A spoon without a spoon knife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I recently found myself in a real life survival situation - standing in the woods with a yoghurt and no spoon. No problem, I thought. I will whittle myself a spoon from yonder birch sapling. So I drank the yoghurt and selected a suitable branch.
The only tool I had with me was my SAK hiker which is equipped with a saw but...no spoon knife!
Not to be easily put off I whittled a spoon shaped object hoping to come up with a plan to form the bowl. When it came to it, I just carved what was possible with the blade I had.
This is the result:
uploadfromtaptalk1422055467621.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1422055495649.jpg

Before someone says that it is wonky, it is meant to be like that: my mouth is significantly off centre!

Z

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
No reason on earth not to be proud of that one.
For me? Obviously not cranked out by machine.

Since it's birch, let it dry thoroughly. Preheat your kitchen oven to 325F.
Slather the spoon with any food safe oil. On a rack, on a pan, into the oven
for 3 minutes by the clock (or it will cook!). Charles' Law in gas physics
dictates that the heated air will expand, out of the oven, cooling, the contracting
wood air will suck the oil down into the wood much further than any room temperature application.
Not even hot soup can make the oil move again. I did about 100 that way.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Thanks Rory & Brian. It was produced in an afternoon, but I was working so I had to keep putting it down.
I'm going to remember this shape - I think of it like a small fire shovel - as it produces a functioning spoon without special tools.
I have seen people struggling to hollow a spoon by balancing hot charcoal on them or the less than satisfactory method suggested in the whittling book I have and still not coming out with a spoon you would eat with.

Z

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
That looks really good. I have done a good number of spoons with no spoon knife over the years. I actually started with an old Swiss Army knife it's still something I do now and then just for old times sake

Tom Gold

Forager
Nov 2, 2012
Scotland
www.thetreeline.co.uk
I recently found myself in a real life survival situation - standing in the woods with a yoghurt and no spoon.

Heh heh brilliant! Nice looker. Have had to do this myself in a similarly precarious scenario involving a packet of Ainslie Harriot couscous (superb trail snack btw)

Thanks for sharing, T

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's great, puts me in mind of the old "neccessity is the mother............." Some of the best things I have came from those moments of "how can I.......?"

Gary Elson

Feb 27, 2007
Bulkington Warwickshire
Hi Zingmo
Good job you found yourself in a wood with your yoghurt
Imagine how limited your options would have been had you been in Tesco's car park
Lucky escape well executed I guess

Gary

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
While we are on the subject. Any ideas on carving a wpoon without a spoon knife?

One idea that came to my head but have not been tested yet, was to carve a cone shaped depression in the wood, or even chisel out something squareish. And then finding a round stone to smooth it out with a drilling motion.

Any other ideas?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
One technique here in the Pacific Northwest was to burn the spoon bowl with smallish heated rocks from the fire.
The char was scraped out with abalone shell.
I've found lots of tumbled/oval river stones which should work well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE