A small website about fire...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
This is something that I started writing a good while ago (probably almost a year ago) and then never got round to finishing, but having just read rich59's excellent post on hand drill fires, its spurred me on in working to get it finished.

http://www.pyrology.org.uk

About the only bit that I consider 'finished' in any way is the page on the bow drill, which has a video of a bow drill in use - the other pages all have some bits and bobs, but a lot of it is just my own opinion and experience, your mileage may vary (and I would really like any comments you may have!)

rich59 - I'll PM you, but wold you mind me including your post on hand drilling, or at the very least, cribbing it in great part to extend my own page (which is quite lacking in detail) ?

Hope this helps some people - I am more than happy to take any suggestions, or better, contributions to make this a truly useful source of information on all things to do with fire.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
I thought I had the same problem James, but a menu does appear (occationally) if you hover in the top left corner.

Match, there is a problem with the navigation not being visable all the time which you'll need to investigate.

The bowdrill page is very good and the video rekindled (pun intended) my own feeling of euphoria.

Moduser

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Ooer,
When trying to play the Bowdrill video, I get the soundtrack alright but the image consists of the Windows Media flowing colour thingies moving in time with the narration - how wierd is that. :confused:
I'm hoping that its a problem with the works PC but it'll be another few days before I get to try at home.

Looks to be building into a good site Match.

ATB

Ogri the trog

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Thanks for the comments - good to know poeple don't think its terrible :D

It looks like the menu's have stopped working in Internet Explorer, I'm sure I had workarounds in place for its bugs before :banghead:

Works fine in Mozilla/Firefox/Opera/Safari...

I'll have a fiddle with it later, see if the code is fixable.

EDIT: Fixed so the menu appears all the time, but have also noticed that the last inch or so of the page is missing in Exploder...

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
The site is great except that your frames or page sizes look like they are set to a specific screen size rather than 100% so i cannot see half of the tutorials. :(

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
andyn said:
The site is great except that your frames or page sizes look like they are set to a specific screen size rather than 100% so i cannot see half of the tutorials. :(

The site is set to be viewable on any screen resolution, but because of the width of the title bar and menu, its best viewed at above 800x600 (but then very few people run below this these days - bushcraftUK also looks funny below this resolution).

I'm guessing this is another Internet Explorer non-standard code rendering bug which I'm going to have to fix - but please let me know if you're using a standards-compliant browser and there are still issues.

EDIT: Right - that /should/ be it fixed for Internet Explorer... 50% bug and 50% my coding at fault... :rolleyes:

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Biddlesby said:
Just wondering - is birch bark meant to be both an extender and an igniter?

Just noticed I've put it in both extender and igniter categories on the tinder page, but not explained why.

Very fine shavings of birch bark are thin enough to glow and 'extend', but thicker pieces tend to behave more like wood, although being higher in natural oils they ignite very easily.

Page updated - thanks for pointing this out!

Reactions: Toddy

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
match said:
The site is set to be viewable on any screen resolution, but because of the width of the title bar and menu, its best viewed at above 800x600 (but then very few people run below this these days - bushcraftUK also looks funny below this resolution).

I'm guessing this is another Internet Explorer non-standard code rendering bug which I'm going to have to fix - but please let me know if you're using a standards-compliant browser and there are still issues.

EDIT: Right - that /should/ be it fixed for Internet Explorer... 50% bug and 50% my coding at fault... :rolleyes:

Vertically the problem is resolved as i can now see all the content but I have to use the side to side scroll bar to see all the content on the horizontal.

My res is 1280x1024 using IE6. Problem is the same with or without the favorites bar turned on.

Not the end of the world but something you may want to tidy up to ease reading :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE