A VERY Delicate subject

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Weird that i just ordered that book on friday :shock: Stayed on a coconut plantation in Srilanka once and had a great bog made out of palm leaves with an old tin roof, it was like a reptile/amphibian shop inside every time i went i was watching lizards and tree frogs and a great big pepsis wasp buzzing about, heaven in a karzy :wink: didn't stay in there to long though as the cockroaches carried you out if you got too comfy :roll:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
BIG-TARGET said:
Note: If you want to move or delete this , I'll understand. BUT I consider this an aspect of living in the woods that few, in any survival forum, has ever given any seriuos air time to!!!!
DUMPOLOGY 101

I've no problem with it at all, just keep it on subject and make sure that some people don't use it as an opportunity to use language that's usually unacceptable.
The whole hygiene thing is very relevant to bushcraft, Emma started a very good thread the other day on menstrual issues while out and about.

The human waste issue of hygiene is something that gets swept under the proverbial carpet far too often, it's a serious issue for all of us that love the outdoors, whether it's what we do or do not leave for others or what they leave for us :wink:

That’s a good link Big T, thought provoking and amusing in it’s own way :biggthump

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
As long as it is properly buried, and i mean properly buried. Then it's fine. I think it's disgusting if you come across unproperly disposed of toilet tissue and its partner(s)!...

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
A year or so ago I was trying a V13 problem up in the peak district and after spending a few hours falling off the first move I realized there was a big poo someone had just stuck a rock on top of!

On top of the indignity of failing miserably on the climb I realised my bouldering mat had someone elses poo on the corner, I had to try and put a plastic bag over the top and jet wash it at a petrol station.

When I climb, I make sure I go before I get to the crag and if i'm away for a little while I always dig a fairly large hole. You could always try what dog walkers do and bag it for removal.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
when out and about (in the wilds(british countryside)) and nature calles my method is to dig a hole.. around a foot deep if possible.. do my thing in it.. stir in a bit of mud.. cover over.. burn the paper.. make sure its out! believe it or not bogrole takes a fair old time to brake down so its best not to bury it with your "train mix" :naughty:

people seem to think that the tours on top of dartmoor are a good place to do it! ok when nature calles you got to go but this is a little silly lets say you are with a party of walkers and you get to the top.. everyone sits down and leans againts the pile, you got to go so you go "round the corner" dig up a bit of the turf do your bussiness and put the turf back.. a few days later/weeks/months later another party.. or your party return from a different direction and come to the summit from a different direct.. "goodness who would have done that there.... oh hold on didnt we sit round the corner last time" it annoys me no end!!

im really in a ranting mood tonight.. dont get me started on those who "put a rock on it" im glad to see BCUK members are getting it right!

2p (can we have a 2p emoticon please)

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
another thing that infruiates me is when some guys/girls dig the hole near water sources, or when water run off can be effected. I once had a go at a group who decided a flat area near a river was soft to dig only after i explained that water can rise did they decided to go well away. when the urge comes do they lose there marbles as well??????

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Yep, I bury or bag it depending on where I am and how long I'll be there.

I've found that to go comfortably I either squat (like I learned to travelling India....there's an art to not pooping into your pants :nono: ) or if you put your feet either side of a small tree (up to about a foot diametre), put my cupped hands round the tree a bit like a safety strap for climbing telegraph poles and then just hang/sit back and....... well you get the idea :eek:):
Second method works well when in a hurry and you don't want to drop your bergan just to go to the loo.....

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I'm not entirely sure it's relevant what people wipe with but just to enter into the spirt of things....I take paper with me, use paper hankeys, news paper, leaves, moss, and if there's nothing else then a plastic bag of water....I'm fairly easy going and will use whatever is to hand so long as it's not an irritant and that I can safely burn/bury it with my "offering" when I'm done.

I believe the Romans all used spunge's.

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Hiya,

As per "Trail" magazines advice. A little vaseline does the trick and no messy toilet paper to dispose of :)

I was a little dubious at first and had to check that I wasn't reading the April 1st issue !! But the proof is in the pudding so to speak. i'll see if I can dig the article out later just to show that I'm not making it up. Honest. :shock:

Cheers,

Martin

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
bambodoggy said:
I'd like to see that article.....it makes a lot of sence when you think about it but I'd like a little more detail before I try it out!

Here it is (I hope).

Trail magazine March 2004. P36
bogroll.jpg

And the following letter appeared the following month;

bogroll1.jpg

Hope that helps?

Martin

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Ok....I'm sold, I'll give it a go next time I'm out and about......mind you it does mean I'll have to carry the slimey stuff which I don't usually have any need for...

Cheers for scanning that lot Martin :eek:):

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Boots sell tiny little pots of it. Cost about £1. They even do a version with Aloe Vera if your feeling somewhat "Chafed"
Just don't mix it up with your lip balm :yikes:

I must admit, I was mildly anxious the first time I tried it. If I heard "Dueling banjos" start playing, I would have been out of there like a shot !!! :shock:

Martin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE