A small crop of Strawberries ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Huh - those blummin pests ... Wild Strawbs can take over our garden if we are not careful, they bury the potato crop and block the paths .... tasty little beggars though and the jam is great!

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
I've got a few at the minute

cf6b7988cc56c0ecde474a333267d96a.jpg

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I'm quite partial to strawberries myself ~ that and blueberries :) . It's the size which makes me chuckle :eek: :D

.. Wild Strawbs can take over our garden if we are not careful, they bury the potato crop and block the paths ...

Ours are starting to go that way ~ The original Wild Strawberry plant (singular) came to us from Herself's Granddad's garden and went into a big pot. Now it's colonised the original pot and is doing a good job of hiding half (so far) the length of the concrete kerb on the fence side of the drive. It's happy to frequent the paving edges under the camellia, but hasn't shown any ability to share the same bed ...

... tasty little beggars though ...

Aren't they just. Diminutive little pockets of taste :approve:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We don't have any wild ones :(

We are getting 12 pounds a day of normal ones though. Our neighbours love us right now ;)

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
We've got heaps of them growing round here, unfortunately they grow mainly along the paths used by dog walkers (including me) and pretty much the entire crop has been irrigated by doggy pee......so I tend to leave them to the local wildlife to enjoy ;)

Used to have a decent size patch in my old garden and they did taste yummy :)

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
One of my first wild food memories was eating tiny strawbs on a walk in the Lincolnshire Wolds with my dad - we saw a pond teeming with spawning coarse fish too. Remember it like it was yesterday and not oger 30 years ago!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
We have a tiny suburban garden all planted with flowers. Stuck in two strawberry plants - had a punnet's worth of strawberries from them so far and they are still producing!

The soil is bloody amazing, I have to mow at least once a week or it becomes a jungle, a small catmint plant is now a meter across and an a meter high, we can't eat all the sage and herbs.

Wish the garden was 5 times the size.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Soil is everything when it comes to gardening!

This lot is becoming 24 pounds of soft set jam at the moment.

Strawberries by British Red, on Flickr

We are betting bored with processing strawberries to be honest.

Also I was wondering, my strawberries are in a fruit cage (no net yet) and have been in the same spot for numerous years. I replaced them all about 2 years ago with new plants and the yields have been much lower. I was wondering if it is the plants or if it is the soil as they grow out of holes in a thick weed sheet which was set up long before I moved into the house

Will they still be fine in the same spot without digging up the soil and adding compost/fertiliser? It isn't a small job to move the sheet and frame so if there is an easier way of doing it that would be good.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
In theory three to four years is the maximum in one spot because of disease build up and nutrient deficit. That said, you can extend life by removing the membrane and working in several inches of organic matter.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
In theory three to four years is the maximum in one spot because of disease build up and nutrient deficit. That said, you can extend life by removing the membrane and working in several inches of organic matter.

The local pick-your-own farm has had theirs in the same spot since before I moved here some 26 years ago.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE