Alt berg ledger Gris

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tom89

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
England
Hi can the ledger Gris that altberg say you should use on their boots be used for shining boots or is it just for protection?

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
It will put a shine on your boots, but you will not manage to "highly polish" with it. It is a far superior polish than the kiwi/cherry polish as it is made from a blend of organic/synthetic waxes and therefore is held in the leather instead of sitting on the surface like most commercial silicon based waxes/polishes. The extreme is quite dubbin like and should be used sparingly. One a week for hard worn footwear.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
I lightly apply brown ledergris to my brown work Altbergs every night and then use the 'off-brush' in the morning.

Often get asked how I get the colour and shine right when loads of the blokes use Kiwi which causes a strange purple-ish tinge and waxy appearance.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
You should not use Kiwi on the new issue boots, your sqms/cqms should have told you that when they issued them, they wreck the boots. you can only use Leder gris on them, because of the treatment Altberg use on their boots, the Hawg and Lowa do not have the treatment and they are OK with Kiwi. :)

The best thing is all my black polish isn't needed so now I can use the tins for stoves or char cloth tins or tinderboxes :) so not totally wasted :)

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Interesting, i've used altbergs for many years(black)& have now retired & got a pair of brown ones. Always used kiwi on the black without any issues. I have been using kiwi on my new brown ones, so i've got to stop then & get some leder gris ?

Rob

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
not necessary if you are not in any more :) only really effects people are still in and the Sergeant Majors don't like purple boots. it is something to do with the oils in kiwi reacting to those of the leather treatment of the brown altbergs. I use black kiwi on my black boots and that is fine it is just a colour thing. It only seems to be the new issue altbergs it happens with not the civi ones

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
All the different brands of issued boots turn purple from what I've seen, including the fabric panels on the Bates, so I suspect it must be the polish and not the boot.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
The kiwi mid tan is OK to use on the brown boots.

Kiwi dark tan is mid-tan with red dye added, thus causes the purple tinge.

Apparently this is a known problem in the shoe world.

That said, I'm sticking with the brown ledergris.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
I spoke to a lassie in Altberg last week about what to use on their boots and they said either Leder Gris or a similar wax based product. Do not use boot polish as it can actually form a barrier to waterproof the boots and it stops the boots absorbing the nutrients that keeps the leather "alive" and stops cracking.

I have only used their product on my boots as I want to keep them in tip top condition.

She did say that if the boots are scratched then use some polish to cover the scratches but use it sparingly and do not do the whole boot. I suggested warming the wax and painting it on with a fine brush along the scratch and she said that was an excellent idea but not too hot and not too much.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
I use Altberg Leder gris on all my leather boots now, It really works for me. It seems to penetrate the leather further and gives a long lasting waterproofing. It does not smell chemically harsh like say Kiwi.

I also use the Altberg leder gris extreme to bring old leather back to life, it worked a treat on some 1961 date stamped French Army Ranger Boots I have.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE