Planning Any alternatives to Sweden for easy wilderness canoeing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Antonymous

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2012
Yorkshire
Like the title says are there other alternatives to Sweden for an easy wilderness trip.
I would love a week's canoeing, in a wilderness setting, that is further south, as my wife will want a week on the beach.

Any suggestions?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Southern Germany, Poland, Czech Republic.
Better food than in Sweden/Scandinavia and Finland.

You want to be close to your wife's beach destination? In that case, you can be in the Carpathian mountains ands he can be on the Black sea beaches. (Romania)

If she does not mind chillier water and weather,, there are some fantastic beaches around the coast of Scania (southern part of Sweden). And no beach vendors or harassments...

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Does Canada not have anywhere suitable?

What about France? Is it Ardeche gorge? There's easy and harder sections there. Not sure about the beaches but if you're talking a week doing your thing then a week on the beaches then you could always move on from there to any one of the excellent French coastlines.

If you're up for a real challenge then I've heard Corsica has amazing whitewater rivers to paddle and due to protection if the coastline under law there's some amazing places where you can only camp without coastal holiday developments. Amazing coastline in believe. Just the rivers are snow melt and quite big water too.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Canada is full of flat water canoe trips, every thing imaginable from the fur trade routes on the Churchill River
to aimless magnificent paddles like doing the Bowron Lakes loop (reservation required).

Just how wild does it have to be? That can be arranged.
Locally, we have mountain tributaries to the Fraser River which are too wild for anyone.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Nah. Myth. You can swim in the Churchill, down from Missinippe, end of July.
Get all soaped up and take the plunge. Then take your clothes off and do it again.

Talk about the lazy days of summer = find a bay of clear water, fine yellow sand-packed for 100m in every direction.

Personally, I'd like to do a long camping canoe trip across a dozen lakes in the Ontario shield country.
Rock, water and trees. Camping on islands gives you better odds with the bears.
Where I live, you walk. Hundreds of miles of abandoned logging roads, infested with bears.
Most of them won't go down for another month, several right in the village that have been dealt with.

Reactions: santaman2000

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE