Beginners Dutch oven recipes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Got one last week, but haven't 'christened' it, apart from a scraping of dripping.

What should I try as a first recipe? (I'm a confirmed omnivore, as anyone who's ever seen me will testify.)

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
a stew or perhaps a chilli?

....... or bread
ashamed053611282jy0.gif

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
too much choice...... how to choose.....

basically anything that requires a pot or an oven as it can act as either

Aug 19, 2010
Leeds
I did an apple and blackberry crumble yesterday and took it round to a mates BBQ, it went down a treat.... Lined the oven with foil, buttered the foil, put in my fruit etc, sprinkled the crumble on top and covered it with a piece of foil.... Put it on the BBQ grills covered the lid in coals, left it about 35mins then took the lid off and put a couple of coals on the foil just to brown the crumble up for a minute or so!
Just started dutch oven cooking myself. Chillies, currys and stews are the obvious choice but you can do so much more.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
100% a curry, something meaty and spicy. I prefer lighter acidic curries to creamy ones myself.

A hot bowl of curry with rice (or cous cous) is fantastic under the tarp at this time of year. Brew of some sort to go with.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Have a go at pulled pork, it's super simple and very tasty.

Get yourself a pork shoulder joint as well as some carrots, onion and a cheap bottle of cider. Cut the onion in half and lay it on the base of the dutchy along with a few carrots. The veg is there purely to raise the pork off the bottom of the pot. They'll also add flavour and will be quite tasty!

Sit the pork on top of the veg and pour in the cider. Hang it over the fire on a low heat for approx 4hrs, Keep an eye on the fluid levels and top up with water if necessary.

Serve in bread rolls with bbq sauce. Apple sauce is also very nice.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
To be truthful, everything can be cooked in one, from simple portidges and gruels to gourmet goulashes.

A cooking vessel like this has been around ( materials from burnt clay to cast metals) for Millenia.
I am certain Jesus’ Last Dinner was cooked in one.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Have a go at pulled pork, it's super simple and very tasty.

Get yourself a pork shoulder joint as well as some carrots, onion and a cheap bottle of cider. Cut the onion in half and lay it on the base of the dutchy along with a few carrots. The veg is there purely to raise the pork off the bottom of the pot. They'll also add flavour and will be quite tasty!

Sit the pork on top of the veg and pour in the cider. Hang it over the fire on a low heat for approx 4hrs, Keep an eye on the fluid levels and top up with water if necessary.

Serve in bread rolls with bbq sauce. Apple sauce is also very nice.

This worked well for a mate and I recently, took the skin and fat off the shoulder first, smothered it in Cajun Blackened Seasoning, smoked over beech wood for an hour or so and then into the duchy with veg on bottom and stock, four hours or so and it was falling apart :)

Hung the rind above the fire for a few hours to smoke and render and then crisped up on the grill, went down very well with some beer ! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE