Bicycle tyre levers ???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Having broken two this afternoon trying to remove a wire rimmed tyre, I'm in the market for replacements. Any recommendations? (Other than 'Get a car!' etc :p )

I'd prefer recommendations from first hand experience ~ but seeing them used up close is a good second ;)

I'd rather buy once and buy right ~ I reckon they'll all break or become unusable given the right/wrong use, but some look ... well ... as if they'd break if looked at too quickly :yikes: and those which _look_ substantial might not be :dunno: .

Thanks for taking the time to look and read :) .

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
whats wrong with using the contents of the cutlery drawer ?? spoon or fork handles used to work a treat ,back in the day like :) :)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
For bike tools park tools cant be beaten, the snap on of the bike world, had a set for around 20 years and they are still going strong.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
i rate ''Pedros'' tyre levers, excellent and tough.

images

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I wonder, is it possible to still get metal levers? I shall have to search! :D

That's the type my Dad has and we used as kids - now it's plastic and I'm not a fan. I also used forks (much superior to spoons as you could hook the tines behind the spokes easily)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I'v got some old steel ones that were old when my dad gave them to me years ago. Good quality steel, i cant see how you'd ever break these
Car boot sale would be my choice

I'm sure i used to change my mountain bike tyres without levers as a teenager....maybe they are different now?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
3 years as pro bike mechanic, I don't recall ever having to use tyre levers. Push the tyre to the centre of the rim all the way round and just pull away from the rim and then off sideways.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
whats wrong with using the contents of the cutlery drawer ?? spoon or fork handles used to work a treat ,back in the day like :) :)

Suitability would depend on design. I have to admit that I headed in that direction but then realised that the only suitable handles were on cutlery which have sentimental value :eek: .

For bike tools park tools cant be beaten, the snap on of the bike world, had a set for around 20 years and they are still going strong.

Thanks, I know of Park and it's good to know they've served someone well :D

i rate ''Pedros'' tyre levers, excellent and tough.

Park I was aware of, Pedros is new to me :D

I wonder, is it possible to still get metal levers? I shall have to search! :D

That's the type my Dad has and we used as kids - now it's plastic and I'm not a fan. I also used forks (much superior to spoons as you could hook the tines behind the spokes easily)

My prelim research, prior to asking here, threw up all sorts. Metal are still available ~ but whether and which, modern metal ones are any good ... ;)

During my head scratching, post breaking the modern plastic levers, I remembered that I'd been given a set of metal levers by my Father in Law :cool: . Unfortunately one needs a bit of work, the other one is what I used to remove the tyre ~ but I was slightly concerned that the lever might damage the rim :yikes: . Lack of experience with them I guess :eek: .

Get yourself some motorcycle tyre irons Phil.

They're stronger and you shouldn't have any trouble with them breaking on you

Cheers steve, I shall add they type to the list of 'to look at's :D .

I'v got some old steel ones that were old when my dad gave them to me years ago. Good quality steel, i cant see how you'd ever break these
Car boot sale would be my choice

I'm sure i used to change my mountain bike tyres without levers as a teenager....maybe they are different now?

As above, after breaking the modern plastic jobs I remembered I had a set of vintage metals :cool: ... but one of the pair is damaged :(

From what I've been looking at and reading this afternoon it seems some tyres come off easily, some don't. This one was going nowhere without strong persuasion ;) :rofl:

Thanks for the suggestions and recommendations so far. It's much appreciated :) .

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
3 years as pro bike mechanic, I don't recall ever having to use tyre levers. Push the tyre to the centre of the rim all the way round and just pull away from the rim and then off sideways.

Pro tip :cool:

Even when I'd got the first few inches over the rim the remainder was stubbornly refusing to follow ~ must be poor technique on my part :eek:

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
In youth cutlery used with one eye on kitchen door to see if Mother was about.

any tricks for getting them back on without levers at hand?! normally that's not too difficult (these days) but on one occasion i was struggling rather hard (cheap chinese tyres....) and there was no tyre lever or substitute at hand....

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------

Another vote for pushing the bead into the centre where the diameter is less then just pulling it off without the levers.

Not used tyre levers on a pushbike since I was a kid.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
any tricks for getting them back on without levers at hand?! normally that's not too difficult (these days) but on one occasion i was struggling rather hard (cheap chinese tyres....) and there was no tyre lever or substitute at hand....

Just the reverse, push bead into centre of rim if needed and squeeze on. It takes some grip. If it's really stubborn, a bit of french chalk and again pushing the bead into the rim centre will help the last bit 'pop' over.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
In youth cutlery used with one eye on kitchen door to see if Mother was about.

I'd be more concerned if I saw mine now :yikes:

forget plastic tyre levers, load of rubbish. Get yourself down Halfords and buy some of their cheapo metal ones.

ATM it's looking likely that I'll invest some time trying to fix up the damaged vintage one :D . But I dare say that a decent and recommended modern composite set will make their way as well :D .

Another vote for pushing the bead into the centre where the diameter is less then just pulling it off without the levers.

Not used tyre levers on a pushbike since I was a kid.

I'll have to look into the technique ~ this one didn't seem to want to shift for me BUT that's not saying that doing something in a slightly different way wouldn't have had it slipping off like wet soap :eek:

any tricks for getting them back on without levers at hand?!

Seconded :D

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Just the reverse, push bead into centre of rim if needed and squeeze on. It takes some grip ... and again pushing the bead into the rim centre will help the last bit 'pop' over.

I was fine putting it back on ~ except for the last few inches which stubbornly refused until they were ironed on ;) .

Perhaps I'm just coming from a position of uncertainty and so, am being a bit too gentle :eek: :dunno:

nurvware

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2013
Wirral
I always used small spoons from kitchen draw. I bought a set of plastic tyre leavers and broke 2 of the 3 on first use so went back to small spoons

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Don't get any that look like this, wired tyres destroy them like matchsticks, doesn't matter what brand name they got on them, plastic crap that cause more punctures than owt else

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tools-tl1c-tyre-levers/

this is the type of ones i use with the wheel rim protectors,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Pcs-12-...315?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ace46f3bb

personally wouldn't be putting cutlery anywhere near my wheel rims or tyres, it was alright for my bmx when i was 12 doing a cowboy job but good wheels and tyres cost a lot of dosh these days.

Many regular tyres should pop on and off without any levers, i use Schwalbe Marathon Plus and they are impossible to get on or off without a lever or two but they are indestructable to punctures so once on it's not a worry

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE