Bimini knot and Whoopie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Do knots go here? :)

I thought I'd put these vids up. I got introduced to the Bimini recently when I started fly fishing again. Very handy for that, and there's a million other uses.

The Whoopie I came across when ordering some 3mm dyneema cord the other day. I didn't know that there is a exploitable quality to this cord, i.e. it has 'scales' apparently, and if you poke one end of the cord into the other end of the hollow variety it binds onto itself immovably.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
A lot of hammockers use the 3mm Dyneema for whoopies, absolutely swear by them.

On a larger scale they’re used in the arb industry for arresting the descent of large sections, not Dyneema, a sleeved poly/nylon rope. Like the old Mexican finger traps you’d get in joke shops.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
zackly ... though my only interest in the stuff at the mo is to reduce the weight of my hiking pack, by whatever number of grammelettes I can.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Forgive my "lack of knowledge" here but what is the advantage of the bimini .... I just see a loop on the end of the line that could could be put there so much easier. Could it be a function of the very thin line ??? Just wondering not trolling.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Handy, quick, stable, strong and low-profile. I don't know what its used for by others, but it is very useful for swapping out different fly lines on spools and attaching to your backing line ... braided backing line is notorious stuff for being awkward to knot, but responds well to the bimini. And, in the marvelous situation where you might find yourself attached to a disgreeable 40lb king salmon, you'll want that link in the chain to be bankable. It is also a bit cool, possibly ... definitely fun to make. :)

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Forgive my "lack of knowledge" here but what is the advantage of the bimini .... I just see a loop on the end of the line that could could be put there so much easier. Could it be a function of the very thin line ??? Just wondering not trolling.
Funny you mention trolling. The Bimini Twist started out as a fishing knot for ocean species, where a loop was needed that maintained the breaking strength of the line.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I have never really been that concerned about knots and how they reduce the strength of the line. I do understand that they do but as I have always had a ridge line that was over the top it was not a worry. I have use much thinner stuff for guy lines but none of it has ever been life threatening. Even when the wind really got up at the moot this year, ( It blew so hard my underquilt was flat to my bum at times.) , with the tarp flapping like a madman I was still not getting up to do anything. By all means it is somewhat different half way up a monroe in the north of Scotland.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
20191119_142406.jpg

As nice65 said here's some big boy whoopie and loopy slings just for interest.
Exactly the same as hammock stuff just scaled up

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE