Alternative to Craghopper winter trousers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Yeah first bit of cold weather and I'm reaching for my winter trousers already. I must be getting old :redface: Sadly I've only now remembered how many repairs my Craghoppers need so I'm looking for a second pair. The Craghoppers are fine but it looks like the colour range hasn't improved beyond the Model-T Ford black only option that they've always come in. Has anyone found any good winter trousers alternatives for general use? I don't really need anything too extreme but the Craghoppers have a nice edge over normal trousers without resorting to longjohns.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I have no idea why they haven't got the same colour range as their standard kiwis - but the black pepper ones (sort of dark grey) are reduced to £27 at the moment!

I haven't found an equivalent value pair of winter trousers I'm afraid.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
For 27quid I could probably put up with a slightly less black than black colour. Maybe they stick to dark colours to better absorb any heat from the sun? I don't really like the craghopper belt loops or lack of a second leg pocket but I love the zip pockets and the inner pocket for a SAK on the leg. They do tend to need constant repairs though. It's hard to find the perfect cargo trouser these days.

*Dusty*

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2011
N Ireland
I have no idea why they haven't got the same colour range as their standard kiwis - but the black pepper ones (sort of dark grey) are reduced to £27 at the moment!

I haven't found an equivalent value pair of winter trousers I'm afraid.

Do you mind me asking where you saw them at that price? I wear them for work but constantly put holes in them. They're easily the best vfm I've found too, normally buy them in debenhams January sale for £25 or so.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Ah the C65 doesn't have the zip pockets like the Kiwi does which is the main sell for me. The Kiwis are £32.50 on Amazon though so not a huge amount more.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Which ones do you get? I bought some from GoOutdoors a few year back, have Grey and Green. They aren’t Kiwi, but the standard below, I think I paid £15.

I also have a pair of Regatta ones, the quality seems the same, but more pockets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I just found Kiwis on Amazon for £27.49 but only in black.

Has anyone tried Brasher lined trousers? They look pretty good on paper and do a nice brown colour but I can't find many reviews.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I have to admit to never bothering to use my winter Craghoppers - I just find them itchy and uncomfortable. Instead, Aldi do a 'winter hiking' trouser a couple of times a year on special purchase, which are fantastic. Water resistant, comfortable lining, and actually not too hot to wear in the house. Were about £14 the last time I looked.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Yep the seam splits on all of mine. I'm getting pretty good at heavy duty repairs but the lining on the winter trousers complicated matters though.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Has anyone tried Brasher lined trousers? They look pretty good on paper and do a nice brown colour but I can't find many reviews.

Well I ordered a pair of these and they just arrived. I'm not very impressed. They're almost a carbon copy of the Craghoppers but the sizing is way out, I always wear a 32" waist which is loose on me but these are very tight even with the elastic waist band. I'm tempted to try a 34" but unlike Blackpool tower there's no ballroom in these :rolleyes: The side zip pockets are too small to fit anything in and make the waist even tighter if you try. And the colour is nothing like the photos online. It's shown as brown but they're basically grey with a mild hint of brown, it's a nice enough colour but not the brown they show on the website. Side by side with my 'Bark' coloured Craghoppers you can't tell the difference (is it me or is bark the least descriptive colour name they could have used?). The thermal lining also stops just below the knee for some reason. Needless to say they're going back. :shifty:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE