Backpack security mods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tom89

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
England
Hi, in April I'm going travelling and potentially I will be leaving my backpack alone for periods of time. Does anyone have any ideas/ know how to mod a backpack so as to be able to lock it with a travel padlock or something just as a bit of a deterrent? I was thinking maybe putting some eyelets on the lid and main body so a padlock could be passed through but any suggestions would be good.
Cheers

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hi, in April I'm going travelling and potentially I will be leaving my backpack alone for periods of time. Does anyone have any ideas/ know how to mod a backpack so as to be able to lock it with a travel padlock or something just as a bit of a deterrent? I was thinking maybe putting some eyelets on the lid and main body so a padlock could be passed through but any suggestions would be good.
Cheers

Where will you be leaving it alone? In a youth hostel, in a forest somewhere? What is it that you are most worried about losing.

If someone wants your pack and its contents they will get it, nothing will stop them, chaining it up or wrapping it in a steel mesh type thing will simply encourage them.

If you are in a hostel or similar the best deterrent is to have a pack that looks much crappier than everyone else's, additionally don't leave it packed and easy for someone to take, scatter your stuff over the bed, make sure most of it looks used and not particularly valuable.

If you are in the wild, hide the pack and empty some of its contents and place them nearby.

Even better, try not to travel with anything that you are going to be so worried about losing, keep all the important stuff with you.

:)

Last edited:

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Packsafes are a great idea and when they are set up right it will take quite a bit to get into them without drawing suspicion. I know people who have used them all over the world and have been glad to have them. You can put a rain cover over the pacsafe if you don't want to draw too much attention to the bag.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
The other obvious downside to the Pacsafe is the weight.
I have one for my 55L pack which weighs nearly a kilo!I have only taken it out for one trip.
I think sandbender gives very sound advice here.Make it look scruffy and carry the stuff you value on you at all times.
Travelling is always a time when you are vulnerable so extra vigilance is probably worth more than a little security.
Cheers , Simon

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
which country are you planning to go?!

An earlier thread suggested six months in South Africa. In which case the OP shouldn't fret about pack security, if someone wants to steal your gear they will, Don't place so much importance on your pack or the gear in it, enjoying the trip is the important thing.

You will find that you can pick up replacement gear or stuff that will do the job across all of South Africa and quite cheaply too. :)

Last edited:

potboiler

Jan 20, 2009
Dorset
Part of the selling point of mesh covers is that they're 'slashproof',so they may have a value if you're going to be in crowds doing the tourist thing. They will also slow down a thief intent on a quick rummage, but don't expect full scale security.
If your kit is left alone then I'd echo the suggestions of separation of valuables, together with the deterrent qualities of used socks near the top of the pack!

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I was thankful of the wire cover for my rucksack coming back from Australia, when I got it off the carousel at Heathrow the wire was actually cut and seriously mangled, if I hadn't my bag and hilleberg tent would have been shredded

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I'm reading Ray Mear's autobiography at the moment and there is a section where he is in Africa and covers his rucksack with a grain sack to make it look less interesting. I'd imagine it would only work in very specific areas, but I thought it was a clever idea.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
If someone tries to take your pack, pull away like you think it is snagged on something.

If they persist and escalate the force used, just let your bag drop and get away from them.

Desperately poor people may use desperate means, at the end of the day the pack can be replaced.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Can always go with the classic false bottom full of glass, stops the buggers if they slash the bottom to catch the contents whilst your walking through built up areas.

That will get you killed buddy, not to mention being totally unworkable in practice.

Or was it written in sarcastic font and I've missed the punchline? :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I'm not the world traveler I was, I still get out now and again but not as much as before.

On all my journeys the two most irreplaceable items (apart from my life and health) have been my camera and my journal. I have lost neither (permanently anyway).

Back in the days of film I would write a postal address on all my 35mm cassettes, these days the first photograph on all of my memory cards is an image of an email address and text indicating of a small reward for the images on that card.

As most cameras can readily photograph documents and have ample storage I will often take the time to photograph the pages of journals, drawings, notes, maps etc. And as internet access is surprisingly ubiquitous everywhere I will often upload my memory cards to a spare google or dropbox account.

Some folks are travelling to climb mountains and are carrying several thousand pounds worth of climbing gear, others may be packing very expensive camera or video gear. In cases such as these Pacsafes and the like may be of use and probably won't way you down any more than you already are.

If not, travel light, buy local and enjoy the journey.

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE