Best Mossie Repelant for Jungle trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I'm prepping my kit for a trip to the South American Jungle in May and wondered if anyone has any suggestions for an effective Mossie repelant that really works in the Jungle?

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I've never been to the jungle but the best insect repellent i have ever used has been Smidge, worked all over UK and when i took it to the USA i was surrounded by people being feasted on by blackfly, horseflies and deerflies and mossies and i was being left alone, it was so bad people started asking for some of my Smidge

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I can suggest one to avoid cos it absolutely reeks like a burnt out clutch.
This stuff...
expedition-50.jpg

Dunno about repelling them, they smell that stuff and tap me on the shoulder saying "Ere mate, yer clutch is burning out"

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Lol, cheers demo, smells like a Morrisons car park of a Saturday night! OK, i'll see if i can find some Smidge, thanks for the suggestions guys, much appreciated.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Deet and more Deet. In my experience of testing various so called mozi repellents the only one that works is high concentrations of Deet. Wear appropriate clothing and adjust your behaviour to minimise being bitten.

Insect bourne diseases are no joke. Celebral malaria, Dengue, and Zika to mention a few. Take your meds apply your repellant liberally and enjoy a wonderful experience.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Deet and more Deet. In my experience of testing various so called mozi repellents the only one that works is high concentrations of Deet. Wear appropriate clothing and adjust your behaviour to minimise being bitten.

Insect bourne diseases are no joke. Celebral malaria, Dengue, and Zika to mention a few. Take your meds apply your repellant liberally and enjoy a wonderful experience.

Thanks Wayne. Yes, totally appreciate that, one of the reasons why i'm being so proactive about protection. I had a look on the Government website and i am approaching my GP for any jabs i should have if bitten but, if i can avoid being bitten in the first place (i know it's not really a bite), so much the better!

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Smidge is very good, 3M's cream insect repellent also works well, with a good DEET content.

A high in garlic diet cant hurt either. I suffer badly from hayfever and as such take anti-histamine daily, thankfully this means even if i do get bit it just turns a bit red but never seems to itch, much to the envy of the other walking scratch marks going about the place. You can buy similar ones in a shop for less than a quid for a 2 week supply.

Tonyuk

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Smidge is good, also Avon Skin-so-soft original ( blue-ish bottle) is also rather good. These are the only Two that've worked proper for me. The only two I use now.

SSS from Avon used to work before they changed the formula they do a insect repellant but its a little more expensive Smidge the midge was endorsed by the Scottish Tourist Board and refused to test our midge repel or our bug oil which is a Anti feedent which means bitey things may go onto you but wont feed.

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
if youre off to the jungle, may i offer the following advice?:

1. Get used to having a 'wet and dry' routine.
2. wear cycling shorts as yr wet underwear, and dont wear underwear in yr hammock at night. (allows yr bits to get some air)
3. carry a dry bag full of anti-bacterial foot powder, that way you can just dip yr whole foot in the bag and get it well covered, then give each foot a good massage during yr evening routine.
4. have an external pocket or pouch on yr pack with yr cook pot and days food in. that way you dont need to open yr main pack everytime u want to eat.
5. put disposable lighters all over yr kit.
6. eat 1 garlic tablet (excellent anti mosi and no smell) every morning and one multivit tablet. if youre going under the canopy for an extended period of time, yr rations wont be sufficient.
7. yr wash kit should consit of: a bar of antibacterial unscented soap. an exfoliation glove (the best thing for scrubbing sweat and detrious off yr skin) unscented tooth paste and a tooth brush. thats really all u need.
8. have a waterbottle handy in yr hip, so u can drink on the move. in the same pouch have a little tub of puri tabs with an oxygen absorber in with the tabs. every time u cross water, drink the entire contents of yr bottle, refill and puritab it. make it yr routine.
9. waterproof yr main pack. twice.

experience in living in the jungle with various expeds to south america and malaysia, northern australia. i love the jungle me.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Can I just clarify point 2 please
Agree on the principle, not fun having a leech or something biting you where you really don't want to get bitten!
Cycling shorts though, have the built in padding for when you're on the bike saddle sore
Running shorts don't and that's what I used when i went

To the OP
I second DEET
Not eco stuff but effective. in the end nothing is 100% as it depends on the determination of the local mozzies but I've not found a natural alternative to match DEET in those environments, good as some of them are in this country

Interesting thread. We're off to Costa Rica in May ourselves
Have fun

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
DEET eats plastic, including contact lenses if sweat washes it into your eyes.

When I went to New Zealand I was most concerned about the Sand Flies, they pack quite a bite, although they do not bite through clothing, do not fly at night, and do not carry disease. I don't like DEET much, although I have used it for years. I had tried Autan (Bayrepel / icaradin / picaridin) in Scotland and had good results, so did a bit more research and think I have found my preferred repellent from now on. Worked well in New Zealand on the sand flies.
http://www.autan.com/nqcontentd3cb.aspx?a_name=Info

On further investigation, I see that the active ingredient is the same as GGTBod's Smidge.

Interesting comparisons
http://www.medicaldaily.com/four-be...mon-eucalyptus-most-effective-says-ewg-247785

Treat all clothes with permethrin too, and probably your hammock. Treating the hammock lines can discourage things like ants from using the hammock as a bridge from one tree to another.

Last edited:

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Thanks everyone, very much appreciate your Input. I did a little time in the Jungle in Belize but it was such a long time ago and the only repellant i got was the issue stuff. My time in the jungle will not be under tarpaulin but based in Barracks as i will be filming with Channel 4. Not so much survival stuff although i do hope i get the opportunity to have a night out. Thanks again.

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
Can I just clarify point 2 please
Agree on the principle, not fun having a leech or something biting you where you really don't want to get bitten!
Cycling shorts though, have the built in padding for when you're on the bike saddle sore
Running shorts don't and that's what I used when i went

yes, if you buy the posh ones! which only a nugget would do if they intended to wear them in the jungle!

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I always understood the padding is the difference between cycling and running shorts
Just didn't want someone ordering something online only to find it not suitable

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE