too much. Be interested possibly in a day hang out but ATM due to health can't commit to an over nighter.

Be interested in what you guys have in mind though. :)

Lacijag1

Forager
I'm in the Bristol area too, about 10 mins from portishead. But I don't camp out too much. Be interested possibly in a day hang out but ATM due to health can't commit to an over nighter.

hi

i am ok with day camps too, as i said to Alex, even tho i am local i mostly camp in wales and don't really know any local spots suitable for day camping or for over night camping.
i am interested in local walks/day hikes or just having a day camp, possibly with some outdoor cooking, lately i been really in to spoon carving, i would probably collect some wood for carving as well.
if this is something u would like to do, drop me a msg

NarzaCyst

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2014
Cardiff

Hi @Samon as with Laz, im happy with a day hike / chill as much as an over nighter also, so happy to meet up and share the spot so long as we get some camp fire cooking going im always happy! :)

@Lacijag1 I may take you up on the spook carving as i have some cheapy carving knives but just dont know where to start.

Cheers both,
Alex

py6km

Mar 4, 2014
UK
Eyup folks! I'm in Bristol too - have camped overnight a couple of times on Dartmoor and in Devon, but never over in Wales and certainly never thought about looking for anywhere closer to home as there just always seems to be too many people everywhere these days! Also tricky to find the time what with family and work etc.

Would be up for meeting likeminded peeps though and doing an overnighter somewhere.

NarzaCyst

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2014
Cardiff
Hey @py6km, sorry for the delay, been hit with a chest infection the past week and still struggling at the moment. Its easier for me on weekends thats for sure. So if you fancy a day hike in to check it out or an over nighter in the NY or something, give me a shout.

Feb 25, 2015
Bath
Hi, if it's not too late to be replying I'm over in Bath, got a couple of small local woodlands that I have spent some time in.

If anyone is up for a coffee, walk, or camp I'm definitely interested.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
It's worth just settling on a date and then announcing it and saying that it's going ahead as a camp, then whoever comes comes. Often you just need to be willing to get out there and do it anyway, then others seem to find an interest. If there's a few of you just go with that and see where you end up!
Good luck with organising a meet up goodjob

Reactions: woodspirits

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE