Balti sauce

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
After moaning on a few occasions about the mushroom balti we've had delivered.....Ive decided to have a go myself at making one myself.
Any good tied and tested recipes out there???
It's got to be reasonably mild for H ..... There seems to be so many different variants I'm not sure where to start...
Anything Balti wise in your curry book BR? To be honest I'm not sure of the difference in a balti but H reckons she's not as keen on curry...???

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive got the Curry club balti book, but have not tried anything, so I cannot vouch for them.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I blame you for this Dave. I currently have six litres of curry sauce base (onions, garlic and ginger) simmering away. The first batch is destined for a king prawn dhansak, but the next might well be a Balti:). I also have a big pot of Tarka Dal on the go.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I blame you for this Dave. I currently have six litres of curry sauce base (onions, garlic and ginger) simmering away. The first batch is destined for a king prawn dhansak, but the next might well be a Balti:). I also have a big pot of Tarka Dal on the go.

Eating otters now, eh? .............:)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Why mess about? Once you have the base sorted, you can knock out anything from a korma to a madras in quarter of an hour.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire

Is that recipe from "the curry secret"?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sure is Louis, an excellent book for those of us who like curries and home cooked meals but can't spend four hours cooking each day.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
It is a fab book, a great base sauce and I have never had a recipe fail from there.

It's often quicker to cook from scratch than pop to the Indian restaurant next door!

Louis

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Glad its not just me:). A dinky little book but it really comes into its own when you can or freeze the base sauce.

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
a little heads up for you when you do stage 1 e.g simmering the onions ,garlic and such - shut the kitchen door to the rest of the house ,open all kitchen windows and put the extractor fan on if you have one ! I didn't and the house was stinking of boiled onions and garlic for a few days lol. me mam also went off it ! lmao.

hammy

Forager
Sep 28, 2004
Pegswood, Northumberland.
Used the Kris Dillon book for years, however if you want to up your game. I highly recommend this book by Mick Crawford.
The curry secret book is good but does not give you Bangladeshi Indian restaurant food.
Bangladeshi being by far the majority of Indian takeaway and restaurants in the UK.
This book really did end my search for making restaurant quality Indian food at home.
There is a volume 2 as well with lots of recipes you often see on the chefs specials menus.
http://www.indiancurryrecipes-cbm.com/
The same principals apply, base gravy precooked meats etc. All frozen in portions. Defrost then cook any curry you fancy in 15 minutes. 10lts of base frozen in portions in the freezer now.

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Tommy, your problem might be youre eating at the wrong curry house...

...You need a place that does food with all natural ingredients, most curry houses use a heroic amount of additives. (Including enough food colouring to paint a house.)

Tengu (Dont look at me, I used to work in the industry....)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE