Birch Sap News

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's coming soon, so I thought I'd make this thread so that we can keep everyone updated around the country on the latest news on birch sap rising. This will help those folk who cannot get out and about regularly.

Nothing happening yet here in the Midlands, but the buds on the trees are getting to the right size, I estimate a couple of weeks or less if the weather stays mild.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
anybody got any good tutorials on tapping?
we can keep that in with what we have here too.
downy buds are showing their fur atm and the silver birches are starting to bud too!
can't wait to try my first tap!
pete

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Went for a quick bimble this afternoon, the sap is definately beginning to rise here (midlands) four out of five trees tested had a steady flow.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Push your knife up into the tree bark at an angle. If sap starts to flow well when you remove, then its time. Normally this is when the buds are swelling before the leaves come out for the new season of growth.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
20Feb20098.jpg

20Feb20097.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
And out comes the kit. I reckon another 5 days to a week and it'll be spurtin out like a good un.

I use bored demi-jon bungs with some wine makers hose fitted into the hole, fits the auger hole perfectly and is air tight so you don't waste a drop and helps keep the tree infection free. The free end fits into a billy or water bag, which I tie to the trunk.

DSC02152.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Jonathan - nice idea there.

I might have to pop to the local brew-shop and see if I can get a few bungs and some hose.

I take it you've used that setup before yea?

Certainly have, works a treat. It's the easiest way I've found to collect and takes no time at all to set up.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Cool, and then dirt and stuff shouldn't get into the sap either! I'm gunna have to do the knife and stick method because the trees that I have access to that I can actually tap aren't that big and I think that if I used an auger, it might pop out the other side or at least damage the tree a bit too much. Oh well, I don't need much sap anyway so no worries.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I got about a pint this morning, beautifully fresh and tastes great. Normally my tapping happens a few days after everyone else and the sap has never been clear or as refreshing as this was.

21Feb20092.jpg

21Feb20093.jpg

21Feb20094.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
About 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. The final wooden plug should fit very tight obviously, it's a good idea to have a auger hole in a small piece of wood so you can find a nice corner of the woods and whittle away so you have a few ready.

21Feb2009.jpg

And with this rubber bung and hose method, you get no drips.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
out for a walk today and tested some of the local tree's not a drop... somewhat disheartening i suppose. i'll keep an eye out tho.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE