Be careful with that chainsaw........(X-RAY BUT NO BLOOD/GORE)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Someone up there likes this guy:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-leaves-man-with-large-blade-in-shoulder.html

FdPaGcsl.jpg

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Ouch? I'd be saying a heck of a lot more if that was me. Maybe this is the reason I hate chainsaws. I'll use and axe ot hatchet, might take longer but at least that wouldn't happen.:D

ive seen some really bad wounds with axes too. I reckon some people will just have it happen to them no matter what tool they use.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
wow! - I presume he was wearing a chainshaw ppe jacket as otherwise it would have kept going I guess.... lucky guy for sure though!!

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Depending on your perspective it was either his lucky day or it wasn't :)

sums it up perfectly, his surgeon said and to quote ''he was appropriately upset'', not sure what appropriate means but i would have been a lot worse than this :aargh4:

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I'm trying to imagine how that happened. They say they think it hit a knot and kicked back. Plausible. I reckon he must have been leaning over the saw though.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
On my chainsaw course the instructor advised that 90% of chainsaw accidents are fatal due to once the chainsaw bites it gets hungry for blood. In view of this he is very lucky to have survived.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoh - that is going to sting in the morning!
I am scared thingless by chainsaws - I had a little electric one given to me... but after the chain flew off a couple of times it went in the bin!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
wow! - I presume he was wearing a chainshaw ppe jacket as otherwise it would have kept going I guess.... lucky guy for sure though!!

Most don't. I work for a large utility company, within which is probably the largest tree surgery company in the UK. Chainsaw jackets aren't standard issue apart from when two people are working in a bucket truck. Then the one who isn't cutting wears the jacket.

The guy is only 21, so is inexperienced. Hell of a way to gain some though :(

Kickback only occurs when cutting with the top of the bar tip, and he will have been taught the dangers, but the broken chain may tell another story. Though it looks like it may have been cut after the accident to aid removal.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I was guessing he used that top of the bar tip also. That's a recipe for disaster in my opinion.

There's other ways things happen with chainsaws but that front top edge of the bar is right good at causing a nasty kickback.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
hmm - I was taught how to bore square holes through posts using the tip of a chainsaw - at 18. It's not *really* dangerous if you do it right. Which includes thinking "If the blade kicks back, where will it go?" and not standing in that space.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
hmm - I was taught how to bore square holes through posts using the tip of a chainsaw - at 18. It's not *really* dangerous if you do it right. Which includes thinking "If the blade kicks back, where will it go?" and not standing in that space.

not really dangerous exept the first few inches is it don't stand over it, and don't put your weight behind it? 21, maybe an hgv licence start age for the more mature person.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon

when I was taught we were told to use the bottom part of the tip to bore through. The top quarter of the tip is the bit that causes kickback. But you're right, how and where to stand are important safety aspects to using a chainsaw.
Not quite sure where this idea that chainsaws are death machines comes from. I've been using one for over 7 years now and the only accident I've ever had with one was when I knocked it of a workbench (fortunately I had my steelies on). Of all the people I've ever heard who've had accidents most of them have been caused by fatigue which has led to bad practise.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
when I was taught we were told to use the bottom part of the tip to bore through.

8"-12" diameter posts, so the whole blade ended up going through. It's just a case of "keep clear of kickback arc, don't force it, sharp blade, let the engine do the work, just guide it gently".

I have met someone who gave themselves a frontal lobe lobotomy with a chainsaw. He'd taken off the kickback guard because it 'got in the way'. It's arguable if the accident had any impact on his intelligence.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE