BANNOCKS AND RATIONS

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
Having read the article on rations I cannot agree the figur of 347 lbs for a 15 days ration based on the hbc ration. Surely the figure is 41.25lbs or 48.75 lbs. The article on bannocks seem to indicate that the writer bases his rations on HBC amounts which would appear to be a daily intake of over seven thousand calories. Either he does or he doesnt, if he doesnt then he hasnt realised that he is carrying far more than he ever uses. I cant believe that anyone these days would require or could eat those calories in that form. In fact I cant believe the writer knows what he is talking about.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Kimboko the article is correct 347 pounds.

I quote,

"Hunter (an employee of hbc) pointed out that this ration for seven men on a 15 day trip weighed a total of 347 pounds."

The daIly ration per man being 2lbs of flour.

Hope that clarified things for you.

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
The "ARTICLE" says

"The peas and barley were intended to be boiled along side any game taken upon the trail.
This ration per man would weight 347 pounds if rationed for a 15-day trip.
NWC Voyageur’s meal"

OBVIOUSLY A MISQUOTE!.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Indeed - I just re-read the article and the book the quote was taken from and the quote in my last reply was correct.

Said weight of rations was for seven men over 15 days.

Glad to see someone read the article!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE